Pygmy Hyena Rider WIP
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pygmy Hyena Rider WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pygmy Hyena Rider WIP

Another concept for another 3d contest..contest is beast and rider...over at cgchat- 6k between the 2 models..anyway here is the start on the concept..criticism...coments more than welcome

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok.. for a contest this pic is lifeless! make something happend!!! both the hyena and the rider are from a direct side view - very unatural! make the viewer (ie "us") feel like he's a part of the drawing - for example make the native look at us or make the hyena look at us or make them be in the middle of a chase, or make them be in the middle of a sneak attack, their current mode is totally uninteresting! they are not even doing "nothing"! they just look "artificial" and lifeless... sorry about beeing so harsh, hope u can take it.. but that is what i think, this is a "technical" drawing - it shows us how a hyena and rider looks, but it does not show us how they cooperate or how they behave or what mood and skill they have.. take it to the next level!

..anyway, your drawing looks nice, but i'd seriously think twice about the scenario!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

I appreciate your comments Soul..This concept is less about composition than it is about form and color...I agree than it is pretty stiff..but hopefully the dynamics will be realized once I translate it into 3d

Last edited by ZeroWave; November 26th, 2003 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..aaah, i see, you're gonna turn this into a 3d model and then "pose" the seperate characters.. nice.. ok, hmmm, i think i have some new comments then ..

ok, first i'd stil draw the two characters in a more dramatic scenario to get a feel for them (concept sketch) and do it much "looser" and faster, then i'd draw a technical drawing of each character _seperatly_ and use the ol' "da vinci"-setup to really study and define their form and texture (technical drawing) then i'd probaly draw technical drawings of different details in the characters (detail drawings) like perhaps claws, spear tips etc to make it easier to model these parts in 3d later... theeeeen i'd model each character seperatly in 3d and theeeen pose them together into a scene as described in the first "concept sketch"... and then the circle is complete! muhaha!

"your first vision is the strongest!" ..eh, sometimes..

..maybe I should comment the actual design, and not the design process - (i'm obsessed with the design processes..) ok: i think the pygme looks a bit too "roundish" - ok he's really short and fat but all his body parts look too much like stretched spheres, maybe add some definition to his muscles and skin to remedy this.. like his belly - sure it's nice and round - but it should be more like a hanging sack of water or something - it's too round! and the different body parts don't work together! they're like separate parts of the universe! they should intermingle more, muscles stretch between body parts.. etc....i think..

..stil, i like your choice about a native and a hyena! most people wold take a knight with a sword and a black horse with shiny armour! blah boring! this is simple but stil strong and original and natural at the same time! this concept has potential! i belive in it!..

Last edited by soul8o8; November 26th, 2003 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa..the anatomy is that horrible?..I was waiting for someone to tell me the forearm was too long

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..nah, not "horrible" - just "out of focus"

seriously, look at his breast, does it look like a breast or like a sphere?

..i don't know what you mean by "forearm" but yes! now when you say it - his overarm is a bit too long!

..i couldn't resist! i just had to to a paint-over! just say if you want me to delete this!

I shortened the over arm a bit and intermingled the body parts some... hope you like it

..anyway the best of luck to you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could be wrong about this, but I'm having some problems with the shape of the hyena. I think they have a very pernounced ribcage and skinnier lower belly than what you have here. Also the feet are toeing inward and the legs look a bit thin. Especially the hind legs. Maybe bulk them out a bit more. Hope this helps.

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    myeah. they have a really strong neck and I dont think a human would be that small. hyena's arent that big. and thier body's are a bit lower to the ground (or the legs are shorter - you pick)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback on the Hyena..Hyena's front legs are actually longer than their back legs. THat and their large necks gives them a hunched appearence..as far as the scale issue..The Pygmy is supposed to be the size of a 4-5 year old child..and the hyena is going to be larger than average-that from my own twisted imagination and not based in actuality...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.