Art: Kilh's Stuff - Dragon and Vomit The Soul - Updated Jan 27.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Kilh's Stuff - Dragon and Vomit The Soul - Updated Jan 27.

Hey there and welcome to my litte sculpting thread. I recently merged the first post with #2 so I don't have to start too many threads.

Please feel free to critique, comment & discuss anything you consider worth it, I'm always thankfull for any tips and hints I can get!

- Daniel Ritthanondh aka Kilh

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kilh; January 27th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there again!
    Currently I'm working on a bear mount trophy (based on Warcraft) that will be used as prize for a machnima contest.

It's ±6" long and will be cast in resin and will be standing on a gear-like, steampunkish socket. If everything goes as planned it will be painted with the modernoptions steel&rust colors/patina, so I don't try to add too many details that will disappear under the pretty thick paint layer.

In terms of style I tried to balance it somewhere between the very comic-ish version from the game and a realistic cave bear.
    I'm still not 100% sure about the fur, but I'm afraid the paint will cover fine details, so I might just stick with the pretty bold fur-style for now.

The grey bodyparts are still the sub-construction and will get more mass and shape (especially the placeholder paws of course).

Any C&C are very welcome - also if anyone has a simplier idea for the mold than a 5-part matrix mold I'd be very gratefull about any tipps

Kilh's Stuff - Dragon and Vomit The Soul - Updated Jan 27.

/////////////////////

I continued covering the body with a lot of fur stuff; unfortunately the pure SS looks a bit off on the photos, but I guess you know that anyway.

The straps/belts will get some more love later.

Last edited by Kilh; December 22nd, 2008 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the bear, but I just wanted to share something else without opening a new thread.

Two little charms I made for friends as a christmas gift. They are around 1" tall, painted with acrylics.

Now. Back to the bear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on the feet now, I might remove some of the furriness later when I made some tests with the paint to find out how many details it will eat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it. one thing that stands out to me though, are the teeth. they look too human. and the way they are currently makes him look like he is grinning or smiling, accentuating a human likeness even more. if this is what you are aiming for, then ignore me, but i think you should work the teeth towards a more bear-like appearance. i think it will really help the piece. the rest of it looks awesome.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yrat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrat View Post
    i like it. one thing that stands out to me though, are the teeth. they look too human. and the way they are currently makes him look like he is grinning or smiling, accentuating a human likeness even more. if this is what you are aiming for, then ignore me, but i think you should work the teeth towards a more bear-like appearance. i think it will really help the piece. the rest of it looks awesome.
    Thanks, I will try to get some more detail into the teeth. Somehow I didn't even notice the "missing" teeth in bear jaws. (It seem's that I'm not the only one though -> )
    Real bear: http://www.answersingenesis.org/asse...v2/n2/2-53.jpg
    WoW bear: http://www.pooh.cz/upload/img/1000/w...ld_vicejaw.jpg

Opening the mouth would probably help turning the smile into a more aggressive expression (and the first version of the mouth was indeed open), but I see too many problems popping up with the casting of the mold.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still not too satisfied with the feet, though they are quite balanced between realistic and ingame paws as far as I can tell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last image is appearing as a red cross for me, anyone else?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Good sculpting - I like your reference of the bear-skeleton you can see on one of the pictures.
    I believe you have reached your intended concept (not overly familiar with Warcraft myself) - but in my opinion, you would get a better fur-structure, if you make the fur itself with a little more detail.
    (I can see the last picture).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aseyngel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aseyngel View Post
    Good sculpting - I like your reference of the bear-skeleton you can see on one of the pictures.
    I believe you have reached your intended concept (not overly familiar with Warcraft myself) - but in my opinion, you would get a better fur-structure, if you make the fur itself with a little more detail.
    (I can see the last picture).
    Thanks, Aseyngel; I'd be happier with a finer fur, but I'll have to test things out when I get the paint (in the next days hopefully). As far as I know it's pretty thick, so it's quite possible that every fine detail would disappear. If enough details survive the paint layer I'll absolutely add more hair detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, wanted to say I'm really liking this bear.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mad Cross, thank you - I'm glad you like it.

