Sketchbook: Chudd's Shindig - Update(Feb 21)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chudd's Shindig - Update(Feb 21)

Hi kids.. trying this once more. Really into what im doing now and class and was once again pushed enough.. to post.

New Stuff

Rough sketch for my next assignment

^Thats the general idea of my first in a series of 4 related drawings. The actual drawing is gonna be 16x22 inches. With prismacolor pencils. As far as the sketch goes the body parts and the bodies from one to another are off badly on proportion. But i took alot of written and mental notes. Then after suggesting i work on arm length as well as foreshortening I decided to do these:

Myself and the teacher were pleased with general concept here. I will have to change figure three's arm though. I have everything lightly sketched down except the laying figure and figure 3's arm. Will show work in progress when coloring begins. Any words on this is fine.

And the two old things im carrying over since im starting anew.

^that piece recently was in a student exhibit at Virginia Museum of Fine Arts over the weekend. So thats kinda nifty.

^overall wasnt happy with the color usage and the shading. but the idea was there and bleh it was a good study with whacked out stretching of the hand. the silhouette of the hand is what did please me finally so hey. hush. nah any comments are welcome. thanks. - chudds

Last edited by chudzta; February 22nd, 2004 at 10:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, thanks for the support. I'm definitely liking that exhibit piece. I'm terrible with giving advice, hmm. With that new sketch, I'd say to try working with your lines a bit on your figures, the outlines seem kinda rounded and static. I'm always trying to get cleaner and more dynamic outlines. Maybe try some silhoutte type stuff, clothing can really stand out in just your outlines. I know it's just a sketch, but the shading on the figures is abit confusing... you can try outlining your shadows before shading, might be a bit comic'y, but I find it's good practice (probably not a bad thing for sketches). I dunno if that helps. Keep up the good work. :chug:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, it's looking good, and keep it up. Here's a couple crits to try and help you out:

-Download loomis' book on heads, you seem to need to work on the structure of the head. I think it would help.
    -Do more life drawing. Same goes with just about everyone, but honestly, it's a wonderful way to improve. Just life drawing and studies will help a lot, but doing more creative stuff certainly makes it much more entertaining.
    -I know it's a rough sketch, but throw a ton more details when you get to the final piece. It'll add alot to it.
    -As for the hand, try not to round out everything. There are a few sharp angles in the hand, so show them! Go ahead and do some studies from loomis' book, I'm certain it will help.
    -Your painting (?) is sweet. Do more colored pieces, but perhaps read up on color use a tad.

Good job, and keep on sketching.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I live in Madison, it's about an hour north of Charlottesville.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say, your pastel drawing is wonderful, my experiences with pastel have been disastrous, however yours embodies an impressionistic style that really sets a mood and tone for the piece. Colors are wonderful.

I like the mood you choose for your pencil work, the only thing that I would really think may help out is proportion in your pieces, other than that I really enjoy your creative expressionism.

What i found that really helped with human figures is practicing the techniques and drawings of iwasink and kchen

KCHEN

iwasink

By the way thx for posting in my sketchbook thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes Yes.. thats how i view myself. I will check their styles over some more even though im very familiar with the progress of MCM's progress. ty a ton for posting as well. i'll be sure to stop by yours more often. i should have art to post up again in a few days. including the finished piece for those soldiers. - piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys

not uploading as often as i want. but trying to keep an active presence within the subforum by replying to others works.

I was asked two questions i hate to hear. one much more than the other. however they are nearly exactly the same

my dad asked me where i get my ideas from. I was like wtf kinda question is that? my head of course. ugh it made me so mad.

Then yearbook asks me for a quote about my influences.. well i had just made one up to express my feelings on my "influences" so i gave them the exact quote that i had written down. Which was "There is nothing more influential to my artistic development than a community of unique, aspiring artists. The expressions of each member's personality and ideas push the limits of everyone else's createive conceptualism." This forum was my obvious major influence for feeling in such a way. So this is why i share...

My 3 soldier piece is done but i wont be able to scan it for another week.

So the 2nd in the series of 4 was going to be a aerial view of the same scene using color to express the good and bad sides of the war.. the innonence and the bloodlust.

the basic sketch for the setup and compos.

a 3 inch colored thumbnail of the piece. incorporating my initial coloring ideas.

the final piece. DIGITAL CAM.. was unfocused or something. I will scan it in pieces later.. maybe. i dunno. Im just not happy cuz it looks a little blurry. but oh well. other than that. Its just want i wanted from it.

Doodle of a substitute and i got this idea of a sock puppet attacking the guy maneuvering it and him having this whacked out expression. I need to get a pal to pose for me. But im anxious to do it. im sure its not entirely original. but its a lil whacky so i can play with it and make my own im sure.

Finally a quick crappily proportioned , crappily shaded homework assignment. Drawing two things sort of ironic or humorous etc. I drew shakespeare with a typewriter. whoopee..*end of sarcaz*

is it just me or is chudd longwinded tonight? - piece - chudds

Last edited by chudzta; January 13th, 2004 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chudd's Shindig - Update(Dec 13)

The other day I got really into the one dsg idea. Didnt have time to complete it that night due to work. So I shelved it until I had time to work on it. Heres the page of conceptual sketches i did. Alot of it is in my head im thinking. But you get the idea here

i really enjoyed mapping out my thoughts like this and am anxious to do it again

chudds loves you

Last edited by chudzta; January 13th, 2004 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last night. Mostly reference work. Fell asleep at the computer.:eek:

chudds

Last edited by chudzta; January 13th, 2004 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, rough studies here. Small environ scribbling in btm right. Top left was one depressed beaten looking boy .. a photo i found. o well drew that in the dark

the bottom left is me and the top right is a kid in my chem class who posed for 10 minutes. whiny as hell. lol

And i just did a quick hand study in the dark to finish the page. will do more soon on the weekend. but i also have 3-d projects to do up.. gonna use like sticks etc. i think. who knows.

piece to ya. i love comments - chudds

Last edited by chudzta; January 13th, 2004 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmm...good stuff. I haven't been on in a while

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyy,

@obid - cheers

rough night sketches. The guy i really like. the girl looked weird to begin with but hey. atleast i stuck with it. I like myself when i feel devoted. Got a few good things starting into my head now from more sketching.. and the whole conceptual process makes me feel like a healthier artist.

- chudds

Last edited by chudzta; January 13th, 2004 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice stuff chudzta, I like the last drawings you've posted. I think you could try not shading all the area of the drawing, so you could use the unshaded areas to indicate the planes with more light (do I make sense?). Using an eraser would be an option, but it'd be better if you left those areas untouched from the beggining.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah coheed and cambria rule! thisis good work the last one shows alot of improvement, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really good. The only thing I'd like to mention is that your shades seem a bit simple. They dont really fall on the face correctly (understand what I mean?).

and keep posting, post more often! I want to see more from you, so keep at it boyah, yer mama aint 'ere ta help ya now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent progression, youre last drawings have vastly improved. Keep up the excellent work! And keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @roger.. of course.. before I read your post i was already starting that with this chick. I knew it before and just got really carried away. hehe. thanks.

@theswift + famboozled.. cheers and thanks.

@talmir.. um yes and no.. i agree that its rough and i do get bored and keep sketching randomly not thinking and it makes the shading wrong.. but im also just going for likeness and shape.. i dunno thanks for the comment

The sketching i did last night. Photo ref and then an image that was mostly one drawn out doodle inspired by a line from a poem that is around the circumference of that very page. cut off in the scan. if u really wanna know what all my pages say then i dont mind posting it text-wise

Secondly.. I have some stuff i want to post that are finished or near finished stuff for school. but i didnt have time tonight to photograph them due to work. Will get them up soon. the one that is most recent im very proud of and would love to share it. - chudds

Last edited by chudzta; January 13th, 2004 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey isnt the building in the first set of pictures is Wright's Fountain..something?

nice work btw

_B0R1S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @sic8sic haha. yes that building is Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Waters. Ive been there many times. The piece was referenced from a photograph in the fall.

i should have an update by 10 or so tonight if not sooner. - piece - chudds

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude i hope you noticed this, but your host seems to be down...
    youve been to that house? wow how was it

_B0R1S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, a lot of creative work here, good to see youre writiing journals too, im anxious to see this finished work post soon man! late!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chudds, where are you man!? haven't seen any if your work for ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're steadily progressing, Chud.

Swell.

From the looks of it, I think studying a bit anatomy, skeleton,.. would help you most at this point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ra h- of course it would. and thanks

the swift - first g/f for a month. and the past half has been iffish. but ive been doin bits here and there and in a few minutes now i'll have all that up. im starting to do this often again i hope.

fam - hell if i remember what i was workin on at the time. its all in a folder somewhere now. but i will be making new pieces soon on my spare time. not in class anymore

sic8 - i since switched servers thanks for noticing.. and um yes it was inspiring and magnificent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    done in early january. portrait study and compo tryout for a pastel piece i later did. didnt like the end result but it got me a 100 so whatever.

crap compo insomnia

applying for GOV SCHOOL OF THE ARTS FOR VIRGINIA~!~ and this was the gay live 15 min sketch we had to do. i was sub happy with it

random compos to find something ilike. the one on the far right is vague but is definately something im doin within the nexxxt year

a page of portraits that are NEW.. like as i did them all within the last day. and hope to do more tmrw of some sort. 7 or so minutes on most except the one guy on the top was moreso 12-15 or i duno. i dont always stay focused while sketching. hehe. but he was my favorite outcome as well.. mostly cuz of contrast. these were all photo ref'ed randomly minus the bad baby drawing

-with sincere love - ryry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progress dude. If I had anything to say it would be to spend more time on your pics. I have do the same thing, where as I should be taking more time. Other than that, good luck at Art School! :cool:

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff you got here.
    You're surely progressing, so keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uber sweet, i like the last page the most..

_B0R1S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sic8sic - good. thats what i just did, the other is a month old. makes me smile. hehe

ty spell.

obid - .. yea. generally. i dont give myself the time alotted. and i do them way at night when i get bored. its merely a priority/time management issue in my head. and practice..

will have something tomorrow i promise - chudds

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey chudd, great improving. It's not magic since it seems that you're doing a lot of refs lately. Just don´t stop doint it. Even if you find it boring, it pays laters.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.