Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pro/Am?

Thanks
    Thanks arttorney, that's pretty much what I wanted to know and it gives me something to aim at

Thanks to everyone who contributed, interesting perspectives one and all. By the way, a professional is someone who makes their living from their skill... don't give the word any more meaning or significance than that. The phrase 'personal definition' is just silly.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Ha! When I saw this thread my first thought was:

So, I guess that tells you where I am.

I think Arttorney and Elwell summed it for your question. I'm not sure the motive of the qustion, but I did just want to add one thing. I think the diverse mixture of skill levels and backgrounds is what makes this place so special. Even though there are some heavy professionals here, I dont think there is anyone that comes to this site and doesnt learn SOMETHING new.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    I think you are changing your meaning after the fact, as your orriginal statement that they "should be able to teach at an advanced level" implies a formal setting, most likely in a college or academy of some sort.
    No, you simply aren't understanding, it has nothing to do with teaching in a "formal setting" it has everything with the ABILITY to teach through the level of their work, period.

A world without art is a world without color.

Thanks
    Hmmm, I think I can consider myself semi-semi-pro. I have made some good money whenever I did paid work. But since it's a rare thing right now, as a saying goes, it's not enough to scratch my bum with.

I think that might change in these next years, and my confidence in selling more art will help. For the actual looks of my art, I think I just want to improve, making my art look great, even if it looks professional or not. (definitely a grey area though, as many said already)

As for the teaching argument, let's not worry about it! O_O That's a varying thing with people, whether some implicit/explicit teaching could happen from their works or their words.

Thanks
    Wow, thread necro... load your shotguns and look out for zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    I guess I count as semi-pro? I've done a couple jobs but not enough to pay the bills.
    ...Time for an upgrade. I figure I count as a fullblown pro as I'm now able to support myself with my art. Of course, there's still that jump between being a professional and acting professional... that'll be a tough one...

...and then getting to be a master... ok, dream on. For now I'll just draw my lego people.

Thanks
    I'm a pro alright, but I'm a pro in graphic design.... I'm slowly making the transition towards more illustration related work.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Holy crap, I didn't notice the month up there! O_O Hee hee! XD Oh well, sorry 'bout that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.