Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retired Sketchbook 1 || Nothingreallyexists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Retired Sketchbook 1 || Nothingreallyexists

I have been inspired.

I came to this site, quite a while ago now. Well over a year and a half I've been reading in to the many threads this site has to offer. Nothing really could help me more at this stage of my life than the feedback from this community, whether its harsh or shallow, it will always be helpful to me.

Everything that I want to actually say in the beginning of this thread, I will never actually be able to do. I feel like I have a headstart when comparing to most of the other "amateur to pro" threads that have done nothing less of inspire me today. Going forward, I will always look back and use them as reference points in the evolution to becoming a better artist -- I try not to compare myself to another artist directly, but rather to compare myself to the industry as a whole. Right now I am lacking.

Fear not, it is my goal in life to overcome such a gauntlet of a task. I am addicted to bringing my sketchbook everywhere I go. I am comfortable with it under my arm and I am no longer embarrassed when people look at me drawing.

My biggest problem right now is the conversion of going from the pad and paper to the tablet. I feel like I have the pad and paper down quite enough that I should be making better progress on a tablet, but im not.

So here it goes. Regardless of how my works come out, I will post them here. The intention of this thread is to one day look back on my work through all of the critique and laugh at myself or at least try to convince myself that I had done it. I want to go from being average, to extraordinary. I know this isnt a kind of change that happens over night... but this is something that I've been working towards for a very, very long time.

And I unleash...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NothingReallyExists; December 9th, 2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was one of the very first digital paintings ive tried to do. I used a photo for reference. The sketch of what appears to be a wolf is a tattoo on her back. Overall this was made explicitly for my girlfriend, if you couldnt tell.

Also attached is one of my second attempts at sketching/painting using photoshop. This was a character concept for a tiny mod someone was trying to make that never happened.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my Final still life drawing from my 2nd formal drawing 2 class. This was an observational drawing... I did a bit of personalization on it :] The actual model was very colorful and surreal in terms of its actual presentation... my drawing teacher is such an inspiration as well. I was also accepted in to Ringling College of Art and Design since my last update back in December. I start up in August of this year

IF you start following this thread, youll start to soon notice it will be updated a lot more often, a lot more............... yeah.

More sketches to be added as soon as I get my scanner to start working again. Then today im gonna go to the park and draw just whatever I see for an hour or two

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

O.o)

Thanks for the comment =). I have the exact opposite problem lol...i need to learn line quality...I am very interested in hearing how ringling goes/is...thats where i wish i could go if i ever get good enough...maybe 4 years from now...ill be a freshmen there =)..KEEP ME UPDATED!!

AND what the hell??????? Where are these sketchbook entries??

Well?? Lets get a program going or something...bust that crap out!

Maybe i can strive to become a rival =P. Too soon to make any challenges yet..lol but a lil push from behind to start both ways can always help.

All i have heard about ringling is that you need to push yourself...and to make sure you go to the ...what is it called...its an acronym - but its a life drawing group that gets together every night on the weekdays i think at ringling. Ask around and GO! life drawing is apparently the best thing you can do.

...dont let me catch you

awaiting newest entry... lol later. ^^

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NewGuy22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! You've got a really great start in here. You are definitely drawing the right stuff. A firm grasp of the fundamentals is very important, you seem to be working hard to improve yours.

Keep the hard work!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sublimus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! This is a great start to your sketchbook, and getting the fundamental things such ass anatomy right now will definately pay off in the future!

One crit for you; in your figures, you generally get the anatomy right, apart from the legs. The legs in your figures seem to be too short, or too long, or as if they are smaller and have been "shrunk" compared to the rest of the figure. Try to watch out for this, and watch your proportions as you work, the more you work on solving it, the faster you will!

Keep up the hard work, I would love to see more

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NewGuy22: Im all about manipulating the form down to its rawest bits and then building up from there... though the work I've already shown is probably contradictory of that statement. Lol... but anyway, I'll keep posting throughout my busy school life. Ringling is one of those schools where if you go and you don't put the time in, it will slap you in the face. Im striving to be at the top of my class, and I haven't even started school yet :]

Sublimus: Thank you for the encouragement. I wish I could go back to when I was younger and put my true "start up" stuff in to the beginning part of this thread, but really about a year to 7 months ago is when those were made (in the first post)... the "evolution" side of this thread is definitely coming up in the next set of days... months... years. Thanks for stopping in and taking a look!

Spirit: I feel like sometimes I spend all my time on human anatomy and never really deviating to creature development or... hmmm i guess you could say I never experiment. but I have a feeling you are right none the less. I think the deal with the legs is that sometimes I try to put a "birds eye" view down on them because in real life, im 6'2" tall -- so my eye level is automatically higher. Does that make any sense? I'll definitely try to address it going forward. Now that you mention it I definitely see what you mean.

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To date, this is everything I have in my sketchbook in descending order. The images at the top of this post are the "oldest" starting with the sketch I did of an old happy meal toy... it looks sort of like a velociraptor (sp?).

The most recent work I did is near the end, of course. Mostly everything you will see in this post is "from life" type observations, with the exception of the rough sketches at the very end -- the last pic is from a Bridgman book and the ones before that were pretty much from memory without reference.

By the way, the place where im working at right now (a call center) allows me to draw at my desk while im conducting surveys over the phone. So the majority of these drawings here were done actually while I was multitasking

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 1st, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't got to my scanner today, but I do have some new sketches that I put in the book from yesterday. I spent about 4 hours sketching or so, getting back in to the swing of micron pens --- that will be the next upload here later on today.

This painting I did because I couldnt sleep, and in all honesty ive never really messed with brushes before. Wow did I ever realize what I was missing. Now I see the potential behind manipulating your brushes in photoshop. If only I could make more progress in painting.

Also, I think it was 2 days ago that I worked on this one, but I forgot to post it with my original batch. This is from the DSG and im quite happy with some of the progress I made on it.

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 1st, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches from as of lately. The faces sketch is really not that great, but I did it very fast and with a micron pen. I really need to practice more pen work. I need to get a good face book, if anyone knows any suggestions, im open to it

and this second set is from my Bridgman book. I bet you could have guessed that if you've seen Bridgman work before. Its important for me to get to know which lines are emphasized in terms of the weight and balance, and these drawings have helped with that so far. More more more

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 1st, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Bridgman.
    The man owns my soul... and im okay with this.

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey NothingReallyExists! there is some nice work in here! I particularly your last post in figure drawing you can definitely tell the progress that you have done. Is this book some kind of magic thing?? ha ha. Even though it's a figure drawing you can see their muscle and all. that's cool! Well done for your dragon rendering too!
    Keep up the good work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello friend, like his drawings, reminded me a little Salvador Dalí is very good. continue studying more and trying to define its features, will improve even more!

"God is my inspiration."

Sketchbook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait done in photoshop. Considering its the first time that Ive ever sketched and painted a self portrait of myself entirely in photoshop, I will say that I spent too much time on this for not enough of a result. Never the less, I feel some sort of progress in my overall forms was made -- less the obnoxious nose that i could never quite get, the unfinished lips, the eyes that are more like place holders, and the one jawbone line that doesnt quite match the other. Needless to say, im extremely unhappy with this work at the moment, and I'll be brutally honest here, I have no fking clue how to shade/blend properly.

/spit

Whatever, its practice never the less, right?

Here was the reference shot.

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All referenced. More from Bridgman... I need to get a new book to learn techniques from.

By the way most of the work I do, im on the phone @ work. I work temporarily at Nielsen Media Research and im calling people, but in the 1 minute downtime between calls where I would normally be sitting there doing nothing, I decided to put my sketches in to the sketchbook... this is the kind of stuff I can do while preoccupied.

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 1st, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's sketch, took this out of a book that I fancied while I was at Barnes and Noble. The book is: Ken Hultgren "The Art of Animal Drawing" from the Dover series. I own two Cockerspaniels, which is the kind of dog that is shown at the bottom of the page.

Also, today marks the death of one of my favorite people in the world. Billy Mays I actually live 20 minutes from where he lived (in Tampa).

Therefore, I would like to dedicate todays work to him!

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 1st, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update required...The animal drawings are very good...very convincing movement. So when do you start school? Any way you could keep my posted on what yall do? Or what you are doing when you start school? Very interested..

Chow.

"If you want something. Go get it. Period."

Sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=151856&page=4

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now im putting a lot of my productivity time in to a new drawing of a dragon, similar to the only other dragon picture Ive posted on here. I suppose its important to note that from my very first post, everything on there is from observation... I should say about 90-95% of my work on this thread is from direct observation actually.

When I finish my new drawing of the dragon, I'll post it up on here for sure.

Outside of all that, school starts Aug 24th this year for me @ Ringling and I will definitely be posting stuff on here unless I somehow get contracted under an NDA for a side project (probably wont happening, but im just saying). I am pursuing the Game Art and Design major, so basically a lot of my art will be concepts and whatnot for the game industry, possibly character designs... im not really sure what to expect quite yet. I am dedicated, though :]

As for my last post with the animals, motion is definitely what I was aiming to convey more than the form itself! Thanks for stopping in

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your still lives (or is it lifes? uh, me-not-English-coughcough) are really impressive, they seem so plastic! Really good work with the light and shadow, I adore the first on you posted.

Also love all the subtle details on you nudes. The hands are gorgeous.

With the digital portrait, I think the eyes should be a bit wider apart and the face in general seems a little too narrow compared to the photograph.

(I wish was more savvy myself so I could give better criticism, duh...)

I'll be watching you

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff is lookin pretty good mate. Some nice bridgman studies in here. One crit: on the self portrait, you need to first map out all of the features of the face before actually drawing them. All of the features seem to be correct in likeness, but they are just in all the wrong places.

And yes, I do indeed have Fogard. Good eye .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Goog, thanks for stopping by. First and foremost, a lot of my most recent work hasn't been updated on this thread. Most of the updating I'll be doing to my site will take place on Wednesday (ie: newest versions of sketches, paintings, etc.). If you were talking about the digital self portrait... its unfortunate that I've only produced about 0 things ever via tablet+pc. The transition for me is whats getting me down... at the moment im still focused on developing the basic talents through good old pad/paper. I do understand where you are coming from, your feedback could be applied to both the digital self portrait as well as the traditional (I look African American in it http://bryanshannon.com/traditional27.htm).

Your Forgard day must be different than mine. I had a very young girl doing a more interactive pose. Clearly yours was a guy.

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! Thanks for dropping by my sketchie. My dear friend is currently studying animation at Ringling too!

I have nothing much to say except to keep it going. More more more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My oh my, its an update from Ringling.

Even though I havent nearly been updating as much as I would like to be, here are some samples of my recent works. I have also taken up painting while I am here at Ringling... I needed to fill an elective, and I have never had formal painting training so I am giving it a whirl. Will post those after these sketches.

And this last image is from FEWS here on campus. 20 min ea.

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 3rd, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and paintings... which btw, before I came to Ringling, I have had no formal painting training, so this is all pretty much "winging it", in order of completion (last is most recent):

I think I have more paintings from the class, but those are the ones that stood out among the rest... mmmm, I dont think I have pics taken from all of them yet. I know I have some more cause they are sitting right next to me here. Anyway,crits or feedback for the paintings would definitely help too :]

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 1st, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turns out that the apples painting will have to be revisited... after critique I've learned that I missed out on the yellowness of the highlighted areas on the drapery. After I thought about it, it will make a lot more sense to add those in... be sure to look out for an update of that here in the future.

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Paints that were done before the apple painting. This is painting white objects in "white" light which reveals that even white objects have color in them. I intended on exaggerating my colors to help push the forms a bit. Overall, I am not satisfied with these pieces and believe me... I know the cast shadow on the clorox bottle looks horrendous

Last edited by NothingReallyExists; October 1st, 2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, good stuff in here. Looks like you're trying out a lot of different mediums here and that's good. I should do that myself. I think you need to do more face studies though.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bombur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombur View Post
    Hey, good stuff in here. Looks like you're trying out a lot of different mediums here and that's good. I should do that myself. I think you need to do more face studies though.
    Thanks so much for stopping in... Yeah believe me I will be here within the next week actually. Saturday night I am going to be doing about 10 portraits of random people, then up to about Thursday of next week I have to paint 5 self portraits of myself for class. Stay tuned :]

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a portrait study from September 12, 2009 I forgot to post

The reason I chose to do it on toned was to prepare myself for getting back in to drawing on toned again... it had been a few months!

And then the practice paid off when my assignment was an emulation drawing for my figure class:

Original by Francois Boucher

Ringling 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonight's Ringling FEWS drawing. About 2.75 hr on this one.

btw I would also like to point out that the majority of my pictures that I have been uploading recently have been coming from a cell phone..... the camera on there is like a 1.2 megapixel. I know what im asking Santa for xmas.......

Ringling 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.