Thread: composition

Thanks

composition

hey, rough sketch again, any thoughts on composition?
    thanks guys
    composition

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey, it has a very snowy feel to it, and thats good. Putting something at the top of the mountain, like a ruined castle, magic rock or crashed space ship should really make this a sweet piece.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The composition doesn't have much balance. The perspective leads into the distance to the left, but everything is going one way. Expand the right side of the canvas and add some snow to the right side of the foremost hill, that should do it.

I disagree with Duman. Just out of opinion, I like the desolate look of the mountain. I'd actually recommend flattening the top and putting some ruins up there. Something broken, like ruins, increases the feeling having lost everything, which combined with the cold, unforgiving environment, creates a strong sense of desolation, desperation and total loss of hope.

If you add something like a castle, not only will it create something that's pretty much cliche, but it will make it feel more 'homey'. Castles are very cold and uncomfortable to live in, but ruins will just seem so much less welcoming.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree that the composition is unbalanced but i think it is the opposite of max challie. the forground mountain, and background mountains combined with edges of the foreground rocks all create lines leading to the top of the foreground mountain on the right, but there is nothing really there to focus on. It is also the part of the image with the highest contrast. you could balance it out in my opinion by addgin some more interesting cloud formations, or contrast in the upper left part of the the sky could help this out as well as a focal point as has already been pointed out

8. The Following User Says Thank You to oalexis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh, I would just like to point out that, Max, I did indeed recommend a ruined castle. It looks like he is already in the process of putting some rough shapes of it up already.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    This looks very good to start. Maybe put some kind of amazing structure at the end of the "pier" so you have a center of interest.

Best
    kev
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for looking,
    Dunmanindeed, i'd started to block in some kind of ruin/structure thing, my architecture is way behind my landscape stuff, which is itslef pretty weak.
    Max ive taken your idea on board and shifted everything a little to the left, trying to get the peak to sit roughly where the 1/3rds would cross, if that makes sense. though looking at it now with the sketch in of the ruin/cathedral thing, the building sort of sits in the middle..hmmm...
    oalexsis you're totally right about adding more cloud forms on the left for balance, i'll try an get some good refs to to this.
    Kev your ink works are pretty incredible man : )
    here's what i got so far.
    composition

Thanks
    I like the update even better!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pmel Oki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice, I definitely say your on the right track. Keep detailing and embellishing and Im sure it will look fantastic.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thats what the piece needed! Good fix.

I would not add more to the right of the canvas, because that would put your hill in the center, which would be a bad composition choice.
    Website

CA Finished Work

CA Sketch Book

"I have transcended that phase in my intellectual growth where I discover humour in simple freakishness. What exists is real; therefore it is tragic, since whatever lives must die. Only fantasy, the vapors rising from sheer nonsense, can now excite my laughter." - Lord Pirmence of Castle Lutez

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Murgen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i actually liked the composition in the first one better...

Here comes the big rant heh. I don't have the right to be that critting bastard that i hope i do not come across as, but here it goes. IMO it needs more different basic shapes. larger surfaces of snow, of rock, and also a bit of that in the sky. Right now it looks, mainly the background mountins, to much the same, and the brush gives it a fuzzy look almost. What i liked about the first one wat that there was an open surface to the left, a more interesting composition to me. Im bad at explaining, but i did a little paintover, hope it helps some. I added a few red details here and there and pushed the brown color of the mountains towards grey. the clouds in it are to much i say. Im not sure that it really needs anything more happening in the sky, but maybe.

anyways, I like the picture! its not far from being a very good and finished one. I dunno if this is the right time for this, but the deepest crit might be that I have seen images that look very much like this at least seven times before. I dont think its as bad as the muscular men with guns and the ovesized axes, and i like that there isn't a siluette in the foreground looking out on the landscape with a red flag, but still, it is something to think about. this is my personal opinoin, but i think the thing to aim at is to do something that has not been done, or to try to get a special sort of mood into it, or to have an element that makes it interesting because you have not seen it before. Especially to convey some feeling that the viewer will remember it for i think.
    Ofcourse this does not aply all that much to conceptart as to personal work (and i don't know which this is) seeing as you try to create images that is what the movie/game needs, alas alot of men with huge axes.
    i am actually genuinly sorry for going on a rant like this here, without anyone asking for it. sawry!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gunnarsson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Gunnarrson, yea, i think you're right that it needed a more definite structure to the rock / snow shapes. ive kind of tried to do that now. i agree that is most likey not the most original idea ever,errm, no excuses there.
    here' progress so far, im not sure im able to push this too much further, its about as good as my abilities will let it be.composition

Thanks
    I believe the expansion of the canvas is definitely an improvement. The additional space and detail really helps the overall composition. I think that something really needs to be added to the upper left, but thats up to you.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey cool, you tried it! looks pretty good! I think the snow needs to be whiter on the parts beneath the mountain, defining form to it.

Quote Originally Posted by maths82 View Post
    here' progress so far, im not sure im able to push this too much further, its about as good as my abilities will let it be.
    I say this is where you should go one step further, when you are at the boarders of your current skill! look at a few refs, and try some stuff out, experiment a bit.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to gunnarsson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    The building's a real letdown. Its too spindly and slapdash. Get some reference together or make a model of the building. And no architect is going to drag an entire crew up to the top of a mountain like this just to do some silly bunch of sticks. Put something significant and impressive up there.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice. Your updates look better and better. I would try and get more atmospheric perspective in there to emphasize the scale and depth by cooling the mountains in the back, ie add more blue. Off topic but are there faces in the foremost mountain? I keep seeing them staring back at me

30. The Following User Says Thank You to marak24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is looking much, much better! Please make your uploaded images smaller though.

It's probably just me, but I think it would help to have more space on the ground. To give us something to stand on, you know? See this painting by Whit Brachna for reference:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1211681551

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i agree with max, i was just about to say this needs a little bit of breathing room at the bottom for the foreground. Other than that its looking much improved!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to oalexis For This Useful Post: