Art: White white and more white. What are your whites?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

White white and more white. What are your whites?

Soo, for some reason Ive been under the impression that "any old white" will do, regardless of brand. Mainly because in my mind mixing titanium dioxide and linseed is very difficult to screw up, contrary to other hues. I have recently purchased some Grumbacher Flake white, big tube supposed to be genuine, but costs a measly 17 bucks comparing to about 40 if i got the same from Williamsburg paints. Same with a massive tube from Pebeo, Tit white, about 7 bucks comparing to about 20 from W&N. Ive also used Permalba ( a little to stiff for my taste) also 20 smackers.
    What are your guys thoughts on your whites? Im particualry interested in any experiences with flake/cremnitz white and your different brands.

Will a white from a cheaper brand be "worse" than a more expensive?

Oh and that pleine air box I was gonna build and show about 3 months ago is about to be finished, watch out for some photos in the next week or so!

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't used flake/cremnitz/silver/whatever white before. I use W&N under painting white because it dries super fast, although it's quite stiff. when I start to layer I mix it with W&N flake white hue and that increases the drying time and takes away the stiffness. I don't think a 120ml tube of under painting white costs more than $20

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I mostly use Zinc, it's transparent and not overpowering, I can kinda fade things out with it.

If I need to cover something titanium.

Generally, I'll mix the two 50/50

I'm in Europe so no Flake or lead white for me.. :/ The government doesn't trust me to not eat it.

Edit: W&N Artists stuff, art stores are rather limited here and it's readily available.

Last edited by Flake; December 22nd, 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.