hi there,
i'm currently trying to work my way through bridgman, but i find my limited knowledge of the english language making this a little bit difficult.

i was hoping someone could shed a little light on two qustions i have.

1. he is talking of the mass of the hand proper, "(it)is beveled from knuckles to wrist on the edge; from wrist to knuckles on the flat side, and from first to little finger from side to side."

my question is, which is the edge, and which is the flat side of the hand?

2. concerning the thumb, "the thumb may be drawn in until only it's root buldges beyond the lateral line of the hand, and may be carried out to a great angle with it. in this later position its first segment forms a triangle whose base is the side of the hand, equal to it in length; whose height is on the palmar surface, equal to the width of the hand, and on the dorsal surface, almost as great"

it is my understanding, that he describes a state, in which the tip of the thumb rests just below the first segment of the little finger on the palmar side of the hand. but how can the height of the resulting shape on the palmar side be different from the height on the dorsal side of the hand?

(both passages can be found on page 7 of the softcover edition of bridgman's constructive anatomy)

i'd greatly appreciate any pointers you guys could give me