Sketchbook: Roger's Sketchbook - 2013 - <3 - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger's Sketchbook - 2013 - <3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool little environment studies. When you're working in color really be mindful of saturation. Most of your colors are extremely saturated. For example this last piece with link and the princess; the princess, link and the red carpet are all very saturated. You might want to desaturate the carpet since it's not very important and desaturate link a little since he's mainly in shadow. Also since things become grayer the further away they are, the princess should desaturate as well compared to the foreground.

Also playing with light can really draw our eye around the image. The streak of light falling on zelda is nice, but it would be much more dynamic if everything else was darker. Try to be conscious of your decisions. Think why you're choosing that hue,saturation,brightness.

cheers!

attached is a quick paintover trying to show what I meant; just adjusted the lighting and changed the the saturation.

Name:  gameover-v1-2.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  504.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to le capitan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I can't believe how good you're getting. That side by side pic is crazy! The new warrior is really good, especially for doing it out of your head. I agree about the skin thing. It looks like he has very thin skin right now.

I also agree about the saturation crit too. The carpet was too strong of a red.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tdHendrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    muscle structure looks goooood!!! the rendering seems to be a problem to you...so practice! photostudies (both, digital and pencil, will help!)
    keep it up

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jatherip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what ja said, really

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that this is probably your best update yet!
    That first sketch is great. The pose is good, his proportions look good and the way you rendered that shield is fantastic, describes the forms really really well. You should be proud of that man. Would be cool to see you push a sketch like this a bit further, go fully rendered, using the white of the paper as the brightest highlight only. But I get the impression this was a prep sketch for your Zelda illustration so may have been a bit redundant to do it on this sketch.
    Your pen work is rather snazzy as well, the faces in particular. The proportions are good on all of them, although I think the profile sketches aren't up to the standard of the rest. Certain features seem to protrude more than they should, the chin on the bottom guy especially. Line wise I think they look fairly confident, although less so in the full body poses. Also you've been smart about leaving out certain lines and not putting too many down which can make drawings very messy, especially when drawing faces. The eye in the top right is badass!
    Poses have a good weight and tension to them although i think the lines are a bit weaker here than with your faces. You're using several short strokes to describe a contour that could be done with a single more thought out stroke. I do the same thing and I'm assuming it's a lack of confidence with anatomy/proportion as it is with me. I found that for me it helps either to very lightly sketch out the rough proportions in pencil 1st as guides, then ink over with the final lines. Or to simply just repeat the pose, so do one that may be a bit more hesitant, then if I think it looks alright, draw the same thing again. Usually you're much more confident 2nd time around and the lines usually feel much for natural.
    It might not work for you, other than that it's just a case of building up the confidence with a pen i think, also maybe try using a rollerball or brush pen, they flow easier than thin scratchy ones.
    Orc sketch I already spoke to you about I think, but oh well. I wanted to see a turban damn it! ha ha. Main issue with this one is how rippled you have his arms, if you toned it down slightly to the level of his chest and abdomen I think it would work better. Would be cool to see a design on those glove things to. His head structure is particularly good as well.
    I don;t really know that much about colour so can't really comment on your studies, it looks like you could do with a few more strokes on the master study though, it looks a little speckled atm.
    Bonus points for a charcoal sketch, I fucking love charcoal! It's got some nice weight to it as well. Try adding some chalk highlights next time, really make it pop!
    Zelda piece is cooool, fuck the haters! I think you went a bit overboard with the glow on the highlights though, also the drapery on the tunic covering his ass looks off, the wrinkles have good form I just think they are in the wrong places. The area looks pretty flat as oppose to round buttocks (I can't believe I just commented on how round Link's butt is!?) I don't know enough to say exactly where they should go but taking a reference shot should clear it up.
    Keep up the work man, don't let people get you down. The improvement is clear so just keep at it.

Peeeeeeace
    Dan

10. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Le captain: Thank you for the detailed crit and the paintover!
    Ill try to watch it nextime

TdHendrix: Hah , thnx .. now you update hmmkai?

Jatherip: ok thnx

Mark: Thank you for putting so much effort in there! It rly helped me!

DanLambert: Oh no wait,, your comment rly helped me!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to come up with such an awsome post man!
    I appreciate it very much! Thank you , thankyou thank you!!!

Here is some crap from the last few days Its not all great ;S Ohwell.

a thunderdome:

sketchbook studys and stuff:

quickies fails!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems you need more studies, but not only from color photos - do greyscaled stuff too.
    Also, your brushwork seems dodgy, use many brushes for different purposes. you should have a hard round, a huge soft one, and a small brush with size set to pressure for the small details. And that's just the bare minimum.
    On the girl portrait - the mouth looks out of perspective.

When I look at your rendered works, it's like you know what you're doing, but there's still this "unnatural" feel, and I don't know why. try to always check if everything looks right and use ref to make it realistic and natural.

