Sketchbook: Oh No they've got me luck charms

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oh No they've got me luck charms

UPDATED WEEKLY.... most of the time

Ahh the joys of imacs so nice...... so um better stuff is towards the back.....waaaaay waaaay waaaay back Edit: updated..... doing a master study of the one and only Jason Chan. HE'S SO AWESOME!!!!!Attachment 662137

Similar Threads
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by spaztastic; May 26th, 2009 at 01:48 AM.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more!

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

stuff

Some more recent pics

Last edited by spaztastic; December 26th, 2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: pictures were too big
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see that you are trying different styles yet the presence of anime love is apparent.
    I can say this with certain amount of pride because I also came from an anime background myself.
    As long as you know what's out there and how to use your talent, anime is just another great starting point.

Good luck and see you around spaztastic!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to davekang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And some more

This one includes my first ever CHOW...it didn't win but I still had fun doing it.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More stuff

eh baby ...added some contrast

Last edited by spaztastic; July 6th, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and so here are some of my eh..... I need work!

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dig yall sb /the chow is gonzo cant wait fo some mo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice stuff so far. You will have to drop the anime, most people think it's a shortcut to successful drawings, but they forget that pros in anime had to do hours of anatomy and perspective study and then put their abilities into 'stylized' art (most people = the majority of deviantart...usually 12 years olds haha). I wanna see studies and lots of it See you around

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Hey nice stuff so far. You will have to drop the anime, most people think it's a shortcut to successful drawings, but they forget that pros in anime had to do hours of anatomy and perspective study and then put their abilities into 'stylized' art (most people = the majority of deviantart...usually 12 years olds haha). I wanna see studies and lots of it See you around
    yeah I know. only problem is though I started learning anime and manga style before the basics. I had been doing Anime styles for the past 6 years. It
    's gonna take a little bit of time and effort to get back into classical art. I am however dedicated to doing that, i just don't have as much as i would like to dedicate. Being a mother kinda takes a lot of time. I have a lot more art that i haven't uploaded. Most of it is in the classical styles. If I do retain any anime presence in my art it will style itself after Yoshitaka Amano such great artist and one of my top 5 faves. Thanks for the post though I really appreciate you taking the time to drop by and visit. stop by again, i hope to get more advice.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah like SamC said I think it's essential for anyone to learn the fundamentals before they venture into a style, as you use those basics as building blocks and a structure for your style to grow from.

The eye in your last post is nice, but the man right next to it is very flat. Practice with structuring the face, and I guess the best advice I can give is to work from inside out, as your pieces are very flat. The woman sitting on Santa's lap for example, her arm comes to an abrupt stop and doesn't show any volume. Same with her armpit.

With some good foundational practice though, your stuff will be dope in no time, as your coloring is pretty nice. Check out some Burne Hogarthe or Glenn Vilppu's work to find out how to make your pieces not so stiff.

Keep it up man.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to apacalyrical For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by apacalyrical View Post
    The eye in your last post is nice, but the man right next to it is very flat.
    I'm having a horribly hard time understanding the whole depth perspective issues, it's almost like my eyes don't want to pick up the depth and shadows at all. but I will definitely practice on those

Practice with structuring the face, and I guess the best advice I can give is to work from inside out, as your pieces are very flat. The woman sitting on Santa's lap for example, her arm comes to an abrupt stop and doesn't show any volume. Same with her armpit.
    I see what you mean with her, I tend to do better on faces than body's, although hers is really not proportional at all. I will fiddle around with the shading and see what I can do to make it less flat, for her arm I really didn't have any time to fix it, but I can work on that also. As far as all my images being pretty flat I would have to agree. I started in the wrong style to start off with, I am having to back track quite a bit so crits are very welcomed and appreciated.

Also if any one feels compelled to be my mentor I would dearly love it.

With some good foundational practice though, your stuff will be dope in no time, as your coloring is pretty nice. Check out some Burne Hogarthe or Glenn Vilppu's work to find out how to make your pieces not so stiff.
    Keep it up man.
    Thanks for that I will have to check them out. 99% of my troubles are because I am horrible at time management...as in not allotting time for my art everyday... I am an at home mom so it's not always easy to get a spare moment... if I can manage my time better I can fix alot.

Stay tuned to help kick my butt to better artdom

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, as requested, here we go

I was about to say you should put digital aside until I saw the baby eye pic and the woman on santa. This may not be exactly what you want to hear, but I don't think you have any huge barriers in your way: mileage is what you need.

But I guess "do more studies" isn't exactly much of a suggestion on its own (I won't be getting off that easy ) so here's some specific things I see and things you can try.

So first off: anatomy take these:

Trunk Front
    Trunk Back
    Trunk interior
    Movements of the trunk 1
    Movements of the trunk 2
    Movements of the shoulder joint
    Arm 1
    Arm2
    Arm3
    Arm4
    Movements of the arm 1
    Movements of the arm 2
    Leg 1
    Leg 2
    Leg 3
    Leg 4
    Movements of the leg
    Full Body

And draw them out as accurately as you can. THEN after you're done some of those, draw plenty of nude figures. Try to connect the dots, look for muscles in your nude models, try to see how certain muscles look like when covered up by skin. It took me a while to realize this, but drawing perfectly defined muscles as if there is no skin on them looks completely unnatural. We learn muscles so we can properly hide them. This combo of muscle drawings and nudies helped me more than anything, and since people are the foundation of most images, this is a good 'first assignment.'

here are some extra bits of info for figure drawing, Andrew Loomis books (especially Figure Drawing for all it's Worth and Drawing the Head and Hands) and George Bridgman's complete guide to life drawing. Start with loomis is my advice.
    ----------

That should keep you occupied and not only working on anatomy, but training up your observational skills as well. BUT I noticed in one of those women's heads things looked a bit skewed. First off, flip your images regularly to spot early skewing signs:

Name:  attachment-1adawd.jpg
Views: 3226
Size:  84.6 KB

Second, this is most likely inaccurate observation. SO, here's a quick guide on how to measure with your eyes (or at least, the weird things I see in my head)

You're also better at depicting form than you think you are. There are some flat bits for sure, but you're thinking in terms of planes (at least, I think you are ) Here's a great link that was passed on to me recently and this process, or something like it, during your study sessions might really help.

Specific critique for the baby and man: too much brightness. Very hard to see form when everything is so bright, but also too much white in illustrations, photos, whatever, is unappealing: we see lots of white or black as flat voids that seem to have something missing. Try to get rich tones into your drawings.

Finally, as for time to do art... well, everyone learns at different rates. I don't do a study a day, but I used to. Some even say a single study a day isn't enough, but people keep saying "OMFG great progress" to me so I don't know what to think. The general rule is: Do as much as is needed for yourself. If you need more time to work on art, work more. If you're flying through it though, attaining unprecedented levels of improvement, don't necessarily slow down The point is you'll usually know when you need to be doing more. When I hit my blitz a while back, when I first drew all those muscle diagrams and nudes, I came home from my summer job, ate, did art for an hour until my food settled, worked out, then kept drawing for another few hours. Having that routine really helped me, because there was no real reason to procrastinate in my mind, it was just part of the routine and everything fit nicely together. Nowadays though I can't force myself like I used to. You really have to find your own groove as everyone works differently.

Anyways I hope that was all useful. If you have any questions or other requests don' hesitate to pm me

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took my crap sketch out of your lovely sketchbook....

The picture turned out great! I'm still amazed by the detail in the faces and feet. Great job!

Last edited by shannanigan; January 6th, 2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Removed Sketch

21. The Following User Says Thank You to shannanigan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omfg that is ... disturbing
    its like Coca Cola commercials back from the old days, but somewhat made .. evil ! I dont have anything to say in terms of technique since Im a noob but Iam a personal fan of the style here. Its so evil
    I know most of the people here will push you to draw "correct" figures and anathomic muscles and all, but hell, I think its the skewed, fucked up version that I like better.
    Really , and Im not a kind of man that calls a piece of shit framed and hooked up in a broadway gallery - art. I mean, art has to be something, not like blue lines on red squares that hang on a wall in my town and is called "Artistic search of form".

Bottom line here is - I love the style , as for me - dont change anything but the things that Jason Rainville said about the brightness.

BUT,
    making studies and all that would most propably improove your thinking... There is a difference between drawing skewed stuff just because you choose to do it as your style, and doing it because you cant draw it correctly.

Keep on drawing !

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 824 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi there spaz;
    some very nice stuff going on here. but there's still a lot to be fixed in the bending of limbs mostly; and in the hands. make m bigger mostly and add that wrist joint; not just a corner, but a shape. same goes for the elbow too I guess. like with the santa girl, where her elbow should jut out over her head. but its missing.
    also, santa's back foot should rest higher up. so its actually behind the girls foot. still, some very smooth and detailed work.
    altough, perhaps doing fast scetches might help you along more. and when you have a sketch mirror it to look for distortions.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awww shanniangan you don't have crap sketches, it was very helpful actually so thank you again for taking the time to do a PO.

Lakeland thank you so much for the support and kind words. I really need to do anatomy studies more, I have a skewed way of seeing things that makes them just every so slightly off, not that I try to draw that way. It just happens. I am trying to incorporate anime and a little bit of manga into my style so we shall see what happens with that.

Ashess
    You are so very right about the joints, I have to say my last CHOW is a marked improvement as far as color and depth go, and to some extent anatomy, although Venger showed me the error of my ways, which was much appreciated. . Yes I did make the girl smaller on purpose although it just made the pic look off balanced rather than get my point across.
    I'll have to try the fast sketches, I end up getting caught in the details before I ensure it's anatomically accurate. So thank you for that suggestion.

on a side note, I should probably learn the grey scale for value and lighting before I make any more colored pieces, I just don't want to rely to heavily on it.

well thanks for the great tips everybody

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is lookin good spaz, not really much to say except i totally agree with Jason. I think u dont have any barriers all u need is more studies, to develop those skills already present. Now its just a matter of time to see your next big update
    Thanks for lettin me in the sketch group!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Me,Myself & Me again For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how you explore so many different styles. You have a really good eye for detail too.

With the red-headed woman, I can see you were experimenting with a less cookie-cutter skin tone. Trying for something other that "peach" (because skin is so many colors, and rarely perfectly peach). That is awesome. But it's not quite right still. Some maroons and golds would really give it more life in places. Love her hair to death though.

Ever think of doing a master copy of someone known for their gorgeous skin? I think you'd really be able to pull off a Bouguereau copy well. And I think you might have fun doing it....

Last edited by PuppyKitten; January 10th, 2009 at 01:38 AM.
    'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love Bouguereau's work it is AMAZING!!! I will definitely look into copying his work. man I would love to get that good, his ability to render the human form is phenomenal I mean outstanding. Good Golly Miss Molly I mean frick he is good. If I could get half as good I would be happier than sailor in a bar. Thank you sooo much Puppy for recommending him.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Spaz, its been over 2 weeks since your last update, cmon ! draw girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I know
    I did some Loomis last night, now I just have to take some photos of them. Ok I'll post them today Just for you Lakeland.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some recent stuff.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and some more stuff from a few months ago.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more stuff from a few months ago... I know I need to get some new stuff up here...

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and some more...

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more...I'll post some new stuff later. I have to get my lazy butt to draw some new studies, I'll probably do that tonight.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As you all can see i like to think I can draw fashions...hehehe....some of that is from a few years ago, dumkoff forgot to name the files properly so they are now mixed up....alas oh well. I hope you enjoy I will have some new stuff up shortly.

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Spaztastic.

You're stuff is actually pretty good. I can't really add anything to the great job Jason did. So, I'll just say I really like how you do faces.

Keep practicing, and you'll get there!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to MJ_Alcazar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missy, those fashion pieces have style to burn.

You're so damn versatile it eats me up.

And yeah Bouguereau is pretty much my favorite (or at least in my top three, depending on my mood). I'm really glad you dig him.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

42. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2