Thanks

Does any one here drink wine?

Can someone recommend a wine as a good thank you gift?

I'd like to get a friend of mine a bottle of wine for helping me move some stuff. Both he and his wife are big wine aficionados. I can't stand the stuff - tastes like crap to me. So I really couldn't tell a good wine from a bad one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good wine? What type should I get? Red or white? One is supposed to be good for food while the other is good for normal drinking (or something?).

I'd like it to be a surprise so that's why I'm not asking them directly. Anyway, thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'd say don't buy wine for wine buffs, if you know nothing about it, or what they like, specifically - I think it has an almost 100% chance of going wrong, as even if you spend a fortune on something spectacular, it still may not be to their taste.

The sums of money people spend for what they consider a "good" bottle of wine can vary enormously, too, so if you hit the wrong price-point for their idea of a "good" bottle (either low, or high) it could be embarassing.

I'd encourage you to get them a different present, where you are on safer ground as to their taste.

It will be interesting to see what others say about this.

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    what dcorc said. The only way I think you could go about this safely is if you know of any friends of theirs who share their enthusiasm for wine and could ask for a recomendation. They may have some idea what would be appreciated if they know their specific tastes.

it's like trying to buy somebody a painting as a gift but not knowing anything about art or even what sort of art they like. Way more possibility of it going wrong than right.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    its truth
    although lately
    im fond of the Bonterra organic cabernet
    no hang over

but yeah
    you really can't buy anything for people in their own area of passion . better to find something you know something about
    and introduce them to a new passion

(Patron is always good)
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Just get them some Dom Perignon
    They can have it for a special occasion like an anniversary, and champagne is versatile for so many occasions, basically anything celebratory.

By the way, it's kind of hard to give you suggestions when you don't mention a price range. Wine can go from $10 a gallon to $1000 a bottle so..

Thanks
    Stay away from giving them wine!

If you don't know what they usually drink, or even if you want to give them red or white wine, it's a no go. It's like not knowing if you should give them Van Gogh, Vallejo, da Vinci, Munch, Michelangelo, Pollock or Djurdevic....

Seriously, there's so much difference in wine taste that it's a field where you more likely than not will go wrong if you don't have anyone that actually know these friends - that know what they like to drink AND can point you in the right direction - that you might want to try something else.

If you still want to go with the wine theme, you're better off giving them a wine diary or something like that where they can record their own tastes and impressions.

There's several kind of "safe" wines to give away, but then you have to know if they like fruity, dry, full, half dry, smokey, etc... not to mention what kind of grapes they prefer the most. And that similar kind of grapes taste different according to where they're grown. And that if you're talking wine that matures longer than the cheap ones there can be huge differences in the years they're made. Also, you'd have to know if they're more into food wine or into "drink" wine.

As a last solution you can write down whatever names/years are on their empty bottles, or the ones in the cellar/cupboard, and get help from a someone actually knowing wine in a wine store to get something in the same area and price.

Just my two cents though.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    how about a gift card from a nice wine spot? give 'em a reasonable amount that way they get to choose.

Thanks
    Since they are huge wine buffs, maybe get them somethign to go WITH wine? Like a good cheese? Anyone at a decent cheese place will be able to recommend something good for you.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Get em accessories instead.

Cheese and crackers, a box of chocolates, make them some little danglies for the bottlenecks.

Thanks
    Now, if you must give them wine, despite all of the good advice, go to a local winery and buy a nice bottle of something versatile, like a shiraz.

A couple of weeks back I dropped $28 on a bottle of locally made 14% alcohol rocket fuel that really does the trick.
    ----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    im fond of the Bonterra organic cabernet
    Good call Chaos! (If you find the 2006 with the old label, buy 'em out)

But seriously, if you don't know wine don't buy for an aficionado. My wife and I are in to reds and have no use for whites. If you know what they like, get them that... but since you don't, I'd look elsewhere.

Having said that... if you're determined, I personally recommend organic reds... try Bonterra or Benzinger Cabernet. They're good and won't break the bank. You could also consider a related-but-different bottle... I'm thinking a decent Port wine. Old Cave is my favorite, again not real expensive.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    "It's like not knowing if you should give them Van Gogh, Vallejo, da Vinci, Munch, Michelangelo, Pollock or Djurdevic"

Any of the above please!

All I know is wine needs a few years to mature, but only a really good vintage year will keep past 7 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    A nice mature Stilton would be perfect. You can't go too far wrong with a vintage port.

Thanks
    Holy crap! Good thing I asked before I bought anything. It seems I'm in over my head here. Didn't think it would be that hard.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I like the suggestion to get something that goes with the wine, like cheese. I'll have to remember that. For now, I think I'll play it safe and get them a Best Buy gift card. That's not too specific and they can use that for whatever. And maybe a bottle of wine from 7-11 as a gag gift to see what they do. Ugh, nasty crap.

Anyway, thanks again for saving me from making a mistake.

Thanks
    ..how about either a set of wine glasses..or a decanter.
    Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi - "An ounce of practice is worth more then tons of preaching."

Blog

Thanks
    What strange responses in this thread....

Of all the people that I know that enjoy good wine, and they are many, including myself and my girlfriend, I maybe know of only one person who wouldn't appreciate a nice bottle of white wine.
    Traditionally white wine is excellent with fish and red with meat dishes. For aperitif most people drink white.
    Off course there's too much variety in wine to discuss wines based on the grapes used or 'melanges'
    But in general a quality wine should linger after you swallowed it. If you breath out through your nose you should feel and taste the wine in your nose, throat, and sense it swirling in your mouth. Either more distinct on certain parts of your tongue or top or bottom part of your mouth.
    Ask for those qualitys at a decent wine seller.

Imo, you can't go wrong with either a Pulligny-Montrachet or Chassagne- Montrachet. Either white or red. But then again I don't know what you're willing to spend...
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    I'm not a fan of whites either - shiraz is fun. (I think this has to do with having to go through more bottles to find something I like.)

Though if someone bought me a bottle of anything, I'd be touched and thank them - even if it was awful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by talbot View Post
    Can someone recommend a wine as a good thank you gift?

I'd like to get a friend of mine a bottle of wine for helping me move some stuff. Both he and his wife are big wine aficionados. I can't stand the stuff - tastes like crap to me. So I really couldn't tell a good wine from a bad one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good wine? What type should I get? Red or white? One is supposed to be good for food while the other is good for normal drinking (or something?).

I'd like it to be a surprise so that's why I'm not asking them directly. Anyway, thanks for any and all suggestions.
    ...If they dont have it already, buy them 'Sideways' on DVD......

Mx

Thanks
    Does any one here drink wine?
    I´ve never tasted anything alcoholic remotely good like this. Grows at 20kms off my house.

200$ each.

I tasted once a cheap california wine and was very good.
    Maybe you need to be get used to wines before start to enjoying it.
    Last edited by Ian Miles; December 17th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Art_Addict View Post
    What strange responses in this thread....

Of all the people that I know that enjoy good wine, and they are many, including myself and my girlfriend, I maybe know of only one person who wouldn't appreciate a nice bottle of white wine.
    Half a glass of the wrong white wine will give me a migraine.

Anything that's labelled "matured in oak" will leave a ghastly aftertaste - that's reds. Price is no guide as there are some horrid wines pretending to be superior. I'd love to be able to afford better wines, but sometimes the fun is finding a cheap fun bottle of plonk. Maybe it's just as well that I can't afford champagne and port every day.