Best of luck, and hope you'll make sense from my ramblings
    Mark

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st up, I'm giving you the same assignment I just gave myself, more digital value studies, and more facial feature studies. I say this because that portrait is good, but the values are looking a little flat in places and there seems to be a lack of structure and detail in some of the feature, specifically around the eyes. I'm struggling with the same stuff, so let's get to it!
    I disagree that you 'should' have lots of different brushes for different things, all it will do is encourage you to rely on the brushes as shortcuts, or as replacement for learning how to render things properly.
    TD is sweet, my favourite of that particular challenge. The pose is strong, good sense of light and shadow, and he has melty boots. ha.
    Impressed with your poses, you're tackling some pretty difficult angles and perspectives in a lot of them and pulling them off well. Much more of these!
    That pencil portrait is great man, 1st off, if it's from your head I hate you! ha ha, yeah crits....there are a few tiny issues with feature placement, but they are minor and I'm sure you're already aware of them. The biggest issue I can see with it is the rendering, you're being too harsh man. It's a female, the fewer noticeable marks and strokes the better, you gotta build up the graphite/value gradually. Nice and subtle.

Oh, and toxi troll needs more slime!

Peace
    Dan

16. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I meant to say to you earlier, I was thinking maybe we could give ourselves like a week long project to do, maybe a self portrait (I know, I'm obsessed with portraits atm), or we could find a cool image we both like and both do a long study of that. I was thinking a pencil sketch, so we can focus on getting our values solid. Values are the key!

Let me know, and thanks again for the awesome crit

Peace
    Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mark: Thank for the comment this time i should use more reference.. i tend to not allow myself to look at reference.. making up stuff can be hard sometimes, so i do need more studies there

@danlambert: Thank you for the awsome post here The poses are just scratches ;D I always have a piece of paper nearby where i can scratch some gestures in from time to time ;D So i dont like most of them .. I also have a problem that if i want to set up a pose for a good/big drawing, i use to much anatomy and stuff on the structure i lose grip of what i wanted to draw in the first place.. you know this problem?
    I should learn to better use my pencil indeed and use a normal pencil for rendering instead of my mechanical pencil
    And on the proposal you just made, im up for that :o And i love selfportraits, i should definatly do those more often.. So much to do, so little time

Here is some stuff from yesterday and the day before that.. 2 days only :o

TD- alien plumber 35mins

Digitals n shitttz

enjoy!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second last two digitals are really strong! The brush-strokes in that are a lot better than anything else I've seen you do!

For the other two, they feel really muddy, watch out for that, it mostly comes from mixing colours in the wrong spots, and not being clean.
    Also don't be afraid of using soft brushes. As long as you do the clean-up work and sharpen lines up after they can be a real time saver, and can quite often do a job that a hard round couldn't.

If you are having trouble coming up with interesting colour schemes, what I tend to do is for the first 5 min, throw down random colours and mess around with layer modes and push it into something i like. I find its alot more chaotic, therfore it causes you to come up with some reallly interesting palletes. Even if you paint mostly over the top of this, it sets up the mood and feeling of a piece and i find it really helps.

All of the pencil stuff is looking really strong, I don't really have any criticism there.
    Perhaps have a go at doing some chows, might be a good way to put this practice to use .

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uuh, nice portrait. anyway the eyes look a bit off.
    i think you should try to bring more structure in your brushstrokes. it seems like you are tipping with your pencil on the GT instead of making clear lines. nice portrait anyway keep them comin´!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell yeah man! gettin better! keep this up and always use ref

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good evening sir, a fine night for a critique wouldn't you say? haha

Those poses and Loomis gesture things are looking nice and natural, some good dynamic ones as well. Also your lines are looking noticeably more confident in a lot of them. It seems like you're starting to get a pretty good idea what to do with a single figure in pose/perspective, so I say step it up a notch and try multiple figures interacting together. That will force you to pay really close attention to the perspective and ground planes of the figures as well as encourage more dynamic and unusual poses.
    Moving onto your arm studies (the non bridgman ones), I would really avoid just drawing the outlines if you can, always try to indicate the solid forms within those outlines. You can use line or shapes of value, it doesn't need to look realistic as they are just studies but it's important that you are constantly thinking of the form as a 3D object.
    On that last sketch of the posed woman, it's good to see you're thinking about the shadow shapes. When doing your studies, try to look for shapes of shadow you can simplify, this will help you to remember them when doing drawings like this. I would suggest doing some value studies from photo reference (yes, I said it, REFERENCE!) or life and squinting to get the block shapes.
    I already talked to you about your painting of the woman so I won't repeat it here, that last painting from life is looking good, not really much to say except keep it up, and really look hard at the colours you're painting. It's far better to spend longer observing and have the painting take longer than rush it because you think you should be working faster. Not saying that you rushed it, just that you should be really spending time looking at what you're painting.

Good job man, keep up the hard work

Peace
    Dan

26. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff sir! I'm really liking the figure stuff you've been posting lately. Looks like you've been looking at loomis. The last three digital paints are very nice, especially the pear. I'd really like to see those polished up.

That alien plumber is quite horrid. The colors are pretty boring and everything is basically the same value. Also the composition is very boring. Try messing with the camera angle and making things more interesting with overlapping objects in the foreground, middleground, and background.

cheers!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to le capitan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking the digital stuff man. Your portraits are getting a lot better. I wish I could think of something useful to critique, but I usually like your stuff so I can't ever think of anything to say

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdHendrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the head studies RogerB. Keep up the anatomy and proportion studies. The last Zelda piece is nice. I like the lighting in the background. This might be too picky but Link does not seem to fit the same drama or emotion as Zelda does in the background. It might be the difference between Link's static pose and hers but he doesn't really add a whole lot to the narrative of the piece for me. Still good use of reflective light and color. Think about texture too. Everything has the same soft feel except maybe the hilt of the sword. You use texture more effectively in your traditional work but not in digital as much. I had this issue with my own work too so I spent a day just experimenting with how many different kinds of marks I could make in Painter. Try it out if you have some free time. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muz: Hey, thanks for the crits . they where usefull Thanks man!

Herr: Thanks

Mark: Thank you!

Danlamb: Thank you i noted it all down Thank you for the help here man!
    Much appreciated!

Capitan: Haha, thanks.. and yes that Alien plumber is amazingly stupid I suck at thunderdomes

TdHendrix: haha thanks, if anything comes to mind just blow it out here I could use any advice!

Sketchpages:

lifedrawing+fantasy arms legs cuz i had time to spare:

Some digital work.. 2 master studies and 1 from head

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st page looks really good man, some good form and it looks like you're drawing through the form as well which is really good. 2nd page has some issue, the pose is strong but I think the head, or it might be just the features on the head are too big. Also your arms are coming across as short and fat as oppose to foreshortened. To Hogarth! he'll explain it way better than I ever could.
    I can't really say much about the accuracy of the master studies without the referenced painting, if you post them up I'll try to give more detailed feedback on them if you want it. What's standing out to me about them at the moment though is edges. The all seem to be really hard at the moment so I really suggest either on these or on the next one you do paying attention to where edges are sharper, and also where they are soft or disappear all together. I think in all honestly that's what will help take your painting to the next level, your vales are usually solid and I like the ay you use colour. So do it! Then I can be all jealous and just make bitchy unhelpful comment at you until I catch up

Peeeeace
    Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dan, thanks I think the first masterstudy is definatly better than the second one.. the second one has to much hard edges an lightspots which is making him look bad.. also the construction of that face is just messed up.. its to fat
    ill work on it Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

The masterstudies are awesome, really good color especially the first one

I agree with danlambert, I think you should blend some edges instead of leaving them looking very rough

Try to lower the opacity of the brush

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what danlambert said about edges is really important man!
    keep it in mind

also I'd go with more stroke economy.

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realize that this basically makes me the most hypocritical person in the world but.....let's see some updates man, I want to know what you've been working on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're making good progress on your digital paintings. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys im gonna need some time to put an update up here..
    Last week was crazy
    I had to do this assignment i had to finish by friday. And then 1 of my aquaria snapped So i had to fix all that.
    + I havent done anyting digital but there is alot of paper work
    By monday its all up! ..
    Thanks for the concern boys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is some crap from me.. ive been to busy to do anything cool/usefull .. sorry

here is it:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About fucking time.....haha

Can't go into great depth as I'm in a bit of a rush but I shall do my best to be as mean as possible regardless! ha

Already spoke about the still life so won't do it again. Your poses are looking really strong, your using some nice gestural and long lines in a lot of cases and it's helping add to the movement, there are very few if any I'd say looked static. However there are a few issues with a few of them. The 1st one that stuck out is in the top right corner of the 3rd image down, the guy with his arms and legs thrown back. The issue here is anatomy, the human pelvis makes it almost impossible for the legs to bend backwards, all movement like that comes from the lower back and spine. The pelvis and upper leg will be parallel in pretty much all cases unless the leg is moving forwards. Therefore the pose you have drawn is impossible without some kind of horrific injury!
    The rest is looking pretty solid man, just keep on with it. Would be cool to see some more fully rendered pencil sketches.

Peace
    Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, seriously your digitals are improving so damn quick. those studies seem to help you tons!
    And all your work on those figures is great. they tend to be a bit stiff in their backs, maybe try out a few more crawling positions or ducking aways from something. get a bit more movement in their upper bodies. (haha everytime I write this I realize I need to work on that a lot myself...)
    looking forward to more, buddy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The figures are looking cool. I'm liking your digital studies. The silver cup in the still life looks nice. I think the mouse is too dark.

It would be cool to see you work on a full figure for an extended length of time and make it the best you can with shading and everything. Maybe 2 figures interacting or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man the figures look good
    but the paints don't.. you need better edge control and construction - that still life is out of perspective

I'd say that from now on you should do a still life a day to bring your painting skills up to speed

Take care

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13