Words of Wisdom from Jason Manley - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Words of Wisdom from Jason Manley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hell yeah, go out there and get some! GET SOME!!!

polylover.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read this for the first time yesterday and was able to tack an extra to-do item on my New Years Resolution list: Get rid of/stay away from people who aren't going anywhere in life. My studio is a delicate mixture of public/private....you can walk in off the street, but if you have no purpose when entering, then usually nosy people leave. Crime doesn't bother me so much. I've designed the front counter to be a psychological deterrent and a glaring obstacle in anybody's stick up plan, besides, I stay strapped with a .44 DE, a Mossberg Home Invasion Special, and a few other pleasant surprises. My point for bringing this up is that you would think criminals are your biggest threat in such a setting? No. Not for creatives. Our biggest threat is a few of the people that we let in ourselves, allow them to sit around and watch us while we work. They may even be a supposed friend or long time associate of yours. What makes them so dangerous is envy. I listen to these particular people and their dialog during conversation, watch body language and gauge mood while in my presence. Then I pay attention to their actions while not in my presence. I can tell those that envy the ease at which I carry out my tasks, complete my work, and even worse, get paid for it. These people are lost, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to walk into one's studio and see that it takes time, energy, and sometimes money to build ourselves up to the point that we deserve to be where we are. Actually they do see it, they just don't want to see it, chaos is a much easier path for most with no reward at the end. Well, I have a few snakes in the basket myself around here. Reading what Jason wrote at this time is pretty much a solid signal for me to set that basket on fire. I really can't see myself feeding these ticks and mosquitoes any longer. Happy New Years people, make sure your studios and workspaces are as clean as possible going into 2010, this includes potential losers.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chipsterology For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally Posted by Jason Manley
    first, you are not trapped in your situation. You can get out of any situation you want if you are willing to take the pain of doing all the things you dont want to do..the long hard way. The fruitful way.

----------------

In time I realized it was not a chase against others but to only my own race to my goals. Kept the nose down. Chose friends who worked on art or learning always. Ignored the time wasting folk....

----------------

...in time your life becomes what you want it to be. It is not money that holds people back...[it's] just their own mind.

----------------

The hard part about certain situations is not everyone is told they can do and reach their goals if they just work their ass off starting RIGHT NOW. Some know it and wont work for whatever reason. They listen to that voice that says I want to chill and watch tv or i dont feel like it. Others have addictions or mental issues keeping them from growing and learning. I didnt want to be any of that. I wanted to do cool stuff...to have an interesting life...and to work in a creative way.

----------------

Carl Dobsky was telling me this about the atelier every day. It has to be just uncomfortable enough to make the coolest thing to do be art. If there is a blaring tv or anything else, than there are other options. Options that keep one from not working to reach their goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackARK View Post
    I read this for the first time yesterday and was able to tack an extra to-do item on my New Years Resolution list: Get rid of/stay away from people who aren't going anywhere in life.

----------------

Our biggest threat is a few of the people that we let in ourselves.... They may even be a supposed friend or long time associate of yours.

----------------

These people are lost.... Actually they do see it, they just don't want to see it, chaos is a much easier path for most with no reward at the end. Well, I have a few snakes in the basket myself around here. Reading what Jason wrote at this time is pretty much a solid signal for me to set that basket on fire. I really can't see myself feeding these ticks and mosquitoes any longer. Happy New Years people, make sure your studios and workspaces are as clean as possible going into 2010, this includes potential losers.
    Wow! Thanks to Jason first...and to everyone else for contributing to a very helpful thread.

I'm in a stage of working to get to the next level with my art and in my life.

Something that has been difficult for me to acknowledge, and let go of, are supposed friends who are sabotaging my efforts.

Artist "friends" who's own efforts can be measured through a straw.
    Artist "friends" who have their drawing tables set up in fromt of a TV shrine.
    Artist "friends" who can argue the merits of signing a urinal and calling it art, suggesting you have to understand the era and artist, but who can conversely never find anything they like about your art.
    And artist "friends" who suddenly go silent about any improvement you make, or about awards or accolades you begin to recieve for your work.

I'm reading The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron and she writes about "Poisonous Playmates" and "Crazymakers" who disrpupt your life and efforts.

She offers insight about how to tell the difference between useful and USELESS (abusive) criticism:

Useful: "[When] accurate...give an artist an inner sense of relief: 'Ah, hah! so that's what's wrong with it'....and ultimately leaves us with one more puzzle piece for our work."

Useless: "....it is withering and shaming in tone, ambiguous in content, personal, inaccurate, or blanket in it's condemnations...[there is nothing to be gained from it]."

I realize I'm focusing on one part of Jasons excellent post...but it's something I'm dealing with right now...and thought I'd share.

BTW...I'm not promoting or affiliated with Camerons book and have nothing to gain by sharing about it...but she does go on to offer advice on how to deal with criticism.

And it occurs to me to add...some art teachers have given me useless (abusive) criticism...and I'm starting to see it for what it is too.

Anyway...maybe this will help someone else. I hope so.

Once again, thanks for sharing Jason's post here.

Ciao fer now

Last edited by Jephyr X; January 9th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr X For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its always great to hear when people who have had it really rough are able to come through becuase they refuse to break under the pressure. They continue to fight for what they want. We all should learn to be thankful for what we have, becuase there are many others who are so underprivileged. But at the same time, strive to achieve something and not let situations take us down.

You have had a hard road Jason. Good to see you are still moving forward. God bless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will always look at this thread when I need a boost.

