Sketchbook: Not Deadman's sketchbook - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Not Deadman's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How the hell do people draw from life so fast?... Im posting from starbucks right now and Im starting to rage cuz I can't draw fast enough while the ppl keep moving...

Meanwhile, bridgman page, some loomis perspective stuff and posemaniacs stuff and some photo studies

Attached Images Attached Images                              
    Last edited by Not_Deadman; April 5th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pick up a camera bro, or draw people that are sitting down and not moving. =)

Also those images aren't loading for me, is anyone else getting the same problem?

My Sketchbook!This scrub needs your guidance

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Im trying to fix it... also even when people are sitting down, theyre moving their heads around... it's a pretty cool observation to see that people are restless... but it's not good when I can't draw them fast enough D: I also feel awkward just starin at people... don't wanna be a creep... but I need to draw lol

Also... note to myself... draw from photographs with good lighting next time

Last edited by Not_Deadman; April 5th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick big update
    mostly life drawings, blind contour drawings, bridgeman hands, and some sketching for some evangelion fanart i wanna draw

heres hoping i got better... also im bracing for finals week wish me luck >.<

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your encouraging comments!

Loving your hard work on those anatomy studies. Those hands are juicy

"What does it mean to be an artist? It's constant, unrelenting, everlasting failure. That's what it is. You have to be really tough to take it." -Carl Larsson

Skethbook! | Deviantart! | Blog!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kvenh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your comment! : )

I really like your anatomy studies! You're making some good progress. The faces are looking good and your lines are getting more confident. All those studies are paying off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update, more ppl from life, some bridgeman, some perspective stuff, and some 30 sec gestures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And sophomore year is over for me! Hopefully I can get lots of drawing done during the summer break and perhaps build a comic portfolio for critique.

Here's some whacky drawings from life and imagination... still trying to get down rendering to give form... my problem is making different values cuz I just cant match the values in the reference with my own pencil renderings... I have this huge problem of using like 1 mid tone and thats it... sometimes I wonder if I'm getting better... but w/e... here's to the future!
    Also, forgive me for the profanity in some of the drawings... I get frustrated and I just become angry/sad that I still suck after 2 years. I just hate the idea of not getting better at something despite all the time and effort put into it. Venting helps me deal with it a bit better I think... man am I so scared of my page 1 looking like my page 30 in this sketchbook

Also, I think I gotta do more bridgeman/vanderpoel studies... I need to fix the way I see things... because I know my drawings suck, and mostly that's because I'm not seeing correctly. The rest like technique and Hopefully the books will serve as a supplement to my "seeing".

TL;DR On summer break, hoping to draw more, heres some life drawings, hope you all have a great summer as well!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Thanks for the thanks on my sb!

First off it's good to be hard on yourself, but not too hard. I can see progression from the first page to this one, but that isn't what matters. It's what you're learning subconsciously that matters. Your mind/hand is being trained right now. Treasure this moment of learning, it's half the fun. Right now you are making mistakes, but they are growing your visual library greatly.

All artists are different. Some can catch onto theory or the basics easy and skip levels. But for the ones who can't, we struggle each level. Do not give up! That will only stop your progression, which I can see in each post.

As for the public drawing and drawing people that are constantly moving, that's called gesture drawing. You have to approach every model like you only have 10 seconds to draw them. Get the feeling of how they are standing, moving, sitting, drinking, etc. The more you practice this, the more your mind will fill in the blanks and you will memorize the subject better.

Your brain is like any other muscle in your body. The more you work it, the stronger it gets. Failures are a blessing! They make you who you are as an artist and show you what not to do next time.

Remember, you don't have to show any art to ANYONE if you don't want to. Just throw away the crap and keep the gold pieces you make! I try to show everything I do to show myself how much suckage I can produce everyday. For every good piece of art there are about 10000000 pieces that blow.

