get mad at urself for using photoshop tricks?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

get mad at urself for using photoshop tricks?

i hate it when i have to resort to using photoshop tricks to make my drawings look better... i wish i can just see the colors

dont u guys get pissed for doing that? or sometimes accidents that make it look better...

wish i didnt' have to rely on tricks and get pissed at myself.

stupid blending modes alwasy makes things look better!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it pisses you off so much, then don't do it.

And there's nothing wrong in using blending modes. That's like saying if you're painting traditionally you have to go alla prima, because layering with washes is cheating. It's not, it's just a different technique.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    technology is there to be used....
    Stop feeling guilty dammit.
    Just think the first there were people were drawing with charcoal...and somebody invented colors to paint in pigment or whatever...
    if they had said...i hate to use those colors cuz they make my art look better..I should be able to make art look good in just charcoal.
    Being technically is good, but being able to make aestheticaly appealing art easily is not a bad thing.
    Just because somethings easy doesnt mean its bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny how things work in series in the discusion forums...

First off, if you make a painting that has big value hierarchy or composition issues for instance, no trick in ps will make it look better, at best it'll make it look less worse (and its quite different)...

As far as im concerned i find its pity that sometimes, in ps, i have to move something using the lasso tool to fix some drawing inaccuracy but yet again it means that in the first place i was able to see that something looked off wich is not to be taken for granted.
    Also, most digital artists whose work i enjoy alot could do very nice stuff in oher mediums like oils or else if they took the time to learn how to use this new medium because the medium is not the core of the beauty of their artwork imo.
    At last, it is my most sincere belief that people who are biased against digital painting, acrylics, pastel painting, watercolors on toilet paper, crayon, gimp, etc, should be dismembered n' fed with their own limbs or be forced to bathe with Vincent Macdoom (depending on wich you think is worse)...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah... and to people here im not askin for help in drawing or whatever just a dicussion...

anyways, i drew a female fighter in photoshop with a tablet... horizontal flipped it. and it looked like shit, thought i fixed it... turns out the who drawing is skewed badly. so i had to lasso it and skew it back into place

point is... jesus christ what kind of a sorry ass artist am i to have mest up that bad. its like hey! im suppose to see it and draw it correctly in the first place... shows me that i suck, beczue if it was pencil i'd be screwed

another thing. i painted up the skin.... was satisfied.. did some blending modes and said holy shit that looks better... the way i see it.. if i was as good as i thought i was... i should have picked out the right colors in the first place!

and yes lasso'ing a nose or an eye even pisses me off . lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you didn't have Photoshop, you would just be checking the flip view with a lightbox, drawing on the back and adjusting things using tracing paper. If you needed to change a color, you'd just use washes. Photoshop makes some things faster, but that does not equate to cheating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can't sleep...

again this isn't about using photoshop as cheating or feeling guilty or any of that crap

its about kicking urself in the ass when u mess up and resort to doing things like lasso and color correction, when u should have been a good enough artist to do it right in the first place

nvm someone lock this thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's called learning. It'll stop when you're dead.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well. I used to think this way too.
    However many of the Photoshop tricks exist in natural media just like Mirana mentioned. Multiply blending mode works like watercolor or markers. Color, overlay or soft light works a bit like glazing technique. For flip horizontal you have mirror or lightbox and when designing stuff in layers you can use tracing paper.
    If you really want to reduce the amount of changes then practice more with traditional media. At the same time when drawing things you shouldn't expect do draw perfect idea at the first try. It's about making choices and you can't do it if you have blank piece of paper or Photoshop canvas.

EDIT: I just forgot to add that Photoshop doesn't have color mixing like Corel Painter or traditional media. You need to use some tricks like overlay and special brushes to add some variety and texture. Otherwise it looks too plastic and sterile.

Last edited by Farvus; December 10th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by riceface View Post
    nvm someone lock this thread
    Why? I thought you wanted a discussion...

About your point on being accurate in the first place i think it depends.
    First i think it still does have to do with some sort of guilt as many traditional mediums allow correction and no one ever complains about it, photoshop is just more radical and clean in doing that.

Also i think that it depends on what you're painting.
    If you're going to paint an image without reference from scratch it will need a lot of thumbnail roughs, refinement, construction, flips and you must admit photoshop and all its bunch of tools is awesome for those kinds of experimentations.
    However if youre painting some drapery from life then the use of lasso tool, copy paste etc is rather uncalled for, sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Using Photoshop's features is hella fun, but I usually do 'em as a last step. I would want my whole drawing and painting to work first before adding the final touches and effects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get mad only if I have to use them for 98239823989283 hours (that usually tells me my piece sucks a big load of ass). I agree with Farvus that the "tricks" mimic what I would do traditionally anyways, and I'll get mad if I spend 98239823989283 hours, for example, glazing the same spot too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My philosophy is it's the end result that matters. If you fix it and in the end have a great piece, then job well done. No one else has to know that your first drawing sucked. Sure, get pissed at yourself for not being better, but if you catch the errors and fix them then you've done better than artists who refuse to use every tool at their disposal. Odds are your next drawing you'll pay extra attention and make an even better drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, I don't. If you're doing that, your picture wasn't good in the first place, and it's not because you're using PS or any other computer program.

Draw more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Opilione said, the solution is to draw draw draw more.

If you skew then check your sketches in the mirror more often. Check them before you get so far along in the process. Practice will help you reduce the skewing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whats everyones feelings on the eyedropper tool
    i try to cut down on this as much as possible
    but sometimes i just have to use it to get the right
    colors and saturation if im working from some sort of refrence
    most of the time i just use them to pull out dificult colors to mix in
    painter or PS but i allways feel like its a crutch, although im in highschool
    and no longer am able to study things like color theory, because i have lotsof pieces due for AP, i feel like college corses in color theory will help

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looky here guys, its not the same as painting, i dont care what technique u use.

photoshop has made it infinately more easier to do things where u can't even compare it. i wouldn't even be coloring if it wasn't for PS

things like overlay and screen in phtoshop can be undood, can u do that with paint? no.

so stop trying to compare it with real painting as if it was comparable.

ahhh sweet eyedropper, another example how the mediums cannot be prepared. i say abuse the hell out of it, everyone else seems too. i can't live without it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if you dont like doing something , you have the option to NOT DO IT.
    End of discussion????

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I that case try oil paints or watercolor. These are much harder techniques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    whats everyones feelings on the eyedropper tool
    It's extremely useful. I normally save it for later in the painting's developement though. I block in the entire painting, and once I have the major colors and values in place I'll start picking colors from the image as a time saver. This helps insure the colors are all working together and in the same range that you set up. I'll still add in new colors as needed, but at a certain point everything I need is already on the canvas.

I could also see it being used as a good learning tool when used correctly. Correctly in this sense is not to pick the color and then paint with it, but use it as an aid to identify what is going on and expand your knowledge of color theory. For example, you have a photo you are working from and you just can't match that certain red. You color pick it to isolate the color and only then can you see it's actually not red at all but a warm grey that only looks red because of the colors around it. How you see a color is very dependant on the colors around it, so sometimes it's useful to take the color out of context to really understand what you are seeing. With time you start to understand color well enough that you need to do that less and less, but it's still a big help, as long as you take the time to understand why you saw the color wrong in the first place.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.