Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 468 Posts

DSG 1438: Sci-Fantasy • TINDER-MAN, GUNJUGGLER, & THE EGGBABY... BEST OF ROBOT PALS

[ Because I love robots, and want to see more of them. ]

[ ]

Sci-Fantasy • TINDER-MAN, GUNJUGGLER, & THE EGGBABY... BEST OF ROBOT PALS

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Whow..Mr Hand, you have some issues in that head of yours my friend. Or you are listening to some very disturbed people. Nice topic!..

Edit: I had to have a quick go. Had no real clue what to do for Tinderman but I tried.

DSG 1438: Sci-Fantasy • TINDER-MAN, GUNJUGGLER, & THE EGGBABY... BEST OF ROBOT PALS
    Last edited by SOUTHERN; December 20th, 2008 at 03:46 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SOUTHERN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hahaha this has got to be the stranges DSG to date ...heres mine:

Thanks

Robofriends

Here`s my contribution. I confess Tinderman (I have no idea what or who that is) looks a little bit like Bender.

Thanks
    here goes my quick try..

Crysalis is offline There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Thanks
    Lol denzo that looks more like joint-man not tinder-man
    jk

all entries so far look great

Thanks
    Wow, I think I have reached other 'breakthrough' of mine... out of blue I decided to do it at an entirely different approach and to my surprise, it's awfully a lot easier and I could do it far more clean. Learning to see forms definitely helped!

Enjoy!
    Visit my "My Mind's Depth To Beyond" Sketchbook! ~ Full of goodies! Indeed!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysalis View Post
    Lol denzo that looks more like joint-man not tinder-man
    i wasn't sure what tinder mean so i looked it up and this is what it says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinder
    found no other explanation so the "joint"-man was born

Thanks

Thanks
    This one seemed harder than previous ones; maybe it was the inclusion of three separate characters. In any case i didn't have any keen ideas for 2/3 robots. I did a sketch trying to make 'em fit together:

I suppose the gunjuggler (center) wasn't so bad, but that eggbaby was really just phoning it in there. I worked up the tinder-man though, because I thought the idea of a fireplace inside a robot was entertaining...especially if that robot happens to resemble a coke machine.

Needs more details to be a finished sort of thing...also feet or arms. The glowing blue eyes really aren't selling it fully as a robot by themselves.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Desktop Wade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What a nutter topic. ;D

Thanks

tonight my fight is with eisinguard!!!!!

all i want for christmas.....is a thanks for trying....or a meatball!!!!!yeah!!!

Thanks
    nihillix-- the egg with his head on fire..... friggen hilarios
    hamsta----you my friend are a diamond in the rough.....master!!!!!
    desk top wade. your style intrigues me..
    dm7..... great sci fi feel needs warmer tones to seperate things imp...
    crowsrock bender is my role model!!! that's why i have so many problems.... oh screw this i'm going to open up my own theme park with hookers an booze....ahh! forget the theme park just give me the hookers and booze!!!!!LOL....
    sourthern. that's what dsg should truely be...mad respect g

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey - thank you so much for the crit. I'm curious how I would use warm tone to seperate them some more from the background? I'm afraid I'd ruin the... how would I say it... that "trippy" feeling with blue and cool tones?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks
    Sometimes I'm just wondering what I'm actually drawing lol.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wee.

I haven't been able to keep up with the last couple sketch days due to crap at my day job, but I had the time today to beat on this. It's not a subject I regularly tackles so it was a lot of fun for me. I approached it in a more cartoon like manner than I normally would as well which made it even more fun.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruined For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dm7 View Post
    Hey - thank you so much for the crit. I'm curious how I would use warm tone to seperate them some more from the background? I'm afraid I'd ruin the... how would I say it... that "trippy" feeling with blue and cool tones?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    you already started it on your tinder mans? head just follow the light source i guess.....i don't know im just a lush i can barely type and spell when i'm here...get it...lol

24. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Dm7

Thanks
    DM: J.S is spot on and it's that crit that can turn an average sketch into a striking image for me. Your image is essentially a three light rig.

