IDW #87: Time Machine

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #87: Time Machine

Topic: Time Machine

Background: Another straightforward topic. Lots of freedom though, as how a time machine would actually work or would be operated is totally up to you as the designer (though I'd say try to think beyond the obvious telephone booth or a customized DeLorean DMC-12 ).

One extra requirement: this round your entry will need a written description to go with the image. How do you imagine it would 'work' -you don't have to go into too many details, just a simple reason to believe-, who made the time machine and why, things like that. No description means not being allowed in the poll.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a Time Machine!
    2. Add a description to your final entry!
    3. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Saturday, December 20

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 1869
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; December 14th, 2008 at 11:29 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weird. Just yesterday I was hoping for a topic like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is just too good to be true...
    great topic yoitisi!

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cant beleive this topic hasnt been used yet.
    epic and the vilocoraptor went too fast for me hopefully
    ill get something good enough to post for this one

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No telephone booths.. what am I to do!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, first timer here, thinking about giving this one a shot (work permitting of course). Hmmmm......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yars.. me gonna go ahead and give this one a try, probz come out with something comical like a toaster or somit but weel see how it pans out..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guessing a cardboard box with a plush tiger in it, and "time machine" written on the side of it won't exactly make it to the poll either?

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So is this time machine supposed to be used by the general population on an everyday basis or is it a secret-government-scientific-development-type-thing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Max, I think what yoi meant by giving it a description and story and such is that it's up to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

temporal interchange vessel (initial design)

I am not so goo with the right-angles by hand, and I don't have a box of legos to build something to sketch from, so here is the beginnings of my time machine in Maya.

Description:

the passage of time, our view of history and the future. these are influence by our personal perceptions. thus it only makes sense that our method of travel should be encrusted with the hallmarks of our place in time. to move forward and backward in time, we must be able to witness the mechanical transition. Clock towers, hour glasses, cogs, gears, calendars, digital displays are charting our path through the currents, eddies, and tidal waves of time.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm, i dunno how to ask this or if this is even the right place. I started drawing upa time like machine, where the concept is using energy of the body mind and soul to propel your psycal body to other place. Like combining pegan/wiccan magic with budist meditation, native rituals. Where the user induces a state of pure mind to achive the time travel (the ideas just started so far) this isnt really the normal thing to come up with in time travel because most people think sci-fi. Would this be alright for a concept of a time machine

PS: sorry about my english i hope you understand. If you want a furthur description or to omit the drawing and concept then you will design, just say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madkweer Artist: As you might already have noticed judging by your post, bare 3d models are not taken to poll. Using it as basis for your final drawing is alright though.

Rbourne: Hm the thing is, while I think I understand the concept, I don't think it really fits in IDW. Remember, this is not about drawing characters sitting and transporting themselves. IDW is about tools and equipment that helps to perform a task. If you find a way to portray your idea in a way that fits with IDW (iow: not just someone sitting and meditating) I'm fine with it, though you might want to post your sketches early so I can make sure you're going in the right direction. Otherwise, try to find a better solution or concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what I got so far:

The idea here is based all around the "wormhole" theory, or the idea that if enough negative energy gathers at a specific point in time, a wormhole to another point in time can be generated. This machine uses an array of negatively charged electrodes (the little balls on the end of the cables) to generate that charge via a super-duper engine. The electrodes spin in the same direction, building the negative charge upon itself until finally, the wormhole rips open, enabling time travel.