Your drawings do not suck. You are only at a different stage than other artists. Are you rating yourself against other AMAZING artists? You shouldn't, you should be your own critique and rate your art on your past art. Those other master artists have spent countless hours perfecting their style, technique. There's no way you can be them, but you are you and your uniqueness comes out the more you draw everyday.

Never stop, never give up! Just keep drawing and enjoy the ride! DRAW, DRAW, DRAW!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement Matt! I really appreciate it

Here's some Vanderpoel eye studies (almost done with eyes woo), some hands from life, eye studies from life, some self portrait stuff and other junk... on to the next one! Unfortunately some of this is still angsty crap, hopefully I get over this whole art depression thing, and care less about whatever and focus more on just making art and enjoying it.

I will also admit. I have a terrible TERRIBLE addiction to league of legends. That game.... man... that game is going to be my undoing. Maybe I'll draw some fanart/draw a character to see whether or not I actually learned anything from my studies...

Anyways, take care everyone and see you next update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update, some vanderpoel, self portrait studies, photo studies. Been trying to limit my LoL games to 4-5 a day... working out so far >.>
    Prolly gonna try to practice shading and showing lighting.... my greatest weakness
    Also I wanna try to get back into some Loomis studies... prolly study his section on planes and do some photo studies....

Good luck on your endeavors CA.org bros! Cya next update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, your studies are looking really good- your truckin right along, keep it up- looks like your studying all the right things... I have heard LoL is quite a good game...

...you asked what ref I used for the anatomy studies, much of that stuff was studied from a few PDFs I downloaded by Gottfried Bammes, he is the best!
    The books are:
    Der Nackte Mensch (The Naked human)
    &
    Wir zeichnen den Menschen (We draw humans)
    ...the books are in German but the pictures are awesome to study from!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sealegs For This Useful Post:

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great starts man, already improvment here from your studies your line quality is getting betterrr toooo, i'd suggest really focusing on one thing at a time if your struggling so looks like your doing a lot of faces and portraits at the minute so really focus on the features the skull n stuff, your hard works gonna pay off!

Livestreamin'

Blog

Available for Freelance!-Contact Michael.jay@live.co.uk

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fudgeloaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, got some drawings from life and photo ref mostly, no studies from books... probably should do that ...
    in other awesome news, i got a tablet 2 days ago!!! ... and i have no idea what I'm doing D: anyone have good books on painting and stuff? thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh boy more struggles... I have NO IDEA what I'm doing when I'm making these paintings... i really really really need help >.>
    i dunno what to do past getting flat colors or something... and even then, I cant even make the flat colors look right >.> all my paints look like something a 5 year old would make with crayons... so upsetting >.> Maybe I should just play around with color picker or something... or maybe render simple stuff like blocks, spheres and shiz

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was away on vacation in Georgia! It was ok, but I had no internet for most of it. More studies and I'm still really struggling with painting >.> Also did some imagination stuff in pencil!
    Put my reference next to my digital drawings to see if that helps you help me... painting is so hard.... drawing is hard... art is hard >.>

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lubbing the studies. The more you study the more you see what you need to see and figure things out. Keep it up even if it feels like you're stuck in one place. Draw towards your next revelation, because it could be right around the corner and always have fun!

Think of things in 3d in your studies and what they would look like. DRAW DRAW DRAW!

Ps. in that apple study in your last post, look at the colors you have there. It's vibrant green, but there's another color you're missing. Hmm, could it be saturated yellow? I think so! The yellow light reflects back to the camera from the green skin. If you look at the color wheel, yellow is right by green. If you use color to brighten your values (and not black and white), then your images start to become more vibrant than just a green scale of colors. Hope I made this clear, if you have any questions pm me!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pathetically small update... I gotta stop playin games and hangin out with friends and start workin hard again >.<

Here's more digital stuff... haven't touched my sketchbook in a long time D: I shall ammend that... If it doesnt have the reference next to it, then the picture is a study from life i.e. I painted the mouse from life, not a study

Painting is still tough... I finished the apples i think, and did a sphere and mouse study and I'm currently working on my first digital portrait study .... so hard to pick colors... I use the color picker and then I just play around with the colors until it looks better to me o.o

@Mattgamer Thanks for the advice! I tried adding some yellow to the apple and I think it made it look a little bit better... but it still looks off to me and it's all my fault D:

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

You're really good with pencils, very nice lines and value. Keep doing studies and check from time to time how they hold up with work from imagination.

