'Unfaithful' WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 'Unfaithful' WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face 'Unfaithful' WIP

I'm having a little trouble with this WIP. I'm wanting him to look semi-human, having human qualities other than his abnormally long neck and oddly shaped head. Otherwise, I think I have made his legs too muscular for his feminine arm and hand... also I am having a load of trouble with the mouth and not able to find an Ok reference for it...

Dark lines are more developed and confident ones.

Any help/critique [that is able to be given] is appreciated!

(notes: His ring finger of his left hand is supposed to be 'chopped off', his neck is wanted to be long, and him to be slender and feminine and strange skull structure other than facial features)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my first suggestion is to create a sketch using basic shapes and a line of action -- before adding muscles and clothing. right now the sketch seems to be suffering from proportion issues.

My sketchbook is here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to softocean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Photograph yourself in that pose.
    -Draw up studies of the photograph(s)
    -Use your studies as a baseline then add desired distortions as needed. Be sure to emphasize rhythm and all that good stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Havoc-DM and softocean!

I've played with the head and arm a bit, and I've got them to fit the proportion of his legs and torso better I believe. I started drawing the upper half of the body and had an idea for the lower half and luckily found a reference for the lower half in Posemaniacs, so his lower half is a bit more muscular from the reference. Possibly I should make the judgement to go back and make him all together more muscular and male.

I will do my best to find/get other references.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

I've tweaked his proprtions a bit, let me know if I am in the right direction?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do have one suggestion for you: the figure appears to be supporting his weight on the tips of his toes. Try putting him on the balls of his feet to support his weight. I think it might look more, "comfortable"?

In other news, I like the way you tweaked his pose, it looks much more in proportion. Keep going with this idea, it's looking good.

--edit--One thing I did just now notice is that the arm we can see, starting from the elbow and ending about halfway down the arm its a more foreshortened view. Now, notice his hand is a profile view. We should see all 4 knuckles, and some of where the thumb branches out. Also try to get a hand going from that arm that is clothed completely.

The knee touching the ground should not be round because the Femur doesnt touch the ground - the front of the upper part of the Tibia is what touches the ground. Where one bone ends and one bone begins, there's some curves and stuff happening.

Also, the back foot is off too - if you lower the angle of the leg going back to the foot, bring the distal part of the foot up more (distal is "away from the body") and make one or two small curves at the ankle to indicate the skin folding, that should make it look better.

Not trying to sound bossy, it just sort of came out that way. Remember I don't have any references, you do - so if thats how it looks referenced, I'd stay with it. Somehow I don't think it will, but if it is well you're golden then. Keep everyone posted!

Last edited by hitnrun; February 22nd, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thought i'd give you a hand, check out the Draw over i done bellow, just to give you an idea of where the spine would be and for you to see how the cloths would react over the body.. Hope it helps, if not no worries.. i'll come back in a couple days to see you're progress.

Keep it up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.