Blending in Painter

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Blending in Painter

Is there any way to use a blender or smudge tool in Painter to create a wispy/hairy feel without the white being added in like in my attachment? I really like what the Water Rake does, but as you can see, the white doesn't allow for much room to edit. So is there any way to drag out the paint without more paint being added in?

I don't want to use the Artist's Oils to blend since they can't rake.

Also, I know about the Underlying Color setting on layers, but I constantly change my background colors. =\

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: And the brown area is on a separate layer from the grey layer.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe that there is no real way of getting around this as a smudge tool or blend tool will either smudge/blend to the selected background colour or by selecting the Pick Up Underlying Colour box to the layers below. It is the nature of smudge/blenders. You can tone it down a bit by going to Window/Brush Control/Well and setting Bleed to 0%. This will work for short strokes, but if you over blend the background colour will still come through.

I personally use other brushes (like a modified Detail Oils Brush) at lower opacity to get a similar effect (no dragging colour involved).

The Oil brush can rake if you change the Stroke Type to Rake (Window/Brush Controls/General/StrokeType)

Last edited by fes; December 9th, 2008 at 06:11 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fes For This Useful Post:

Meg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try to check "paint with underlying color" in the layer palette. i hope it works for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Easy solution. Instead of using a blending brush, go to the palette knife category and use a knife. If you don't like the square shape go to brush controls general tab and change dab from knife to circular. Make sure to have pick up underlying color box checked in your layers menu. Now go make art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listen to Galil, he has the solution. The white won't appear then

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Also, I know about the Underlying Color setting on layers, but I constantly change my background colors. =\
    er ... Meg knows about the 'pick up underlying colour' box..... the point is that Meg doesn't want to blend to any colour - white or layer beneath... due to the fact that the layer beneath colour may change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For that to happen Painter would have to interpret white color as being transparent like what Paint Tool SAI does.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I was hoping for a tool setting to feather out on it's own. fes, thanks for pointing out to turn the bleed all the way to zero so that there's no white. Maybe I can work with it? The only problem is that it only drags one color and won't get new colors in the bristles unless I reclick and make another stroke from the source.

I find it embarrassing that by now Corel hasn't made a blending tool (besides the artist's oils) that can work with the transparency of layers. =\ Photoshop can blend with transparency just fine...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photoshop doesn't have a blending engine to begin with.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't the point of blending is to blend colors together? When you create layers - the best analogy I can come up with is it's like working off acetate on animation cels, you can't blend a cel color below another. It's giving leeway by pretending that the clear cels can interact with each other provided there is color underneath the two colors you want to interact with.

"Blending"/ smudging with Photoshop actually works best with one layer. Though it doesn't exactly blend as Portus said above.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm there seems to be quite a mix in answers. I guess it really is to each their own...

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Isn't the point of blending is to blend colors together? When you create layers - the best analogy I can come up with is it's like working off acetate on animation cels, you can't blend a cel color below another. It's giving leeway by pretending that the clear cels can interact with each other provided there is color underneath the two colors you want to interact with.
    No, I just want it to feather to transparency and have whatever is in the background be completely independent.

Photoshop doesn't have a blending engine to begin with.
    Smudge Tool?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Smudge Tool?
    Smudge pushes paint around in photoshop it doesn't blend colors together. When you say blend, it means you're actually having another color interact with another. Pushing paint around isn't blending it's smearing hence "Smudge Tool"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    setting the "brown layer" to multiply would make the white go away and probably have the desired effect you're looking for- but will make your brown darker and you'll have to tone back the layer's opacity, and possibly make for some color adjustments (not painter's strong point). There'll be a lot of guess-work and it might be more frustration that success.

Painter doesn't work as well with layers as PS. I've learned to paint on two layers- "background" (which is all of the layers I've previously dropped) and a new layer I'm painting on. Any more than that and I find that I have huge issues when dropping layers later.

A while ago I was painting some hair, got fed up, and used the "variable flat" brush under the "oils" category. Changing the "feature" of this brush will change the amount of space between each bristle, and letting up on the stylis will feather it a bit. I used a 6D stylis for this, as it takes your rotation into account and that's very much helpful for flat brushes, but without that equipment there are similar round brushes under the same category. The finished result was something like this (the mane hair around the head and arms etc.):

Blending in Painter

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.