Drawing with a tablet is hard at first, just keep working with and you'll get more comfortable. Judging from the last paintings you posted, you're getting the hang of it pretty quick. I would try to avoid color picking to learn to find the right colors by yourself. I think it helps more in the long run. Color picking can be a start, though.

Keep working! Have fun!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to kitfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those last two photoshop paintings are really great! Though the little light on the mouse at the end looks off like it doesn't belong there.

Your really getting better..really fast keep working!

The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on that mouse I'm really liking the colours you used. Did you use the standard hard round brush for this?

visit my and help me improve

Kitfox Metalhead3 Not Deadman DTP Miss.BonBon OHI Browntear

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Trailblazer I used the basic brush in Sai to paint the mouse

@Metalhead3 Thank! And that light on the mouse is actually the reflection of the lamp head cuz I placed it above the lamp

@kitfox Thanks!

An even pathetically smaller update... so unmotivated and lazy >.> Back to playing hours of league of legends with my friends instead >.>
    Here's a page of loomis, some hand studies and a WIP for a study of my pencil I'm doing...
    Can't believe I'm still in the same stage for the portrait study I'm doing... just so... unsure as to how to push myself... I know I have to push myself... but how and in which direction... I'll get out of this rut soon

Last edited by Not_Deadman; August 20th, 2011 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get off of them thar vidya games..lol like I can talk..so bad for my art..but ..hell I love them. Perhaps for the moment you should put the portrait aside and try something different, your playing lots of LoL how about some fanart? Just something refreshing push you out of the rut before you slip to far in. Will give you a chance to try out all that figure drawing you've been studying. Nice update by the way, tho I'm guessing the pencils still unfinished? Your legs look good but the hands are still flat to me, try some planes maybe? I can't help you much there as I think you're a bit further along then me in figures. Keep the good stuff rolling.

visit my and help me improve

Kitfox Metalhead3 Not Deadman DTP Miss.BonBon OHI Browntear

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Trailblazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to look up some good art for inspiration! That'll help with motivation. And keep up with the studies! Do a full figure after studying a part of the body to really imprint the information in your mind. It'll also give you a check up on how much you really understand about the figure, the results might be inspiring.

Draw first, then reward yourself with some gaming afterwards.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to kitfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo
    my internet is too slow to load a whole page but from the select few posts i loaded separately i can see a massive improvement. last drawings of the limbs are excellent!

You need to stop playing games though. Its not getting you any better sitting with your buddies and playing someone elses game when you could be drawing and learning. Not saying never again, just moderate them, and if your feeling guilty about not doing art, thats a good time to switch off and get practicing.

you seem to be stuggling with colour i can see from your earlier comments. Something it took me a few years to learn was that when you shade an object of e.g. red, you dont just add more black to the original red colour. You need to think about saturation and value and of course the environment the object is in. if its a sunny day, that means the light is more yellow? mix abit of that into the red. the Sky will be blue aswell, so the reflected light bouncing back off the ground into the shadow will be blue. Wait, the object is on a pink carpet aswell? well you need to think about that too!

so yes, sorry for rambling and creating a massive wall of text haha 0_0
    keep it up!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to DTP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can understand. Video games are sooo addicting But I finally quit for good.

Try get yourself motivated like kitfox said and look at other people's artworks. It also helps by looking at your own old artwork and looking at your new art to see how much progress you made. Kinda gives you a boost of confidence that your going to improve some more.
    And you should draw first and learn something before you play LoL so you don't get sucked in and forget hehe.

The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

46. The Following User Says Thank You to metalhead3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice improvement here ,your dedication is paying off .
    I noticed some great portraits too.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to §Hy9oD For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.