Sketchbook: My very first sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My very first sketchbook

Hey everyone!
    Well, I am totally new to this site, so I hope I am posting my sketchbook in the right place......if not let me know.
    I am a pencil artist, and do not understand photoshop, or painter, yet I do have both. I am here to learn, (I really want to know how to color, and use photoshop, and painter, so if you have any links to good forums, video's etc...let me know please!)
    ALL my work is simple, (most unfinished) and just in pencils, or ink. If they have color, they were done with brushes, and ink.....except a few that I tried to do with photoshop, and those were just backgrounds.
    I have never taken any classes, and I have been drawing since birth basically. I lost inspiration a few years ago, and have just now started to get back into drawing.
    I want to you all to be brutally honest in critique. I am a big boy, and can handle it. I know all my drawings have flaws, yet once in a while, those flaws are what I like most.
    So, again, if you have any links for tutorials for photoshop/ painter (video, written, images, etc..), and/or critique to give me, I appreciate it!

Now without further jibber jabber.....my sketches.

Name:  fallen_king_cleaned.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  72.6 KB
    This I did for my wife, she needed a skull for a mock CD cover she was making in her school. pencil then inked.

Name:  Fallen_King_2_by_americandodo.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  51.7 KB
    Here is the backside to the mock CD cover....pencil, then inked

Name:  tree_frog_on_shroom_by_americandodo small.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  154.5 KB
    I drew this with pencil for a friend......never finished the background though

Name:  nude_by_americandodo small.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  151.0 KB
    This....well what can I say, I like the female body =D...done in pencil.

Name:  HO__HO__OHHHH_by_americandodo small.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  177.8 KB
    Got bored during the holidays one year after 9/11 and figured Santa has to go through security checks as well.....done in pencil, then inked

Name:  show_nothing_by_americandodo small.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  145.9 KB
    Again.....female body, but I tried to color it with inks....I found out I am not much for hand coloring things.

Name:  zombie_by_americandodo small.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  174.2 KB
    Got real bored one day, and drew this entirely with ink.....nothing fancy, but I liked it.

Name:  giant_encounter_by_americandodo.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  162.9 KB
    Well, I still haven't finished this one, and started it over 8 years ago. I know, I know....my perspective is WAY off. I actually was intending this so it would make the robots seem larger, but I think it may have got outta hand....done in pencil.

Name:  frog_by_americandodo small.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  179.1 KB
    I drew this a long time ago, and don't even have the original any more....I wish I did. You see the background? That was one of my first experiences with digital art. I tried to make the background look blurry (out of focus) and did a HORRIBLE job. However, this is the only scanned version of this picture I can find......hence wishing I still had the original for a clean scan without digital manipulation......I hope I can find the original scan somewhere on an old disk, or hard drive.....done in pencil

Well, that is it for now. I do have lots more drawings....most are in real early stages, or in storage somewhere. I will try to post more stuff sometime soon. Maybe I can finish some of the current ones I am working on.

Hit me where I am weakest, so that I may grow stronger. ~Me

Check out my Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent stuff. I really like the way you are playing with composition in the robot one and the Santa one. Also the last frog is a very nice pencil rendering, you've established a highlight, middle tone, and shadow. Keep up the good work and draw draw draw.. looking good!!!!

Wesley Matthew Phillip Eggebrecht
    Blog - http://www.artbywesley.com/
    Portfolio - WesleyEggebrecht.com
    wesleye17@gmail.com

**CA Sketchbook**

4. The Following User Says Thank You to weggebrecht For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by weggebrecht View Post
    Excellent stuff. I really like the way you are playing with composition in the robot one and the Santa one. Also the last frog is a very nice pencil rendering, you've established a highlight, middle tone, and shadow. Keep up the good work and draw draw draw.. looking good!!!!
    Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliments! It makes a guy feel good =D

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, nice sketchbook, I love the first frog, nice shading, and the composition of rabaot scene is great ! keep it up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Walid D View Post
    Hey dude, nice sketchbook, I love the first frog, nice shading, and the composition of rabaot scene is great ! keep it up
    Thank you very much!

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So when are we going to get an update? You got some good stuff here and my personal favorite is the one with Giant robots crushing buildings. I know you refer to the off perspective but as a viewer I don't even notice it because I'm drawn to the giant robots and the drama that you have created with the lighting. That image is also the closest to being a finished illustration.

What kind of Critiques / advice are you looking for specifically? Without having more to go on ( art goals) I'd suggest that you keep practicing and focus on the basica lke anatomy and form. One can NEVER get enough practice at this.

Speaking of which, time for me to get back to work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice stuff you got there really like the robot one, only reason i really noticed the perspective thing is because you commented on it =P
    anyway keep updating your work is awesome

Please take a quick look and throw some feedback my way, would be much appreciated
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147652

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iceshard92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 910 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i really dig that robot ink piece, even if it's not finished.
    the pelvises and bellies of your females are spot-on. but orange boobs...wut.

keep posting, i'd love to see your art in the future, you're stuff's great!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljack18 View Post
    So when are we going to get an update? You got some good stuff here and my personal favorite is the one with Giant robots crushing buildings. I know you refer to the off perspective but as a viewer I don't even notice it because I'm drawn to the giant robots and the drama that you have created with the lighting. That image is also the closest to being a finished illustration.

What kind of Critiques / advice are you looking for specifically? Without having more to go on ( art goals) I'd suggest that you keep practicing and focus on the basica lke anatomy and form. One can NEVER get enough practice at this.

Speaking of which, time for me to get back to work!
    First off, I would like to thank you, and sorry for the late reply. I am going to post a few unfinished (like most of my art) drawings up here. I am looking for any and all critique I can get. I want you all to be hard on me also...in a friendly way of course =D, but I want to know where my weaknesses are, so I can fix them, or at least work on them.
    Anyway, thanks again!

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by iceshard92 View Post
    hey nice stuff you got there really like the robot one, only reason i really noticed the perspective thing is because you commented on it =P
    anyway keep updating your work is awesome
    Thank you very much! I will be updating in a few minutes...if I can figure out how =D

Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    i really dig that robot ink piece, even if it's not finished.
    the pelvises and bellies of your females are spot-on. but orange boobs...wut.

keep posting, i'd love to see your art in the future, you're stuff's great!
    HAHAHA, yeah I know I need to work on the boobs a bit. Anyway, thank you for the critique, and the compliments!

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the robot piece is great, the frog shows decent shadingskills and the comic-like pieces are adorable!
    a damn smooth start!

greets, ben

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carg0re For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some things I have been working on in the past few days

Name:  Work in progress small.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  102.7 KB
    This one is a really rough sketch I did the other night. A reference was used. Done in pencil.

Name:  Kitties and Robot wip small.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  122.2 KB
    This was done a while back. I never did finish it, because I didn't really know where to go with it. I was going to attempt to color it with Photoshop, but realized......I have no idea how to even use photoshop for coloring =D....so I left it as is.

Critique is very welcome......so are compliments =D

Last edited by Americandodo; January 19th, 2009 at 04:00 AM.

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Carg0re View Post
    the robot piece is great, the frog shows decent shadingskills and the comic-like pieces are adorable!
    a damn smooth start!

greets, ben

Thank you very much! I hope to add a few more in the next few days if I get the time. I really appreciate the compliments!

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here is a new one I did last night

Well, I did this last night in pencil (took about an hour, and used a reference). I know there are many flaws, but I am not all that great at portraits. Any guesses who it is?
    Name:  RonPaulgreyscale small.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  326.5 KB
    Any, and I mean ANY critique you folks can give me will be much appreciated! I would really like to get some pointers from you on portraits, or drawing in general.

Thanks everyone!