Last edited by Jie Kageshinzo; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing Jason this thread is an inspiration, it's heart-warming to learn we all have challenging experiences to overcome and that if we don't get bogged down in self-pity it can make us a stronger person and help us achieve more than we thought possible.

x

ps Jephyr X I'm also working my way through Julia Cameron's The Artist Way, the morning pages are one of the most effective unblocking exercises I've ever done..hope you find your way x

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; April 19th, 2010 at 06:22 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Jason, you had a pretty hard life. I read your thread about the reality of going to art school and I was intimidated that you never went to art school and never even graduated high school. I thought you were a lucky monster genius, that it until I read this. I realized that you had to work really hard and overcome the obstacles to get to where you are. Very humble, very humble indeed

Hehe, I live a very pampered life and I'm aware that there are artists who have less opportunities than me are way ahead of me. I better take advantage of the things I do have and work hard to get to my goals and become good as the artists featured on this website. Thanks for the good kick in the ass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My story is vary similar....Just that It's still in the starting part....Hope I make it...Thanks Jas..Hope to be writing something like this after 10 years.

the pencil can be the heaviest thing on this earth...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx so much for sharing, Jason! The most inspiring words I've ever read (aside from MindCandyMan's thread heheh...)

Last edited by BluezAce; June 4th, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Visit my Sketchbook!!

Don't forget to check out this hot SB too!!
    DSmith
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

Finally I met some fellow comrade from Indonesia
    witcrack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loved the last part--it really hit home. If I'm honest with myself, I have been complacent about sharpening my skills. I've thought a lot about it, but that voice keeps saying "just chill and do it tomorrow". Meanwhile I'm stuck in the same rut I was in yesterday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wonderful advice, inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This actually made me feel really bad. I've never had a job and I'm 20, and am currently being supported by my single mother at home. I pretty much just go to my community college and then come home and sit here doing nothing. I only practice 1-2 hours a day right now and have only been doing it for four months. I've had no motivation, even realizing that sitting here doing nothing is only hurting me. I think this post might actually give me motivation to spend my time doing something while I have the comfort of living for free...

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hats are tipped, and the glasses have been raised.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really needed this !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really needed this !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really need to get back here every day, and read this until it's ingrained into my skull...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    This actually made me feel really bad. I've never had a job and I'm 20, and am currently being supported by my single mother at home. I pretty much just go to my community college and then come home and sit here doing nothing. I only practice 1-2 hours a day right now and have only been doing it for four months. I've had no motivation, even realizing that sitting here doing nothing is only hurting me. I think this post might actually give me motivation to spend my time doing something while I have the comfort of living for free...
    At least you go to a community college. Kudos for putting up with that. I had to drop out. Was going to move in the middle of nowhere anyway.

I'm unhappily jobless, collegeless, supported by two parents. I'm never happy with the way things are but I keep on moving. There are spikes where I get really motivated but there's also downhills so steep that coming back to this thread once in a blue moon isn't enough - I just printed it out right now and clipped it in an area so I can see it everyday. I think it's helping.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, it is time to draw in my sleep. Day time is not enough.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for those words, they did inspire me back in 2010, when I met Jason Manley at Pixel Show, and those words continue to inspire me and help me focus on my future.

Please, check my SKETCHBOOK and leave feedback. I want to improve!
    "Little by little, one travels far."
    - J. R. R. Tolkien
    -----
    Don't forget to check their sketchbooks as well:
    Aragah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like I need to say thank you right now. Not later at home when I'm sitting around doing nothing, but here at school where I'm also doing nothing. I need to look at my life. I'm not rich, my mother struggles to support our family and all I do is freeload. I can't get a job in our town and my grades are tanked. But I know that I can change that; and I will. Thank you so much Jason, and everyone else who has shared their inpiration with us. Bless.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    At least you go to a community college. Kudos for putting up with that. I had to drop out. Was going to move in the middle of nowhere anyway.

I'm unhappily jobless, collegeless, supported by two parents. I'm never happy with the way things are but I keep on moving. There are spikes where I get really motivated but there's also downhills so steep that coming back to this thread once in a blue moon isn't enough - I just printed it out right now and clipped it in an area so I can see it everyday. I think it's helping.
    It's okay, my friend is like that too. You probably have depression or something, might want to get that checked . I had depression all through high school and my first year of college. It was horrible.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Such an inspirational read. I immediately deleted all videogames off my computer after reading it :/ Don't have time to waste on that shit...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What inspiring words! I always feel like I'm late with taking art seriously, feel like "Oh I should have started taking it seriously at the age of 8 or something" People say your just 16 and all but I still want to see that "Legit Concept Art" soon so I could atleast feel happy about my progress. Then jealousy runs in but I always tell myself to STFU and practice because whining and complaining won't get me anywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strangely enough, during my study time at design school, I was slacking of like hell... so much wasted time. T_T but since I finnished I got rid of the games and the tv and work my ass off to finally get on the level I want be.

Still not there yet. Right now I think the design school was the wrong choice, a professional art school would have been better.

Great thread. Great quote.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't believe it was a useless thread. And I can't believe I just noticed this. Three years later. This thread should be removed. The one it came from did so with out the original context this thread is pointless. I have moved on from that idiocracy and I do hope you will respect me and delete this thread. After all, the message was directed to me. And if not well then I will be grateful to know what I've done inspired others. Even though this thread is about one of the founders. Thanks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for this post, I will never forget this.

Last edited by Dormema; November 9th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember this quote... Very inspiring words.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for not letting this inspiring post dissapear!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for this, could really use this kind of perspective into things. It's so easy to think "nah, why bother, takes too long to become good at anything anyway, now what's on TV tonight?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 72