Words of Wisdom from Jason Manley
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Words of Wisdom from Jason Manley

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Words of Wisdom from Jason Manley

There's an otherwise useless thread in the Lounge that's been closed, but it contained this post from Jason that I thought shouldn't slip into obscurity. So here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    first, you are not trapped in your situation. You can get out of any situation you want if you are willing to take the pain of doing all the things you dont want to do..the long hard way. The fruitful way.

At seventeen I was homeless and orphaned, taking care of my fourteen year old brother who I somehow managed to keep in school. I had dropped out of school. I did two years of wasting time eventually trying to get my head on straight. At nineteen I was homeless again. Scraped together enough money to get my ass to arizona to study art. Got a temp apt to get me through to the end of the month and took a job at subway (applied all over til I found something). The subway job paid enough money to sometimes eat and pay my small studio rental. I went back to school to get my graduation and was working full time (thought I needed to graduate from HS to get into a good college). Trust me...it was fucking painful. I transferred to a community college the following year and slowly got better and better jobs. Worked telemarketing fundraising to afford a 1977 datsun and art supplies. Shittiest job ever but paid double what subway did. Worked three jobs during the summer to get caught up including going to alaska to work the salmon docks across the country. I did not give a shit what it was, if it paid for my goals to be met and didnt involve anything illegal, I did it.

As time went on I realized I needed to arrange my priorities again. I took a night time job so I could exhaust all my energies in my art and studies. Eventually got a job at AT&T...Att this is Jason how may I help you?...I was still far behind those who had life handed to them their whole life. However, I was catching up. In time I realized it was not a chase against others but to only my own race to my goals. Kept the nose down. Chose friends who worked on art or learning always. Ignored the time wasting folk who never will amount to anything other than regular. Grew up around enough of those to realize the difference. After three and a half years I took my first art job and quit my shit job...have lived with and from art ever since.

By the time I was 29 I had achieved every goal I had reached for when I first set out. That is when I realized it was time to set new goals...each time this happens it feels like starting over...get something done..start again...in time your life becomes what you want it to be. Even those of money have to do this if their life involves learning, skill, and growth. It is not money that holds people back...is just their own mind.

The hard part about certain situations is not everyone is told they can do and reach their goals if they just work their ass off starting RIGHT NOW. Some know it and wont work for whatever reason. They listen to that voice that says I want to chill and watch tv or i dont feel like it. Others have addictions or mental issues keeping them from growing and learning. I didnt want to be any of that. I wanted to do cool stuff...to have an interesting life...and to work in a creative way.

Hard manual labor growing up taught me that my mind would rot if I chose that kind of path. I wanted something to use my mind. Bored if not...and with boredom comes making trouble or distraction. Gotta turn that into work ethic...no choice. Carl Dobsky was telling me this about the atelier every day. It has to be just uncomfortable enough to make the coolest thing to do be art. If there is a blaring tv or anything else, than there are other options. Options that keep one from not working to reach their goals.

Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. You clearly are not complacent. So do something about it in every free second of your day. All this wandering around doing not a whole lot but thinking isn't getting you much done. It is however, giving you a taste of life many others would never have the guts to explore. Just dont stay down there too long without coming up for air.

Good luck,

Jason

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 574 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Φ, -D_art-, -Zer0-, .pc, 2100, a la bapsi, a.k.a.Brady, Aaron Death, AccidentHappy, Adrian Wilkins, AdrienneRose, aedan9, Ahim, AimBiZ, akkibox, aks9, alesoun, Alex Chow, alffla, aliM, alisn, Alla Primal, AlstonInk, Saraiva, amr-28, ancientdrake, Andantonius, AndreasM, Andrew Sonea, Androxity, AndyGoesWest, Angel Intheuk, Anid Maro, Anne Tang, Anthis, AnthonyV, AphexTweak, Aphotic Phoenix, applecheeks, Aquanoctis, Aragah, ArcZephyer, arghmisfit, Arish, Arshes Nei, Artimatum, artista_solitario, ArtZealot, arvelous, AsaB, Asatira, Ashwinder, ATiGr, aylap, B-Man, B-zilla, Bahamuth, Bai Fan, BAMartin, bara, bartdeco, Beabs, bhanu, BiblioFauxbia, biglu, Bill, bish0p2004, Black Spot, Black Swan, Blackhawk, BlackMita, Blacksunne, bleupencil, BlightedArt, blu01, BluezAce, Blunderguffer, Bones Weep Tedium, Bora, Brashen, Bushido, calamity, Call0ps, calyx, Camilla, carlosranna, cAstAwAyLOVER, CCorsair, central, Cephalopoid, Chance., character, Charmer, Chelzanidas, Cherry_Cheesecake100, Chipsterology, ChisLu, Choob, Christine Lim, Ciaee, cl0aked, clarithium, cmalidore, Coinpurse, ColourInProgress, Conniekat8, conte, Cory Hinman, Costau, Costau D, courtyard, CP_Trump, Craig Paton, Crane, crashMMVII, crimsoneye, crossmirage, crowded, CruShTinbOX, CSJones, Cthogua, currychakra, d-woo, D0ming0, D@niel, Dagoelius, Dan Bird, DanialGlover, Daniel Andrews, DanielC, danielrussel17, DanielsK5, danlambert, Danny_K, Darktwin, DauDau, dave117, Dave_, davi, deadlyhamster, Deadlyhazard, DefiledVisions, Demo, dennis.k, Dethklaus, diamandis, Dian3, Diego, digital_zombie, Dilated, Dile_, DIMAGYAN, dirksteele, Dished, Divine Oblivion, dorian, Dorkthrone, dose, drd, DTP, ducphamduy, E.C.Evil, Earendil, EccoXile, Eclypse, EduardoGaray, Eldritch, Electrictypewriter, element1988, Elyaradine, Emil_J., EmmanuelC, ENNEX, Enydimon, Eofn, epicnoses, ErikHolfelder, Eugie, Eva K, Evil_Clown, Exhno, Fallout, FalyneVarger, Farvus, feral714, Ferdinand Venter, Fillchiam, Fitzin, Flakari Leader, Fobby, Formal, FraserMcT, Fraz, GammaRadiation-X, garboz, Gardain, German-s, Gerulaitis, Ghostbrush, Gof, Gokce, gr4f, Grafguy, Great Distance, GrimRabbit, GriNGo, Grondhammar, growly beast, Gthm/death, gustavofoletto, GweNdZ, hala, HankTol, Happy Camper, Harkins, Helaine, Helioth, hellfiresniper, hemP, Henryc, hitnrun, Hive_minD, HolyBovine, Hookswords, hunchback, Hunin, Ian Miles, Icecold, Ilaekae, Imaginary, Impasto, Incinerated, Inkwash, InsanityVonMike, Iridyse, Isma94, ithuling, J Wilson, jadestinger, JailHouseRock2, Jamie Romoser, jar, Jason Manley, Jason Ross, Jasonwclark, Jaunay, JavierP, Jaytea, Jazz, jcaffoe, Jephyr X, jeremygordon89, JessiBean, Jessibelle, Jie Kageshinzo, Jonas Heirwegh, Jonas_J, Jon_Dog, jordyskateboardy, Jorge Gecov, jouzinka, Jovian M, Jtho, Jushra, Justas, JustinBeckett, K-bot, kab, Kabu, Kagemusha22, Kamikazebob, Kapri, karmiclychee, KarylGilbertson, Kasper_P, Katan, Kea, Keckhs, kennybrann, Kevzip, Keytoast, Kielbasa, kikindaface, Kitsu, Kjesta, Kogaras, kolayamit, kovah, KO_Cam, kRaven, Krilce!, Labrynthine, Lady