Magazine covers as reference
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Magazine covers as reference

Hybrid View

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Talking Magazine covers as reference

I was looking at a mag with a woman on its cover while waiting for my dinner to finish in the microwave. For Shits 'n' giggles I decided to map out the skeletal form over it.

Illustrators should NEVER use a CS3 (because you nkow they used it) manipulated magazine cover to get reference. The length of her stomach was really hyper exaggerated from the ribcage to pelvis. I could tell it was PS'd by the edges of the figure, mostly at the waist.

I see a lot of newer illustrators do point for point from ref like that and it's almost like learning the wrong habits of another artist and thinking its correct.

Anyone else think it's a mistake to copy a mag for a pose, point for point mind you, not for general pose ref.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah magazines suck. If you need to work from photos try to take your own, or at use ones that aren't likely to be heavily manipulated. Sadly the bigger the magazine and bigger the star, the more likely they'll retouch it until it's a weird distorted mess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe the models are models for a reason.. they have 9 heads high count... i think like victoria secret models

i think average girls look ugly in illustrations

i like to buy fashion mags and victoria secret catalots just to draw them.. so i see nothing wrong with them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by riceface View Post
    i think average girls look ugly in illustrations
    And I think misogynists are ugly no matter what their physical characteristics, but you still somehow think you're entitled to be that way, so why shouldn't "ugly" girls be entitled to feature in illustrations and on magazine covers? They're less likely to fuck people up the way you are, so they're double entitled.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Using magazines for anatomy reference is the absolute worst idea ever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beyond the point that most models are exceptionally strange looking. Alien facial features, gangly, and often too skinny. Don't get me wrong, I'm tiny myself, but girls that are 6' tall should NOT have arms and legs smaller than me, with bony legs and sternums poking through. D: Models outside of Photoshop and good lighting are usually pretty terrifying to look at.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah...

I think at this point we should all probably just assume that all riceface's posts will be in some way offensive and let it go at that

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aren't most comic book girls, inspired by models? I always thought all super hero girls are based of swimsuit models...

and micheal turners girls all look like dennis richards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad comic book girl designs, sure. What do they base their male super heroes on...Mr. Universe? Michael Turner...yeesh. Not a fan at all--especially when an artist draws the same chick for every character he (or she) draws.

Comic book super heroes (of the traditional type, anyway) are usually "ideals." They are definitely exaggerated, but you should learn from real bodies, not someone else's silicone and photoshop version of a "body." Any pro can tell when you've studied from nothing but magazines--there's an obvious, bad difference. :/

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And covers don't show skeletal markers for the person viewing it. If said person has no prior training in anatomy, they'll learn bad habits from the gitty-up.

And runway models..........................ew. built like very tall boys. *shivers*

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.