Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger's Sketchbook - 2013 - <3

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KonnA View Post
    I see you use Hogarths Anatomy book... I heard bad things about it.

Nice progress though!

It's not bad if you can learn from it. Sometimes it takes looking at something super stylized, like Hogarthe, for the basics to make sense - you get to see something exaggerated and your mind is forced to average that with your understanding of that situation. Hogarthe isn't the be-all, end-all of resource material but studying from it is far from a waste of time.

Rogerb: I enjoyed your notes on the leg studies from recently. I'm awed by how many of these things you crank out in such a short period of time. Well done!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kinjura For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like you anatomy studies! nice progress.
    maybe you should try painting an entire body? with values and stuff ... would be interesting.

Thanks
    your study work is really inspiring, dude.
    all this hard work is paying of for sure.
    but don't forget to do a lot of studies from life! they're difficult at the beginning but they'll help you lots as well.
    go roger, go!

Thanks
    your painting and drawings have definately improved

Thanks
    This is some stuff i made last 2 days.. i should maybe start doing some digitals... but im rly scared of color ...

Roger's Sketchbook  - 2013 - <3
    this one got a little weird after scanning.. dont know why.

thnx!

Thanks
    Hi there! The improvement in your pencil work is astonishing. Both in line, solidity and correction (anatomy studies sure pay off!) You work hard, so thanks for setting a good example. Your last digital is also much better than the first ones.

Thanks
    Lots of work in this Sketchbook!

Love the hand studies(Bridgman´s I think). Apart from that, there´s line quality and cleanliness constantly improving in your works, but yes, as some other told you already, basics like box building, spheres, cylinders, and of course, perspective, will be key in making your artwork advance in a solid way. For instance, at least for me, it becomes frustrating to draw a character without the having the knowledge and constant practice of visual tools like the ones I just mentioned(spheres, boxes, cylinders...)

I can also see in your portraits that you go directly to paint the whole, not going for the blocking in to set the facial features. That´s something that ensures that you put everything on it´s place(sure that you know about the head drawing book from Loomis).

Apart from that, I wish I can compete with you in determination becoming a real draughtsman
    Wishing to see much more of your hard work.
    Cheers.

Jose.

P.S: Thanks a lot for visiting my SB!

Thanks
    @ Leonor: Thank you for the kind words. I also notice i'm improving. And that works really motivating I just got to work harder to overcome all my flaws!

@ Jpdelteso: Thanks about the hand studies, they are indeed bridgeman and my own hand Also thanks for pointing out my weak point.
    I actually tried some boxbuilding and sphere cutting ( down here in the sketchbook pages ) and OHMYGOD.. i totally sucked.. i foundthis so hard, it amazed me.. Putting something in perspective was also so extremely easy, untill i figured out i was doing it wrong.. And now i have so much trouble with even finding the middle lind of a sphere and stuff.. I have to practice this, but how? HELP! ANYONE! Drawing alot of spheres? :X i dont get it, i did this for sometime.. and i thought i mastered it kinda.. but i suck in drawing a nice circle now.. And i dont know if anyone else has this problem.. but if you try to master something like anatomy outlines of a character , your skill to draw a good face drops, and then you focus on faces and your general anatomy poses skill drops.. atleast thats how i feel about the work i do.. Like i practice 1 thing and then that skill goes up but at the other hand something else goes down..

Anyway i keep blabbling! Time for me to get some sleep, work tomorrow!

here is some sketchbook stuff:
    This is where i tried the box stuff and spheres and totally failed at them!
    Im pretty ashamed to post this, im sorry for the extremely low quality of this But we all gotta learn right people
    And after the failure i wanted to boost my confidence, this is just a copy of someone else hardwork :X im sorry! Just thought it was a cool pic.
    And then i tried a digital,, to overcome the fear of color.. still scared.

Thanks
    Whoa! Big improvement with the facial features study!! Keep learning and applying your new understanding to what you create!

Smooth out those digital renders! A bit on the foggy side. Give them some more attention

Gave you some stars to keep you movin'!
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Hey thanks for the quick reply! It's great to see all these anatomy studies, they
    really help and your faces are also getting better.
    Cheers
    when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Your first blind contours struck me as traced. The lines are, I dont like saying flawless, but yea I'd consider them pretty perfect. Unless you did contour blind, and then went over it with a darker pencil and fixed it up. Or you've got a TON of experience with it. Generally, I don't think contour blind looks that good.

Next, you have a torso labelled wrong. It's the page of Arms where you have written "movement changes the shape of muscles" - The names of the muscles aren't necessarily important, but they are very helpful to know. The shape is what most starting artists might want to be more concerned with. Pretty much just swap "Latissimus Dorsi (spelling?)" and "Pectoralis Major" and there ya go. "pectoralis Minor" on that torso is actually the Anterior head of the Deltoid. Pecs and Deltoids do two very different things. One lifts the arm out to the side, one pulls it towards the sternum.

On a brighter note: your stuff is VERY clean, which I like. I also like that you're using work from Bridgman and there is another book you have that I USED to have for references and you're studying them. That will definitely help. Don't forget the life drawings - drawing from real life is the best way to go (and probably something I should be doing more of). Well done.

In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    hey man i can see that your anatomy skills are constantly improving just keep at those studies and try and do more facial studies but look at the shape and contours of the face to understand it a bit more and this will help with placement of facial features
    keep drawing !
    SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

Thanks
    @iane: Thank you for the nice words, i will do more facial features studies for sure! They indeed help alot. About the digitals, i will try to put some more effort and time in them. Though i think it is my style or my lack of skill to make it smooth.

@Kischi: Thanks man, ur sketchbook was inspirational to me!

@hitnrun: Thanks for taking time to look trough my sketchbook and thanks for the nice pointers and crits you gave me.
    The blind contours excersice is something that works incredibly good. Best way to do it is to just make yourself not lift your pencil even when you make a wrong line.
    It helps to see the negative space and so u see form instead of the object itself.
    About the mislabelled muscles, i dont care so much about the names,
    i kinda copied it from a book.
    Though the comment about the movement of the muscles change the shape of the whole is a true statement i think . Anyway, thanks again for the kind words and crits!

@Bagg: Thanks! Im practicing as much as i can to get as good as i can be!
    I will do more studies untill i freakin understand everything i draw/create!

Here is some more stuff i did today

90 second poses, need to practice this more..
    Some random stuff
    Just letting my hand & mind go..

Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast