line quality in Painter 7???

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am just wondering what types of settings will give me that fat to thin and help create a very natural line with a lot of character in the lines.

I saw a cool tut for illustrator 10 on this,

http://www.pensnpixels.com/tutorials/digink.htm

how can I do this type of line in painter?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

The lines you see in the tutorial are done with a vector program. In other words, the bezier curves can be edited if they don't go down exactly as the artist wanted on the first try.

Painter's a raster program and though it does provide Shapes (vector based bezier curves) that can also be edited just as Illustrator's can, they don't vary in width within a single curve as some do in Illustrator. Instead, the entire curve is whatever width the user chooses it to be or, after drawing it, changes it to be. If it's, for instance, 3 pixels wide at the beginning of the curve, it's 3 pixels wide all along the curve to the end.

To create a thick and thin line in Painter, it has to be drawn or painted using the Brush tool and one of a number of brush variants.

Brushstroke size is controlled in one of several ways, most commonly with pressure.

The Pens brush category contains a few examples and there are others, or brush variants that, in their default state don't do this, but can be adjusted to paint thick and thin lines.

Examples from the Pens brush category:

To learn how these variants are set up, choose one and open the Brush Creator, then study all of the settings in each Brush Creator section as well as in the Color Expression section. Then choose another of the brush variants and study the settings again.

After a while, you'll begin to see the patterns and understand more about how to set up custom brush variants if you're not happy with the default variants.

I'd suggest working with the default variants for a while, though, to get the feel of them and learn how to make the most of them, before launching off to make custom variants.

TIP:

Remember, in Painter we have a great advantage not found in other programs. That is, we can use the Rotate Page tool (click the E key) to temporarily rotate the image, clockwise or counter-clockwise, to any angle so it's comfortable to paint or draw. To return the image to its upright position, click in the image with the Rotate Page tool.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by Jin; November 26th, 2003 at 12:06 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, thats what I was looking for. I am just starting to explore painter for other types of drawing. (normally just concept cars)

This site has been a great help, as have you.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

You're welcome! Happy to hear it helps a little.

The best way to learn about Painter's brushes is to begin at the top of the brush category list, and paint some brushstrokes with each variant, then go to the next brush category, and so on.

Keep notes when you find something you like, and study the settings in the Brush Creator.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 1