Anime! (huuuge delivery) - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still see a not so good attitude there.
    You will ALWAYS have to work on the basics.
    Drawing from life is not something you have to do a few times to become an artist.

Maybe read fredflickstones reply to Alex Gering's question in this thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&threadid=9812

I have yet to see serious steps in the right direction from you.
    You ignore the important points people bring up.

Btw at Deviantart you can look for stock photography as reference.
    Some of the photographers just want a note ...
    some want to see what you do with the image ...
    some just allow you to use their images for work you submit at Deviantart.
    Just read the rules.
    http://stockart.deviantart.com/women/

Last edited by Signature; December 1st, 2003 at 12:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for the link signature...if i don't sound convined or convincing enough now,it's probably b/c my tablet is f*cking it up for me.the damn pencil won't work.ok,i'll really try hard to do studies as often as i can...i know i gotta practice bodies,coz i have practiced heads too much and neglected the bodies.believe it or not.in former times i used to just draw a head and put it onto some cubic things(mostly an evening suit) without the slightest perspective,so drawing faces isn't too hard for me at this stage(except for shading sometimes and to let them look realistic).
    my attitude is my attitude.it will take some time to change it.thanx.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you should try charcoal I saw you mentioned that pencil is annoying to you. I have just recently started doing quick sketches with charcoal (chek my sketchbook here on conceptart) and my hand feels like its gliding above the paper. I love it... Just waiting to get some A2 paper so I can do BIG drawings anywho.. keep it up. Great attitude I see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx talmir
    well,it's not exactly that i'm annoyed by pencils now,just that i want to try some new materials.the thing bugging me most is that i haven't done too much in colour yet(which isn't too good to do with a pencil/colour pencils).recently i tried acrylics in school and am pretty keen on buying ones for myself at home.(they're great to use imo)then i'll also be able to work at a larger scale.imo it's almost impossible to work at small scale with acrylics.atleast it must be larger than a3 for further works i think.will see if i'll be able to present something then.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im new here, and it took me like an hour to read over everything that has been said. I usually goto Penciljack but was recomended to go here by a friend. Carnifex... you're far from quarter way from being a professional artist. You're like 3/2136781 the way there. At least that's the attitude you gota have. I dont mean to be harsh but you're sitting on a high branch right now when you shouldn't be.

I'd have to disagree with whoever said to be very detailed with everything you do as a beginner. That's horribley ignorant. Burne Hogarth is the way to go. If you go too detailed too early, you'll miss out on too much from trying to understand everything early on. You can't understand the flexors and extensors of the lower leg if you can't draw the leg to begin with. And you shouldn't go so damn detailed so early. If you spend 10 hours drawing one crappy detailed picture... you didn't improve. If you spend 10 hours drawing a crap ton of gesture studies, then you're getting somewhere.

Get away from anime before you seriously decide to do anymore drawing. There is no such thing as "enough studying." That's a cop out.

You gota learn to crawl before you can run.

How can someone expect to walk when all they are worried about is stepping on the ants?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well,thanx again for the input,but as i said earlier i'm not thinking about going into anime seriously because i know it's got too much flaws for me.
    and my way of doing something isn't,as you maybe believe,doing one hour a detailed but uselessly wrong picture,but to do many many small crappy things to then do a detailed picture now and then.hope i stated that clear for once.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted a pretty bad picture on a different forum and the best comment I got was something along the lines of "learn to draw real people before drawing cartoony people." I'm still working on it, but it helps a TON.

Yeah, you like that, idiot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because, this site is more devoted to professional conceptual artist or aspiring professionals and fine arts. As opposed to anime/manga.
    I almost got through this thread without registering and everything to debate what people are saying bout anime and stuff...then got to that one and i just had to reply....granted its not the mona lisa, but if it were then there'd be no originality with anything. and i understand that each art style has its own "habitat" that it thrives in, realistic art thrives places like this site, or museums or whatnot, and anime would thrive at other sites or at conventions....and i also respect others like and dislikes and wish not to flame you or anyone here...mearly would like you to clearify that statement a bit because it sounds like you are saying anime and manga isn't a professional style of art?....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have this discussion often with people in real life. If you learn anime before you learn the basics of art it is anime. Great you copied someone else's "AWSEOMESTEST!!11" character ever. If you learn the basics of art and then decide to simplify your style down and down and down again so that it is manga, you will bring something new to it. Maybe you wanted a simplified style so you could experiment with colours, shadows etc. Maybe you simplified it because you are constantly doing sequential art and time is a factor.

One who draws anime with concepts of anatomy and colour theory will create great work. One who draws anime because they love anime will be able to copy someone else's work. This is the conclusion I've came to with several different people talking about the same topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    while i do agree with you about some points here because they reflect my ability (for the most part) when i first started i drew pokemon from a book i had, they came out great and i take as much pride in them as all my others...my first anime person was my own, while not the best it came out quite good (as far as first time goes) the only thing i "helped" myself with was the eyes, which i used one of the magic creatures from card capture sakura, the second one i did was a little girl and she was my first unique drawing with the exception again of postion with eyes and what not, i just used a how to book of mine for help....i haven't drawn any anime since with the exception of a couple goku's and part of a gohan, i did then go and create my own little fan fic comic based on dbz and a charactor of my own, it was stick figure with big hair lol, i was mainly going for humor with it, then one other strip that was to be published in the school paper that never happened....

but anyhoo...i also disagree that drawing anime that you're just copying someone else...again i use me as an example...with the exception of the eyes my first drawings were unique (i only copied pokemon...and that seemed to help me develope more of my own technique i think....)

another example is Akira Toriyama, he is quite possibly the most famous anime artist, he also has one of the most reconizable technics, for those that don't know him, or don't reconize the name, Akira Toriyama created Dragon Ball (his most famous title) but also has others, i don't know them right off hand, i do know he drew the animations for the Chrono trigger/chross series. I read an article/interview of him and he was telling them of how he became an artist, he was telling them that he'd draw everything he say, cars, trees, people, others art work, he said that copying others helped in his artistic development, and in the end as i stated before, he has one of the most unique and famous styles...and believe it or not, but Akira toriyama encourages people to copy him and whoever and whatever else they can cause he believe it helps develop the artist and skills before developing the art style itself.

did you also notice that this post was one long sentence o.O lol

Last edited by darak; May 18th, 2004 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you learn the basics of art and then decide to simplify your style down and down and down again so that it is manga
    I'd like to clairfy that, manga is NOT the simplification of anime by any means...anime is just short for Japanese animation (aka japanese cartoons), manga is the "comic book" version of anime, and infact not always does manga retell what the anime does, for example cowboy bebop manga tells different stories than the show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hyung-Tae Kim also started in plain old manga. Look where he is now. ( of course he has done studies and shit, just to show that is does'nt forever ruins your style or something)

Life is study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was using manga as a synonym for anime. I'll just say it again. Anime created by an artist that learned the basics first is very noticeable and normally very good. Anime created by an artiste who is not interested in art, but of appearing to be interested in art is irritating.

While I was at a portfolio interview with colleges this past year I witnessed some henious acts of anime that has changed my view on it forever. A group of 8 anime artistes sitting down in a circle showing each other anime and only exclaiming "WOW TAHT IS TEH AWESOME!111"(this has been translated to typing they didn't actually talk exactly like that.
    Anyway I'm a huge eavesdropper and if I may add very good at it too =D I keep hearing them all talking about how awesome anime is and how they only draw anime blah blah. Then one says to the group "Yeah, I love anime, and hate people who draw realistically. I mean sure they can draw real but they sure can't do anime."
    Just a little anecdote. It certainly made me fall over. Now, I once drew some anime. I visited a ezboard forum for concept art, then another site www.conceptdesignforum.com, then I got a link to here. I visited. Let me tell you the exact second I stopped drawing anime and started actually LEARNING art: when I looked at the galleries. This site has had profound influence on me and I thank the people who started it up.

Final summation: drawing anime extensively before you have a good grasp of the basics is horrible at stunting artistic growth.

P.S. If my posts on anime have offended anyone I apologize. I can't really do much more than that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.