Chestnut, Lakeland, Lastro, lemming-clone-, Leonor, Lethargicmiss, Lhune, Liam Harvey, Linguini, lionkyu, LJFHutch, Lone Wolf, LORD M, LordLouis, Louise Louisa, love_art, LuckyDevil, Luexo, LumoGraphite, lyon, Lyraina, M-Min, M.A.C., m@., madbot, madster, Maestro Andres, Man Made God, manlybrian, Mark Bot, Marlee., Marlo, Marria, meth, Matija Vuk, MattGamer, Max Challie, Maxine Schacker, mazetta, mcmatz, Me,Myself & Me again, meatfortress, Mebiusu, megaten, MephistonX, Mewkie, Midnight_Oil, MightyApplejacks, MIKETAYLOR, Mikko K, Miles_, Mirana, MJ_Alcazar, MLRoesbery, MM Howard, Moai, Molly, Mon Chat, Monkeydominator, Monsieur-Beefy, Morphidae, mpdpsy, Mr. Smile, Mr. Visions, Mr.Delicious, MrBobMarley, MRJunior, msafs, Mumph, mwillustration, MyioDeSopsia, MyOrangeHat, N-man, Nashek, nathan, NeecHMonkeY, NeonPoweredFirefly, Nettle_Mountain, nevermindjoker, Newman101, Nibras, nicehighs, Nick_Janouris, Niels23, Nightblue, nikhil p, Ninjerk, Noa K, Noah Bradley, noche, Noė, Noia, Nren, Nrx, ObscureMechanism, Ohaeri, OldJake666, Orbital, Orunitier, Overtow, P, P E N Ricklund, p sage, Paracelsus, Partisan, Passhunate, Peetaer, PerinGalitte, PetarB, petitemistress, Pezz, PHATandy, Pierce9, Pigeonkill, Pinecallada, Pixie Trick, Pochifux, Poulpimat, pretentieuse, progressordecay, Psychotime, purplegoat, Queen Nehalania, Quike Garcia, Maledict, Raffix, Raileyh, RaphaelLuebke, rass, rattus, Ray of the Dead, realitychek, REGNIRUTH, reme, Reutte, riotorange, Rist, Roboko, Robolus, rossipoo, ruuhkis, RyanSC, S.F.Batchelor, s.ketch, S.W.ANDER, Saara_, Sady, sala leota, SamC, Samszym, Samuel Gray, sanakris, Sanny, Sara Dean, Sarynroth, Scale, scorpion007, Scott Pederson, SDNolan, Seage, Sebastard, Sebastian C, Senira, Sentinel., serhc, Serpian, sfa, Shahan, shamandalie, Sickbrush, Sidharth Chaturvedi, Silent Messiah, SilverClock, SimonSaysBaka, SirCalypso, Si_Swe, sketcheth, sketchfreak, Slam, SmallPoly, Smarty, Snitchcat, Sno_, sodAp, Sonia Leticia, SM, soulexposed, Spacemanchuck, spawner187, spaztastic, Spirit, spuddytastic, Star Eater, stcytrrs, Straight Edge Ryan, Stricken, strych9ine, Studio Colrouphobia, Sumgai83, Sumisoul, Sundance, supersonic395, Surion, Tadas, Taj, Tangrim, TASmith, tazi, tehChief, tehmeh, Textmode, The-Mentat, The7Artist7, thecitynoise, THEONEMANBANDMAN, theoutside, thesaint, TMG, TNiznet, Tofa, tokszmogus, Tom Fenton, tomi, totali, triggerpigking, Dormema, Trixtar, Trk800, Twan, Twiggy, Umbravita, unknown_epiphany, JuliaMetzger, Vatsel, Vay, vayne108, velderia, VELHO, Velocity Kendall, Ven S, Victor B, Vink, Visionspring, Vorace, Vritra, VulgarDragon, Vulgar`, Vulturius, vzheng, Wassim, WeAreLegion, Wellow, whisper_wm, Wilstrong, Windmaker, witcrack, witek, XanaChama, Xaya, Xcarbon, xinhai, Yakov, Yang87, Yautja892, Yceru, yvescy, zalxemptyx, zappa1one, Zarkizon, zenichi, ZenzybaR, zeo-x, Zerk, zimfin, Zirngibism, Zord, Zyhael, [JUiCE], ~Faust~, ~KJK~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the most humbling advice I got to read.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SO inspiring. Thank you Jason and thank you Elwell for reposting.

This needs to be stickied and sent to everyone who posts on how bored or unmotivated or uninspired they are. I know I needed this. So easy to wallow in self pity and laziness, we forget how blessed and privileged we actually are, and how much potential all of us have.

Thank you.

Last edited by Iridyse; December 11th, 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i love hearing the back stories of artist, it gives you hope that someday you can make it to because they started from pretty much the same place most of us are now.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Humbling indeed. I definately need to re assess my priorities.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Kamikazebob is offline [18:44] mr_pickles: Boob Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have this sudden urge to just shake Jason's hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RyerOrdStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very humbling read, thanks for posting this for all the read Elwell.

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    that a a major kick in my nuts.... woahhhh
    thank ye sirs.

Straight Edge Ryan is offline much less of a douchebag in person, I promise Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A fine example of the possibilities that come with tenacity

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In a recent Interview with SiDEBAR (that i've listened to a million time) Jason mentioned something about being independent and on his own and i always wondered what he meant and wished he would've elaborated on it more. Thanks for the repost Elwell.
    Just think people, this was before the internet REALLY kicked off an we became able to grab information and gather resources in an instant. There's no excuse not to be able to teach yourself and grow as an artist independently. Everything and everyone is virtually at your fingertips.

[

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Taj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks (Elwell and Jason), that was epic, glad I didn't miss it. So who's directing the movie?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, where did my balls go

Hehe, reading such a thing is both disheartening and inspiring at the same time... to look back and realize how much time was wasted, and to look forward and pledge to not waste any more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Geez. I'm 25 now and I haven't been through even half of that life experience. Makes me feel totally unproductive even though I do my best. Thanks for inspiration.

Last edited by Farvus; December 12th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need to set new goals... before... turning to stone.. arh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It starts today people, i go straight from here to draw some weak points of mine, where will you go?

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Oh man, where did my balls go
    Indeed.... Indeed. Thank you Jason and Elwell.

Dave_ is offline Fighting dwarves with keytars. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there something balls adore, so i can lure them back out yet ><.

*note to self: quick your Mofo'ing slacking!

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the best bits of inspiration I'd seen for awhile. This is better than caffeine.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cmalidore View Post
    This is one of the best bits of inspiration I'd seen for awhile. This is better than caffeine.
    I'm blowing through sketchbook pages. Manley needs to say things more often.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you convienently forgot to mention that whole training of foreign troops thing.
    evidence:

haha just kidding. Good story man is inspiring to read. Especially in these times in the economy.

Last edited by Blahm; December 12th, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Blahm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I come from a very comfortable family background. Not rich or spoiled, but very comfortable. I'm loved for who I am. The advantage of not being accepted for who you are is that you work for it. I will not stagnate.

I've bookmarked this thread for future humbling and motivation. Thank you Jason, Tristan.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Jason! Very inspiring story - keep on trucking...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally Posted by Jason Manley:
    Chose friends who worked on art or learning always. Ignored the time wasting folk who never will amount to anything other than regular.
    Hold on, how does this work in terms of burning bridges?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think he was talking about art people that are impossible to deal with and non art people who will never amount to anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know you hear this and receive a lot of praise for your work and CA but I honestly mean this. This is not an asspat... I wish I could say this to your face. I honestly feel a little ashamed of myself for how stupid and spoiled I have been.

You just changed my life...

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, thank you for sharing, and inspiring us all. Thanks also for making this site and bringing us all together. America in general is not a very artistic place. There are a few centers for the arts, but they're few and far between. Historically, I'd say at least half of American artists have studied and/or worked in Europe or other foreign locales. It's very difficult to get a good art education here, and the service your provide here through the site and DVD's to address that is extremely valuable. If you're not in History of Art Ed books now, you probably will be in future revisions.

Thank You.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man that was beautiful.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 70