THEREFORE: Plop ur tush in the chair. Turn device on. Device spins really fast, and you get sucked backwards with great force to another point in time. Hope you brough spare undies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m not so sure about the viability of this work, but near Christmas i usually feel the need of being a bit sarcastic and acid. I cant resist to make it.
    All "how-to" and nature of the machine is included in the pic

As always sorry for my english.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Desmayado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks yoitisi, i have furthur continued the design and I'm adding mechanical decives to to create a better energy feild in conept like the grativy thigns astronauts use multipule circles roatating still working on makign the concept work right I should have pics in soon, since i dont have a scanner handy its not the easiest to get it on the comp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay.. I need to post my sketches

Portal design: run of the mill teleporter used for time travel.. sort of gets something down first.
    Name:  portal_design.JPG
Views: 1841
Size:  41.0 KB

left: Cylinder design - three cylinders, spin around to create a warp in space/time. Top and bottom travel one way, middle one travels the other. Which direction the middle cylinder travels (clockwise/counter-clockwise) determines which direction the passengers will travel in time.
    Name:  cylinder_design.JPG
Views: 1476
Size:  44.2 KBName:  gimbal_design.JPG
Views: 1504
Size:  25.9 KB
    right: Gimbal design - three rings to weave dark matter and create a wormhole. The advantage of this design over the cylinder is that's focused on one spot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone who did a simple google search will already've seen this but I couldn't resist.

it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The basic , gonna add a big reactor engine at the ends,it will rotate the ball capsule ,electronic reactions bla bla...hope ill finish this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good topic. I got some idea so I might do this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure I can finish this this week, but we'll see.

Perspective needs some tweaks. This is my first try at an angled image. No story yet. Crits are very very welcome.

Name:  time machine.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  76.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great topic! Here's my progress...

Drawing is fun.

www.mattkohr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spikey88: After seeing your entry in the finals thread of this round, I should let you know that as it is right now I will probably not take it to poll. The main reason for this is the fact that it doesn't look finished enough in both the design and the rendering of the concept. In your image you show the sun and spaceships, but the actual time machine (the sphere) is only half visible and is barely more than just a sphere. The image itself has little depth, as the sun, the spaceships and the sphere seem to be in the same plane rather than being at a great distance from each other.

Another little note, the concept has two ideas that I'm not too sure are actually possible, although I suppose not everyone would pick up on it: first of all, the theory about reaching the speed of light dictates that the mass of the object reaches infinity. So, even if the space surrounding you would 'reverse' somehow, it still means you will have trouble propelling your own craft at some point. Also, according to current theories you will technically travel forward in time rather than traveling backwards in time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aagh! The deadline's today!

. . .
    vantrum, some nice rendering on your elevation view, but so far the perspective's looking a little odd with the lower drawing.
    paradoxba, looking very nice there, and
    hope you get it finished Pixie Trick, it's looking good so far. I really can't tell what's going on with your vanishing points but it seems to be pretty right at the moment so good luck

it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP

"In the future, the ever-growing human civilization faces shortage in supply of fresh water.
    As demand soared, so did the budget for many research opportunities.
    The breakthrough came in the quantum mechanics field and enabled transferring of basic compounds (i.e. water) from another time.
    Many countries quickly adopted the massive prototype time-machine and arrays of these monstrous structures soon filled the land."

vantrum cool design
    paradoxba great composition

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wip. Almost as finished as it will get. Crits.... anyone? I know there are some perspective issues.... the base is pretty distracting... and other things I bumped up the contrast a little so it looks a bit extreme to me.

Name:  time machine screen shot.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  79.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max Challie: Hm, the problem with your rendering is that it doesn't actually show much of the machine except for the top, and although that shows a main feature of the idea I think it isn't all that interesting to look at. Mostly, if it wasn't for me knowing the topic and reading your description it would be very hard to see what your drawing is about. Also, the rendering is far from finished. I think in the state it's in I won't take it to poll, I'm afraid.

That said, there's still about 12 hours to go on this topic before I close the finals thread, so make sure you've posted your finals in there by then.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guido, thanks for pushing me to do better. However, I don't think I know enough about technology to make interesting designs. I keep thinking of how it looks, while finding that it's important to think about how it functions. I'm drawing now, but i just don't think there's enough in my design to really make it interesting. So I better just focus on drawing from life (mechanical designs in particular), observing how machines function, and just learning more about technology in general. I find that I need to research how technology works to figure out how my design will function, and I think it will help if I follow IDW almost every week, because it will let me know what to research.

I'll go draw something now. See you around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.