I added more fur and some more armor. Also the front-right leg got some tweaking; fur removed here and there to show some more shape of the muscles beneath. The upper half of his left leg is already covered too, but the batteries left me before I could take another photo.

Now that I'm getting closer to the mould making I'd be very happy about any expert's advise. I have some experience with 2-part matrix molds, but the idea of a 3- or 5-part matrix mold pretty much scares me. Would it be too absurd to maybe saw off the legs and reattach them later in order to cast the torso in a 2-part mold? The armature is only 1,5mm aluminium in most parts so I guess I'll be able to get through that somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the bear coat and the saddle and armour details are great! Good work!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariahc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilh View Post
    Opening the mouth would probably help turning the smile into a more aggressive expression (and the first version of the mouth was indeed open), but I see too many problems popping up with the casting of the mold.
    That's one crit that immediately struck me - My eye went straight to that. You wouldn't even have to open the mouth very much. I reckon all you'd have to do is part the teeth a little - release some of that grinning and give it a bit more immediacy and wouldn't overly complicate moulding.

Quick pic. (Touchpads rule, yeah)

Solid sculpt though
    ---

Moulding wise - I'd be tempted to chop his right front leg off (the one on the ground) and then just mould it as simply as possible from there. As long as you take a bit of time to brush the silicone into the details you shouldn't have any problems.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMakesMonkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo, most of the work is completed - though as I already mentioned, depending on the paint I might give the fur a complete workover. His teeth will meet the dentist tomorrow and some of the edges will get a slight knife&sandpaper treatment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very fun looking piece.

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see where Aseyngel is coming from with his comments on finer hair. A few small, sharp tools can easily help you tease out finer strands. Yet, WoW has such a fun, cartoon-like quality to it that the larger clumps seem to mirror that aspect of the game. I think it works for this type of work.

This is for a contest, correct? Good luck with your entry.

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to KingUnicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KingUnicorn View Post
    I see where Aseyngel is coming from with his comments on finer hair. A few small, sharp tools can easily help you tease out finer strands. Yet, WoW has such a fun, cartoon-like quality to it that the larger clumps seem to mirror that aspect of the game. I think it works for this type of work.

This is for a contest, correct? Good luck with your entry.

~KU
    At least for now it would be no problem to get the fur detail 4-5 times finer, but that won't help if it appears as weird bumpy texture after applying the paint. As soon as I get the stuff, there'll be intense testing. I usually work out such stuff with razorblades and I'd be very happy if the paint actually allows that.

I'm glad that everyone (including me) has the same opinion on the fur though Thanks for your advise!

Oh and yes, it's for a contest, but its the prize, not the entry, so hopefully the luck won't be a factor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, as I'm forced to do something else for a few days as my silicone rubber didn't arrive yet I reorganized the thread a bit and began workin on something that was is my head for almost a year.

I found this great illustration by Ben Neall on cgtalk two or three years ago and I thought I might just give it a try.

The planned size from toes to tips of the wings is ± 10 inches.
    Working on the armature I felt like something with her anatomy is not absolutely correct though. Maybe it's just me, but after playing with mirrors, anatomy books and some scribbles I'm under the impression that the original pose would only work in mid-air or space.
    On the other hand I'm really not an anatomy-expert. I'm studying Edouard Lantero's works at the moment, but still far from executing perfect anatomy by instinct.

The sculpture is meant to be standing on the left foot's toes, so I tried to modify the original pose with that in mind, but something seems a bit off to me, though - at least from measuring and comparing proportions - everything should be at the right place. (The arms will be crossed later so I can work on the torso).
    Maybe it's just the not-yet-blocked legs that give the impression of imbalance.
    If someone could have a look at the pose and help me with corrections if needed I'd be very thankful

My first thought after not looking at it for a few hours was that the left leg needs a straighter line, but after trying that and working with the mirror I feel like a straight leg would simply make her loose balance. Any thoughts?

edit: I just noticed the top-view position of shoulders & hip are hard to see on the photos. The left shoulder & hip is slightly twisted to the front.

Last edited by Kilh; December 22nd, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that the understructure looks good on the second piece. The thing that really pops out at me is that the leg from ankle to knee seems a bit short in comparison to the thigh. The pose looks great. I haven't looked at the piece that inspired it but I can see loads of potential here. Keep it up!

Maddmaestro

28. The Following User Says Thank You to maddmaestro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks maddmaestro, I'll have a look at this. Indeed it seems a bit short.
    When I took measurements for the armature I noticed that pretty soon and tried to find a good balance between real proportions and the ones from the illustration, but I think I'll just go with realistic proportions to avoid confusion.

On a sidenote; the paint for the bear finally arrived and I did some basic testing on one of the booties:

I didn't apply any clear coat yet so I guess it will be a bit more brown-ish in the end. The yellow/red rust tones might come out stronger though if I apply the "instant rust" solvent a bit sooner - need some more testing there.

edit: I didn't color-correct the photos and they come out way more yellow-ish than they are. Just imagine some more red-brown

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of silicone rubber and resin later:

There will be some more bumpy brown tones after sealing everthing, more or less removing the intense orange, but the paints demands a 3-day vacation before being tortured with the sealing coat. So be it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Once most of the body mass is on her I'll smooth out the muscles and possibly make her a bit thinner.
    The wings are just loosely attached for some measurements.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thats some pretty cool stuff your making.

Quick question, when making separate pieces such as that shoulder piece on the bear, how do you get that to stay on after you bake it? Do you stick a pin in it or something? Or just slap it on and its good to go.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Käi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Käi View Post
    Hey thats some pretty cool stuff your making.

Quick question, when making separate pieces such as that shoulder piece on the bear, how do you get that to stay on after you bake it? Do you stick a pin in it or something? Or just slap it on and its good to go.
    Thanks, Käi.
    In this case I added some bumps on the inner side of the shoulderpads and attached them with sculpey (and vaseline/petroleum jelly), but it was planned to be cast in resin so I wasn't too afraid of parts falling off. In case the master model is meant to survive as long as possible I'd recommend to add some kind of wire or pin to those parts or glue them on the sculpt with epoxy putty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here are the final shots after sealing for now. "For now" because I'm having a hard time getting any proper photos done through that silky coat with the strong lamps I use for sculpting. A friend of mine might be able to help me out with that in a few days... or weeks.

Tell me what you think and thanks to everyone for all the tipps during the process!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and I'd like to introduce a little nightly sideproject; "Skörg - Devourer of Socks"
    I think he's responsible for several thousand socks I lost in my life... you know. You put a pair in your closet and only one comes back - possibly he even gets payed by the sock industry - who knows.
    He lost his right eye when he met the guy who keeps on stealing my lighters.

So far its just a rough concept as I didn't feel like drawing much there. I'll just see how it turns out. Maybe some tentacles here an there, hmmm...
    He'll be standing on his freshly obtained stack of socks; the position of the right leg might be a bit misleading on the back view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phase 1: Collect Socks
    Phase 2: ???
    Phase 3: Profit!

Very cool looking character btw

38. The Following User Says Thank You to nickb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, nickb!

Throwing in a quick 20-minute scribble here. I didn't really feel like sculpting as I'm not sure how some things will look and experiment a bit with the colors. The blurry, rough parts are basicly what I still have to think about (i.e. everything except the head I guess)

Damn I haven't touched a pen for ages. Obviously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After removing some of his bodyparts several times (everything except the head to be more precise), trying different looks and stuff I pretty much returned to the first concept, though he will receive some pirate's boots and pants instead of the drawer-shoes. Kids: Dont start sculpting anything if you dont even know what you are sculpting, unless you're a genious! It will save you a lot of nerves...

I played around with it a bit in photoshop to get a better idea of what I'm doing; the images is based on a wip-shot. Obviously I'm not a pro sock drawer *coughs* Oh well, as long as they are sculptable. As you can see the arms also got replaced by tentacles. The reptile and scale tests just didnt look right.

Last edited by Kilh; January 6th, 2009 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.