Exodus - Crossing the Red Sea
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Exodus - Crossing the Red Sea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Exodus - Crossing the Red Sea

Hi there!

This image is 50% done, it represents the final of the Passage of the Red Sea by Moses, leading the Israelites on their escape out of Egypt to the Promised Land, as described in Biblical Exodus chapters 14:15 to 14:28.

"Then the LORD said to Moses, "Stretch out your hand over the sea so that the waters may flow back over the Egyptians and their chariots and horsemen." 27 Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and at daybreak the sea went back to its place. The Egyptians were fleeing toward it, and the LORD swept them into the sea. 28 The water flowed back and covered the chariots and horsemen—the entire army of Pharaoh that had followed the Israelites into the sea. Not one of them survived."

Constructive critiques are expected!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, nice rendering!

Although, without your telling us what it's supposed to be, I would't know what it is aside from some serious water movement. If it's supposed be people crossing the sea on dry land, you should probably have some indication of a path or people at a recognizable distance or somthing. An iconic Moses with a staff or something would be good, something that would let the viewers know when this is, and what's going on.

Oh, one other thing if those dots are supposed to be the army getting covered by the water, I kinda doubt that you'd actually be seeing them, especially with that amount of water hitting them, and they still look a bit to unified to have been hit with tons of water. Your camera angle doesn't really help tell the story because, we can't really see what's going on.

Last edited by David_a_ray; December 21st, 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: because I can

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Red Sea parts for Moses and behind him is a pillar of fire holding off the Pharaoh's army from reach Moses and his followers, giving them time to cross unimpeded. Is this what you are depicting? If so, then your pillar should be made of fire, not water. Putting that aside the painting is lovely and very well done.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    Thanks for commenting.

The moment that I am trying to represent is when the israelites had already crossed to the other side, and than Moses Stretched out his hand over the sea, and the water flowed back and covered the entire army of Pharaoh.

The people next to the viewer is the israelites, and the points that appears far between the waves is the Army oh Pharaoh. What covers the israelites is not a big wave but the "pillar of cloud" that moved itself and stood between the armies of Egypt and Israel, as described in: Exodus 14:19 Then the angel of God, who had been traveling in front of Israel's army, withdrew and went behind them. The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them, 20 coming between the armies of Egypt and Israel.

I appreciated your comments! I'll try to correct the mentioned points!

Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorleaf View Post
    The Red Sea parts for Moses and behind him is a pillar of fire holding off the Pharaoh's army from reach Moses and his followers, giving them time to cross unimpeded. Is this what you are depicting? If so, then your pillar should be made of fire, not water. Putting that aside the painting is lovely and very well done.

Hi!
    Thanks for commenting!

Well, I dont think so, because the pillar of fire only appeared at night, as described in Exodus 13:21 By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light.

The moment that the waves went back was in the morning, because of it that I used the pillar of cloud: Exodus 14:26 Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and at daybreak the sea went back to its place.

14:19: The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them, 14:20 coming between the armies of Egypt and Israel

But I need to retouch the pillar... it still looks like a pillar of water hehe...

Thanks for you comments!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.