Thanks

Dream assignments for a life drawing class with a character / creature twist?

Hi folks,

I'm slated to run a Life Drawing class with a bit of a character / creature twist at Otis College of Art here in LA in the Spring, and wanted to know from students, what would your dream assignment be? If you were able to draw from a live model, and then put your own spin on things, what would you most like to be asked to do? Your suggestions are appreciated in advance.

Cheers,

-Rebecca

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    For a character twist, simply get some people with great clothing/costumes. Do a series of period clothing (ren fair for example) sessions, or simply get some goth, club, fetish models or something. Keep it interesting.

Creatures, bring in some animals to sketch. They won't exactly hold still most likely, but that's part of the challenge. With a nice basking light something like a large iguana MIGHT hold reasonably still. Or organize a trip to a natural history museum or zoo.

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions J Wilson! Any more ideas?

-R

Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com

Thanks
    have each of the students write up a short story, and have them pick a bunch of poses to act out from that. It could even turn out as a sequential sort of thing. if you told everybody that they had to switch positions for each pose. Have fixed chairs that "cant" be moved. At the end of the session everyone would have a short sequence, with each individuals take on it. They get to choose where they sit, so they choose the composition ya see. It would train them in speed, compostion, cropping, storytelling, perspective, storyboarding etc etc.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Animals are often overlooked, but indispensable if you want to have a "drawing creatures" twist. I had a class once where we'd meet at the local agricultural school to draw the animals. A zoo might be even better if there's one nearby... gives you a chance to draw something other than furry quadrupeds.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    If you want to move beyond having them just drawing what they see, maybe ask them to bring in a single piece of reference, either an animal, machine, prop, etc. Throw them all into a box and have everyone draw one out so you get someone else's reference. Then pose the model and challenge the artists to incorporate elements from the reference into a new character or creature. You could do multiple weeks by asking for them to bring in something different each week (one week it could be costume reference, another it might be animals, and repeat with different ideas and themes). Still stress the figure and life drawing I'd think, but being able to adapt a model to your needs is a valuable skill I rarely hear of being taught.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CCThrom View Post
    Animals are often overlooked, but indispensable if you want to have a "drawing creatures" twist.
    It really really is, and I would have flipped for a class like that back in school. Most schools don't bother at all, probably because of the difficulty in arranging it and because far fewer artists in general will spend time drawing animals (or creatures) compared to people. I still think it should be offered in some form in most art schools.

Thanks
    Great ideas! Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this class...it will be a great chance to get the creative juices flowing for sure.

Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com