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually i think this portrait is pretty good for someone claiming not to be good at portraits Keep in mind that you choose to use 3/4 sight/perspective - (?? sry don't know the english name and currently to lazy to look it up in the loomis books ) - which is the hardest one to use for a beginner. profiles or full frontals are easier.

what you might consider working on:

- use stronger lightning, it gives more contrast and makes your portrait look more dynamic and alive
    - have a look at lip-/mouth-construction and remember your nose is built of three dimensonal shapes,too.... to indicate this simply think of "value change equals form change"
    - and a lil trick which always helps me to get at least a little bit of a realisitc look is the following:
    1. cast shadows -> hard edges (2 to 3 times darker than core,rule of thumb)
    2. core shadows -> soft edges blend into structure to indicate form
    3. use reflected light

i hope this doesn't sound rude, if it does it's not intentional! i'm still learning this, too and i see a long road ahead of me... well it's rather like walking the highway through nevada-desert and waiting for the bats to show up fear-and-loathing-style

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carg0re For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually i think this portrait is pretty good for someone claiming not to be good at portraits Keep in mind that you choose to use 3/4 sight/perspective - (?? sry don't know the english name and currently to lazy to look it up in the loomis books ) - which is the hardest one to use for a beginner. profiles or full frontals are easier.

what you might consider working on:

- use stronger lightning, it gives more contrast and makes your portrait look more dynamic and alive
    - have a look at lip-/mouth-construction and remember your nose is built of three dimensonal shapes,too.... to indicate this simply think of "value change equals form change"
    - and a lil trick which always helps me to get at least a little bit of a realisitc look is the following:
    1. cast shadows -> hard edges (2 to 3 times darker than core,rule of thumb)
    2. core shadows -> soft edges blend into structure to indicate form
    3. use reflected light

i hope this doesn't sound rude, if it does it's not intentional! i'm still learning this, too and i see a long road ahead of me... well it's rather like walking the highway through nevada-desert and waiting for the bats to show up fear-and-loathing-style

Thank you Carg0re!!! That is just the kind of critique I was hoping to get. I will try out some of the stuff you are talking about. I saw nothing rude about your reply, all I saw was useful tips, and things I should try out...........(after all, I did ask for tips =D)
    Again. thank you VERY much for your reply!!! After work, I am gonna get right on some drawing, and try out some stuff. I wish more people would be honest, and actually leave me critique and tips like you did. I have 240 something page views, and only 14 replies...half of which are my own =D

Anyway, thanks again....MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Later!

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i always like to be helpfull i just thought it would sound kinda teacher-like and i didn't want to sound like that, coz i' not good at drawing..^^

have fun, ben

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i always like to be helpfull i just thought it would sound kinda teacher-like and i didn't want to sound like that, coz i' not good at drawing..^^

have fun, ben
    You are very helpful, and you do so in a peer type way, so that is great. One more thing, what do you mean you are not good at drawing, I saw your sketchbook, and you really can draw! I want to see more of your drawings as a matter of fact!

You have fun also!

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Something old

I did this MANY years ago, but I thought....what the heck, I will post it Name:  our_uncle_sam_by_americandodo.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  249.6 KB

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay, looks like good ol' uncle sam got a bit too old

it's a great sketch, try to render it some more...don't be afraid, you know why humans invented erasers? because it makes us able to erase what we don't like ... you can always go back to your linework!

keep in mind, that if you want to make a career in art, there will (!!!) definetly be a gazillion piece you don't like on the road... just part of the process... that's why i like to think of the future... because maybe in ten years or so, i will acutally be able to draw a picture i like^^

greets, Ben

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Carg0re For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick drive by to say happy birthday hope you're out partying and having a helluva time!

greets, Ben

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Carg0re For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay, looks like good ol' uncle sam got a bit too old

it's a great sketch, try to render it some more...don't be afraid, you know why humans invented erasers? because it makes us able to erase what we don't like ... you can always go back to your linework!

keep in mind, that if you want to make a career in art, there will (!!!) definetly be a gazillion piece you don't like on the road... just part of the process... that's why i like to think of the future... because maybe in ten years or so, i will acutally be able to draw a picture i like^^

greets, Ben
    thank you for the encouragement. I do need to just get over my worries about ruining my art. like you said, erasers are after all....erasers, =D

As for you, I believe you have a great future ahead of you. you have a GREAT outlook on things, and you really do have the skill (which reminds me, I am going to your sketchbook, and I hope to see some new work from ya!

Anyway, thanks again!

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick drive by to say happy birthday hope you're out partying and having a helluva time!

greets, Ben
    By the way, thank you very much for the birthday greeting! I had a great time, and did a wee amount of partying

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well, I got some inspiration to do some coloring

I ran across this fantastic artist on another site (not sure about posting links here), but his screen name on the other place is called odavis. He is an AMAZING color pencilist. I gained some great inspiration from him, and decided to try colored pencils (seeing as how I am horrible at digital media). Anyway, I would be very grateful for any critique on my coloring. I know it is not great, but I am looking for tips, and pointers.
    Thanks everyone!

Name:  nude first color small.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  239.2 KB

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first attempt at digital

Well, here is my first attempt at photoshop. I did this totally from scratch, and used no references. I did it for two reasons...one, I am an old school GI-Joe fan, and two......Destro seemed easier since he has a metal head =D
    Let me know what you think......I would appreciate any critique at all, or ANY tips you have for digital art. I am totally new to this medium, so I am grateful for any pointers.

Thanks
    Name:  destro-small.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  30.9 KB

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hah! didn't think I'd see destro again! I like the passion that comes out of the stuff you posted..its clear that you put a lot of attention into drawing these and yet still enjoyed yourself in the process! keep it up!
    as for the crits...Destro's face is tilting/ drifting slightly..always check your sketches for tilting before painting over them..

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay, updates! that's cool... good to see ya here again for a first attempt it looks pretty well done, but you might consider a stronger silouette, and a harder brush, gives more definition. next month i'll finally have my wacom, so we can explore digital painting togehter if you like

greets, ben

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by the ANGRY filipino View Post
    hah! didn't think I'd see destro again! I like the passion that comes out of the stuff you posted..its clear that you put a lot of attention into drawing these and yet still enjoyed yourself in the process! keep it up!
    as for the crits...Destro's face is tilting/ drifting slightly..always check your sketches for tilting before painting over them..

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, I do have lots of fun drawing! Oh, and yeah, that Destro face is a bit tilted isn't it =D I guess I didn't even realize it till I looked at it again....but that is hard to miss, HAHAHA Maybe next time I will make sure to make things a bit more straight Thanks for stopping by, and the critique! I don't get many visitors to my sketchbook, so it is nice when someone leaves a comment!

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay, updates! that's cool... good to see ya here again for a first attempt it looks pretty well done, but you might consider a stronger silouette, and a harder brush, gives more definition. next month i'll finally have my wacom, so we can explore digital painting togehter if you like

greets, ben

Hey Ben! Long time no speak! Thanks for the tip! I don't really know much of anything when it comes to digital art, but it would be SUPER to explore digital painting together with ya! What kind of wacom are you getting? I have an old graphire 4x6, but I have been looking at getting an intuos...I don't know what size to get, or if it really matters? I know I am on a budget though =D

Talk to ya later, and thanks for the comments!

Dennis

Check out my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone....well everyone who actually stops by my sketchbook =D I wanted to post this colored pencil work I did recently. Let me know what you think, and any critique would be great! I am also posting the reference photo I used, so I can give props to the woman BBliss! It is her photo, and her in it. She gave me permission to draw her...so I say give credit where credit is due

Name:  I'll-be-here-smallerer.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  c6056891c08c6e58a81626efb25d75ea.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  223.8 KB

Check out my Sketchbook

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Americandodo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.