A white/green spot light from the top. A Purple Omni/spot from the bottom either left or right. And finally a blue internal/neon source coming from various characters. All three are cold harsh colors which maybe was the look you want. Warm one of them up or add another subtle one and you strike a better balance.

To make it all gell better you simply need to follow the rules you set down for yourself by placing the lights. If you have purple light hitting the bottom of the gun then it needs to hit the underside of the jugglers legs, under her chin, her rear leg etc. By only placing it on some items it confuses the eye and the brain and the brain says this doesn't feel right. The green light cast onto the top of the characters is accurate in most parts of the image. You just need to carry on with the other lights and warm the piece up a little imho.

I'd rim light the three characters with Purple and Green. Keep the Neon blue but give it some contrast and add some warmth from the left of the image (Not much, just a hint. )

Great image and it's sparked a little debate which is always good.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOUTHERN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    southern rocks for that referance post!!!! in the mean time i'm going to go kill kill myself.....death by newports!!!! and massive amounts of brandy lol
    tommoy rocking the house imp right now.... imiss jagmed and mitze. and lkhgsde whatever his name was...nobedy crits my shit what's up wit that?.
    Last edited by j.s. sabastian; December 21st, 2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: bullshit

Thanks
    j.s. sabastian, thanks hehe. I think every once in a while everybody gets the feeling he or she is ignored by the critics. You can only get your pencils out and blast them away with another killer drawing. About your sketch I would say it looks to woody for robots and its a bit hard to read. The warm lighting gives it a push in the right direction. Cheers
    Last edited by Tommoy; December 21st, 2008 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks
    Man you J.S. and Southern, I think I'll go and kill myself too. lol! No, really, I'm extremely thankful that you guys helped!

Now, I definitely understand better why my sketches haven't been so successful yet. And southern, your sketch/reference rocks! I now see that I need to really pay attention to all lights because I think I was more focused on the top light, emphasizing it while leaving everything else out/less refined. Your approach of using soft red in it is interesting! I also noticed that I forgot to use spec in the front like you did, that will add a lot of depth to my image I think... I love how you did the neon light, how they feel so much more integrated due to the dip/ "inside" feeling.

Thank you so much! Now I'll definitely try to think HARDER and re-work on it. I'll show it to ya soon... hopefully it will pay off.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommoy View Post
    j.s. sabastian, thanks hehe. I think every once in a while everybody gets the feeling he or she is ignored by the critics. You can only get your pencils out and blast them away with another killer drawing. About your sketch I would say it looks to woody for robots and its a bit hard to read. The warm lighting gives it a push in the right direction. Cheers
    with that what dident under stand how an eggbabby and tinder man could be robot's but that's a lack of my imagination

Thanks
    Sketchbook

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    His thought is slow but always kind;
    He holds us all within his mind.

Thanks
    Alright, here's mine again. I think I have overdid the values and colors. *shrugs* See why I was trying to keep it limited because I intend to let it go out of control... I dunno if that worked for better or not... hopefully better though!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dm7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lotta went traditional today. good ol' water colours and pencil
    Last edited by Lotta; December 21st, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: bad placement of picture
    FUTILE EFFORTS <-help me I suck.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Fun topic, took longer than I have hoped... 3 armed and dangerous rogue robots on the loose!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This was fun, even is my picture is kinda dull : 3

Thanks
    j.s. sabastian Hopefully the next couple of years at CCAD will polish this diamond.

DSG 1438: Sci-Fantasy • TINDER-MAN, GUNJUGGLER, & THE EGGBABY... BEST OF ROBOT PALS I think your choice of palette is a step in the right direction, making the blue pop out of the earth tones.
    Looks like you tried playing with an unconventional composition, which is good, but looks like you ran out of room for gun juggler.

Last but not least, you need to give more thought to where you use soft or hard edges on your brush.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamsta For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast