Photoshop elements

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Photoshop elements

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photoshop elements

I'm thinking of buying PSE soon. I was wondering just what features are missing from it compared to PS CS. Also will it make a huge deference in my art or is that just a myth. Any feed back is welcome as I know very little about either program.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's enough to get you started.

- Adam

Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 416 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Take a look at this:

Elements+

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slug45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I'll have to give this a try.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since I don't believe I saw it listed, wouldn't another major difference also be Brush Dynamics?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard about that but I'm not sure how much of a deference there is. I'm running a trial version of elements now. I was wondering if I could also run the trial version of CS now or will they conflict with each other.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 416 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think all the options/features of the brushes will work with elements but the edition/configuration of the brushes is very limited. It looks like the brush engine is practically the same.

So, if you create a brush library in Photoshop, and you try to use it with elements, all will work in elements as they would work in photoshop (slower because the brush/render engine of elements is slower, because of the way elements handles the memory, because of the way elements uses the graphic card..etc).
    I tried some brush libraries I have and even the inclination of the Intuos works.

So I think that elements is basically the same as photoshop, but with a lot of features Adobe poorly tried to remove.

Take a look at google if u don't wanna pay for elements+, there are some tutorials about how to make actions for photoshop elements, get curves working, etc.

I haven't tried CS4 and elements at the same time, but I don't think it would be a problem for them running at the same time (just a pain in the ass to remove them properly).

Last edited by slug45; December 9th, 2008 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use Photoshop Elements 2.0 which was included in my Graphire3. I don't have enough cash to buy the complete Photoshop.

On PSE you have a very minimal control of Brush Dynamics. You can set:

- Spacing: spacing of the brush image when it's drawn.
    - Fade: a measure of distance for a color fade.
    - Color Jitter: amount of jitter between the foreground and background colors.
    - Hardness
    - Scatter: Scattering spacing

You can set the angle of the brush and its roundness, and that's all.

The version 2.0 of PSE can open brushes up to Photoshop 7. All of the features of those brushes work, like opacity or size set to pressure. As it has been said before, those features are still there, just unexposed to the user.

Since I'm a programmer, what I did was figure out the brushes file format and create an ugly program which modifies a saved brush and adds those features. This way I can create brushes with opacity set to pressure, etc. I couldn't figure out everything, but it's awesome to have these things!

PSE also doesn't work with CMYK, only RGB. If you don't know what CMYK is, you probably will be ok with PSE.

PSE also doesn't have shapes, nor paths, nor ruler marks. I see on the link to Elements+ that you can enable these missing features. I have seen other similar sites which offer part of those features for free.

When my Graphire3 broke and bought an Intuos3 (yeah!), I got PSE 5 I think. I didn't like it, it was ugly and slow. They biased it more to photo editing and organizing and less for drawing and painting. That was my impression and that's why I still stick to PSE 2.0.

Everything that you see on my Sketchbook (link on my sig), unimpressive as it is, was done with PSE 2.0. Also, everything that's posted here: http://retrazos.jgwong.org. At the very end, a tool is just a tool. Helps a lot to have nice features, but nothing replaces hard work and dedication.

If you have other questions, I'll be glad to help.

Jaime G. Wong
    retrazos.pe
    CA Sketchbook -- Please critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I've heard elements 3.0 is the best one so far. But I can't find it to buy also some of the newer plugins don't work with it I've heard.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.