Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My very first sketchbook

Thanks

My very first sketchbook

Hey everyone!
    Well, I am totally new to this site, so I hope I am posting my sketchbook in the right place......if not let me know.
    I am a pencil artist, and do not understand photoshop, or painter, yet I do have both. I am here to learn, (I really want to know how to color, and use photoshop, and painter, so if you have any links to good forums, video's etc...let me know please!)
    ALL my work is simple, (most unfinished) and just in pencils, or ink. If they have color, they were done with brushes, and ink.....except a few that I tried to do with photoshop, and those were just backgrounds.
    I have never taken any classes, and I have been drawing since birth basically. I lost inspiration a few years ago, and have just now started to get back into drawing.
    I want to you all to be brutally honest in critique. I am a big boy, and can handle it. I know all my drawings have flaws, yet once in a while, those flaws are what I like most.
    So, again, if you have any links for tutorials for photoshop/ painter (video, written, images, etc..), and/or critique to give me, I appreciate it!

Now without further jibber jabber.....my sketches.

Attachment 537496
    This I did for my wife, she needed a skull for a mock CD cover she was making in her school. pencil then inked.

Attachment 537525
    Here is the backside to the mock CD cover....pencil, then inked

Attachment 537497
    I drew this with pencil for a friend......never finished the background though

Attachment 537499
    This....well what can I say, I like the female body =D...done in pencil.

Attachment 537504
    Got bored during the holidays one year after 9/11 and figured Santa has to go through security checks as well.....done in pencil, then inked

Attachment 537505
    Again.....female body, but I tried to color it with inks....I found out I am not much for hand coloring things.

Attachment 537507
    Got real bored one day, and drew this entirely with ink.....nothing fancy, but I liked it.

Attachment 537508
    Well, I still haven't finished this one, and started it over 8 years ago. I know, I know....my perspective is WAY off. I actually was intending this so it would make the robots seem larger, but I think it may have got outta hand....done in pencil.

Attachment 537511
    I drew this a long time ago, and don't even have the original any more....I wish I did. You see the background? That was one of my first experiences with digital art. I tried to make the background look blurry (out of focus) and did a HORRIBLE job. However, this is the only scanned version of this picture I can find......hence wishing I still had the original for a clean scan without digital manipulation......I hope I can find the original scan somewhere on an old disk, or hard drive.....done in pencil

Well, that is it for now. I do have lots more drawings....most are in real early stages, or in storage somewhere. I will try to post more stuff sometime soon. Maybe I can finish some of the current ones I am working on.
    Hit me where I am weakest, so that I may grow stronger. ~Me

Check out my Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Excellent stuff. I really like the way you are playing with composition in the robot one and the Santa one. Also the last frog is a very nice pencil rendering, you've established a highlight, middle tone, and shadow. Keep up the good work and draw draw draw.. looking good!!!!
    Wesley Matthew Phillip Eggebrecht
    Blog - http://www.artbywesley.com/
    Portfolio - WesleyEggebrecht.com
    wesleye17@gmail.com

**CA Sketchbook**

4. The Following User Says Thank You to weggebrecht For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weggebrecht View Post
    Excellent stuff. I really like the way you are playing with composition in the robot one and the Santa one. Also the last frog is a very nice pencil rendering, you've established a highlight, middle tone, and shadow. Keep up the good work and draw draw draw.. looking good!!!!
    Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliments! It makes a guy feel good =D

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey dude, nice sketchbook, I love the first frog, nice shading, and the composition of rabaot scene is great ! keep it up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walid D View Post
    Hey dude, nice sketchbook, I love the first frog, nice shading, and the composition of rabaot scene is great ! keep it up
    Thank you very much!

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    So when are we going to get an update? You got some good stuff here and my personal favorite is the one with Giant robots crushing buildings. I know you refer to the off perspective but as a viewer I don't even notice it because I'm drawn to the giant robots and the drama that you have created with the lighting. That image is also the closest to being a finished illustration.

What kind of Critiques / advice are you looking for specifically? Without having more to go on ( art goals) I'd suggest that you keep practicing and focus on the basica lke anatomy and form. One can NEVER get enough practice at this.

Speaking of which, time for me to get back to work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey nice stuff you got there really like the robot one, only reason i really noticed the perspective thing is because you commented on it =P
    anyway keep updating your work is awesome
    Please take a quick look and throw some feedback my way, would be much appreciated
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147652

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iceshard92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 917 Posts
    i really dig that robot ink piece, even if it's not finished.
    the pelvises and bellies of your females are spot-on. but orange boobs...wut.

keep posting, i'd love to see your art in the future, you're stuff's great!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack18 View Post
    So when are we going to get an update? You got some good stuff here and my personal favorite is the one with Giant robots crushing buildings. I know you refer to the off perspective but as a viewer I don't even notice it because I'm drawn to the giant robots and the drama that you have created with the lighting. That image is also the closest to being a finished illustration.

What kind of Critiques / advice are you looking for specifically? Without having more to go on ( art goals) I'd suggest that you keep practicing and focus on the basica lke anatomy and form. One can NEVER get enough practice at this.

Speaking of which, time for me to get back to work!
    First off, I would like to thank you, and sorry for the late reply. I am going to post a few unfinished (like most of my art) drawings up here. I am looking for any and all critique I can get. I want you all to be hard on me also...in a friendly way of course =D, but I want to know where my weaknesses are, so I can fix them, or at least work on them.
    Anyway, thanks again!

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iceshard92 View Post
    hey nice stuff you got there really like the robot one, only reason i really noticed the perspective thing is because you commented on it =P
    anyway keep updating your work is awesome
    Thank you very much! I will be updating in a few minutes...if I can figure out how =D

Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    i really dig that robot ink piece, even if it's not finished.
    the pelvises and bellies of your females are spot-on. but orange boobs...wut.

keep posting, i'd love to see your art in the future, you're stuff's great!
    HAHAHA, yeah I know I need to work on the boobs a bit. Anyway, thank you for the critique, and the compliments!

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    the robot piece is great, the frog shows decent shadingskills and the comic-like pieces are adorable!
    a damn smooth start!

greets, ben

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carg0re For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Some things I have been working on in the past few days

Attachment 568675
    This one is a really rough sketch I did the other night. A reference was used. Done in pencil.

Attachment 568676
    This was done a while back. I never did finish it, because I didn't really know where to go with it. I was going to attempt to color it with Photoshop, but realized......I have no idea how to even use photoshop for coloring =D....so I left it as is.

Critique is very welcome......so are compliments =D
    Last edited by Americandodo; January 19th, 2009 at 04:00 AM.

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carg0re View Post
    the robot piece is great, the frog shows decent shadingskills and the comic-like pieces are adorable!
    a damn smooth start!

greets, ben

Thank you very much! I hope to add a few more in the next few days if I get the time. I really appreciate the compliments!

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast