Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts

How many successfull pieces make a good portfolio?

My goal is to establish about 20 solid pieces by comicon and only show about 10 of the most responsive. Does that sound right?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Display the ones that represent your skills, style and personality as an artist the best. Quality over quantity. Worry about the content of the portfolio rather than the size.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    8 According to Loomis. Maybe more if you're a photographer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    if you're after illustration work (finished paintings) then you should be good with 6-12. You'll do best if they're all cohesive and look like they're done in a consistent style/technique. Err on the side of less. 6 awesome paintings are much more impressive than 6 awesome paintings and 4 ok paintings.

If you're looking for concept work, I have no idea what's standard, but I get the feeling that you're expected to show much more.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks you guys. 8 does sound like a good number. Now I'm thinking 4 I enjoyed working on most and 4 I worked hardest on. Unfortunately they are not the same thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kirpid View Post
    thanks you guys. 8 does sound like a good number. Now I'm thinking 4 I enjoyed working on most and 4 I worked hardest on. Unfortunately they are not the same thing.
    Enjoyed and worked hardest on, neither of those necessarily man your best work. There are some I worked very hard on that still were not great, because I was having trouble with it and it somewhat shows. Other times I've enjoyed a painting a ton because of the subject, and again it's not always my best work (although odds are better that a fun painting will have more going for it).

Gather up your best pieces, and fix up any that you can make better. Pick the best no matter what that number ends up being. If all you have is 6 really good ones, go with those. If you have a few more that are slightly less good, maybe bring them, but only show them if someone asks to see more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The thing about my favorites is they're not technical because they are usually loose and abstract. In my eyes either they are perfect the way they are or they are un-editable because they are water color or ink. The more technical ones are I can always fix and add to, but are less fun because it didn't come naturally.