Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: rawr

Thanks
    hey dude!
    nice workload right there!
    but I wonder if you scan them? I think the scan eats up pretty much of your drawings! Try to adjust your imgs on PS or take photos of them!

keep drawing!!!

cheers
    ••• Φ •••

Nettle_Mountain - walnut - SamC - Walid D - Nrx - Dilated - FraserMcT
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Todays update, taaaddaaa

dont know whats with me today, ive been real tired and done nothing all day.

first my self portraits for mine and walids selfportrait thread, and then some sketches of my brother.

so far my goal is just to see in planes and recognise which are important to creating the illusion of depth in a piece, im moving along this path now (though not in self portraits lol )

as for the scanner issue, i think its down to a few things, one the scanners not great, two because im useing a sketchbook thats ringbound its creating dead black areas were the paper is lifted off the scanning bed, the scanners then getting confused with the bright white and dark black and ignoring the pencil drawings, if you look at my more rendered pieces were theres more for it to pick up on in midtones there better.
    anyway as for resolving it ive realised how to make the scanner preview work better, and also 8 pages of this sketchbook left, when those are gone ive got a moleskine without rings so that should help too.

now for the work
    Attachment 554764Attachment 554767

areas to focus improvment

-pushing stuff more, being more refined in general
    -start on figure.

ok im in bloody pain no more writing

see ya later
    dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    your faces are getting better but still try to improve on your shading, maybe look at some other crosshatching works and copy them to get a better grip on it.
    yeah that scanner is really killing your work, try photographing it
    Keep it up

Currently looking for work!

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for dropping by my sketchie! There's definitely improvements. For me it's obvious that my pencils are much weaker than my paintings cause i paint more than draw (i know bad habit) and i learnt it from this thread. Keep on going dude!

Thanks
    Am tired, long day little sleep.

i did another portrait too but accidently over wrote it, so you get this sketch in stead. my humble apologies

Attachment 555638
    dan's sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow the eyes are freaky. Maybe do black and white, especially for sketches.
    Nice improvement in the pencil sketches, keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraz For This Useful Post:

Nrx

Thanks
    i dont think ill get any major updates in today, ive just been working on thumbs which arnt ready to show yet.

Attachment 557487
    dan's sketchbook

Thanks
    This one is really better in proportions ! Now, you need to add more contrast, to reproduce the volume ! Keep it up :p

Thanks
    keep refining these sp's just leaving them like that wont help to much, push these harder.

Currently looking for work!

Thanks
    thanks for the input guys, i didnt see it before i did this, but next time im gonna go in and work a bit harder on the fine details around the eyes and lips. but also focus on making it have more depth.

i also want to get back to long observational stuff, will try do that tomorow. anyway today was first day back to the gym and spent most of the day writing my personal statement for my application to art college, ill post it incase anyones interested, this is a review of the course im applying to Leeds college of art and design

and heres my ps

I want to be part of the foundation art and design course because I want to be immersed in a creative environment were I can focus on developing as a artist and not be distracted by other subjects. I want to create contacts with other artists and gain a better understanding of what awaits down the path I've chosen to take and to see what other options there are in similar fields.

Previously I've studied Art and design, English Lang/lit and psychology at a level, when I decided to take these I was interested in pursuing psychology as a career, but I quickly realised that art is something I love. I always find satisfaction in art, whatever it be that im doing and whatever mood im in, but with other pursuits id find, I'd enjoy discussing and reading about topics but when it actually came down to learning them I found myself very quickly loosing interest. With art I always enjoy the challenge and the results (success as it shows me were im at, and failure because I can workout were I need to improve), I enjoy trying to see what's really there with observational studys, trying to choose the right colour with painting, studying perspective, anatomy, etc etc. I think that in general its problem solving that I really enjoy, and everything in art is trying to solve a problem (well at least in my experience so far)and its a constant battle to improve myself.

I want to stay in Leeds (for now, I want to go away when/if I do my degree) because it's my home city and I don't feel that I've made the most of it, there are some truly amazing things in Leeds that I've yet to take full advantage of, the royal armouries is an amazing resource for anyone interested in fantasy or sci fi illustration, there the museums, the discovery centre were I could organise a monkey skeleton (!) still life, if I could find a group of artists to go with, the amazing water views, the city scape or the awe inspiring bronze casts.

Currently im pursuing a few activities, im a active member of conceptart.org (a online community of artists ranging from professional illustrators, artists in the entertainment industry, fine artists and students) I'm involved in a 'ssg' (sketch book support group / super sketch group ) were me and four other artists push each other to study harder and critique each other, I've found their support invaluable, im also committed to doing a self portrait a day with another artists I met on the website, as well as taking part in various competitions and activities on the site when I can find the time. I'm also rhythm guitarist and vocalist in a band with friends, I find music to be a really great way to quickly distance myself from any art im working on, I can come back to it and see it with fresh eyes (its works vice versa too, doing a quick sketch or observational drawing between trying to write songs or lyrics is a great way to distance myself and see what I've really created). I also workout on a regular schedule, aiming to loose weight, become stronger and have more energy, so far I've lost 20 kg and become much, much stronger physically and mentally. Previously I was in the air cadets (I particularly enjoyed flying and aerobatics), took karate classes but I had to stop those due to injury and other events in my life at the time and I did my work experience at a tailors. At the moment im employed by Argos, working in the ware house, locating and bringing products to the customers, frankly its a unchallenging and dull job that luckily inspires me to work harder so I can succeed in the artistic industry.

I'm a driven person who enjoys learning new things, problem solving, working in groups and I think I could be a great addition to your college.

Daniel newton
    id love to get peoples views on it, whats your gut reaction when you read it, do i come off like a cocky annoying prick lol?

now for the art, damn i fucking hate this ring bound sketchbook, nearly done only a few more pages to struggle through, ive got a few looses sketches in another (new lol) book but not worth the effort to scan.

Attachment 558818 Attachment 558824
    dan's sketchbook

Thanks
    I want to be part of the foundation art and design course because I want to be immersed in a creative environment were I can focus on developing as a artist and not be distracted by other subjects. I want to create contacts with other artists and gain a better understanding of what awaits down the path I've chosen to take and to see what other options there are in similar fields.

Previously I've studied Art and design, English Lang/lit and psychology at a level, when I decided to take these I was interested in pursuing psychology as a career, but I quickly realised that art is something I love. I always find satisfaction in art, whatever it be that im doing and whatever mood im in, but with other pursuits id find, I'd enjoy discussing and reading about topics but when it actually came down to learning them I found myself very quickly loosing interest. With art I always enjoy the challenge and the results (success as it shows me were im at, and failure because I can workout were I need to improve), I enjoy trying to see what's really there with observational studys, trying to choose the right colour with painting, studying perspective, anatomy, etc etc. I think that in general its problem solving that I really enjoy, and everything in art is trying to solve a problem (well at least in my experience so far)and its a constant battle to improve myself.

I want to stay in Leeds (for now, I want to go away when/if I do my degree) because it's my home city and I don't feel that I've made the most of it, there are some truly amazing things in Leeds that I've yet to take full advantage of, the royal armouries is an amazing resource for anyone interested in fantasy or sci fi illustration, there the museums, the discovery centre were I could organise a monkey skeleton (!) still life, if I could find a group of artists to go with, the amazing water views, the city scape or the awe inspiring bronze casts.

Currently im pursuing a few activities, im a active member of conceptart.org (a online community of artists ranging from professional illustrators, artists in the entertainment industry, fine artists and students) I'm involved in a 'ssg' (sketch book support group / super sketch group ) were me and four other artists push each other to study harder and critique each other, I've found their support invaluable, im also committed to doing a self portrait a day with another artists I met on the website, as well as taking part in various competitions and activities on the site when I can find the time. I'm also rhythm guitarist and vocalist in a band with friends, I find music to be a really great way to quickly distance myself from any art im working on, I can come back to it and see it with fresh eyes (its works vice versa too, doing a quick sketch or observational drawing between trying to write songs or lyrics is a great way to distance myself and see what I've really created). I also workout on a regular schedule, aiming to loose weight, become stronger and have more energy, so far I've lost 20 kg and become much, much stronger physically and mentally. Previously I was in the air cadets (I particularly enjoyed flying and aerobatics), took karate classes but I had to stop those due to injury and other events in my life at the time and I did my work experience at a tailors. At the moment im employed by Argos, working in the ware house, locating and bringing products to the customers, frankly its a unchallenging and dull job that luckily inspires me to work harder so I can succeed in the artistic industry.

I'm a driven person who enjoys learning new things, problem solving, working in groups and I think I could be a great addition to your college.

Daniel newton

I would like to be part of the foundation art and design course for several reasons. Some of the main reasons are; I want to be immersed in a creative environment were I can focus on developing my skills as a artist with help of professionals to understand and eventually overcome my weaknesses. It would be great to be in contact with other artists with my same goals and hobbies to help gain a better understanding of what awaits down the path I've chosen to take and to see what other options there are in similar fields.

Previously I've studied Art and Design, English Language/literature and psychology at A level, when I decided to take these I was interested in pursuing psychology as a career, but I quickly realised that art is something that I enjoy a lot more. I always find satisfaction in art, no matter what mood that I'm in. Art is unlike other interests that I enjoyed the concept of; when I began trying to learn them, I became quickly disinterested in, however with art I found myself enjoying it far more. I always enjoy the challenge in art and I love seeing the results, both good and bad, as every time I draw or paint, I find myself analysing it and finding things I could improve on, or have improved. I have found that I enjoy studying anatomy the most, where at first I thought I would dislike it. I think that in general, art is problem solving that I really enjoy, and it's a constant battle to improve myself.

I really like Leeds as there are a lot of great sightseeing opportunities, and I would love to stay here a few more years so that I can enjoy it more.

//Maybe say something nice about the college here, they like that.

Currently I am trying to keep my speciality scope large so that I can get a feel for what I will like best, however there are so much things that I have yet to try. I'm an active member of conceptart.org (an online community of artists ranging from professional illustrators, artists in the entertainment industry, fine artists and students), and in this I am encouraged to draw more and improve faster. I am given critique from various styled artists which helps me try new things. Because of this, I've committed myself to doing a self portrait a day with another artists I met on the website, as well as taking part in various competitions and activities on the site. I'm a keen rhythm guitarist and vocalist in a band with friends. I also am committed to do exercise on a regular schedule, aiming to loose weight and have more energy. So far I've lost 20 kg and become much stronger physically and mentally, which shows that when I want something, I am prepared to try hard to achieve it. Previously I was in the air cadets (I particularly enjoyed flying and aerobatics), took karate classes and I did my work experience at a tailors. At the moment I am employed by a retail store called Argos. I locate and bring products to the customers, this job gives me pleasure in helping people and has shown me how work is in a fairly small team. I like working in a team of this size as it creates bonds that in turn let us push each other to work harder and faster.

Thank you, Daniel Newton.

A few notes, never slag off a job or make it sound bad. Pick out the good things or else you sound stroppy and like you hate everything that isn't perfect.
    Watch out for capitalizing ' I'm ' and try to overall have better sentence structure.

Nice art dude, keep at it. I hope I helped. Be sure to read over it, as I haven't, so there are likely to still be mistakes.

Thanks
    woah aesome man, thats really insightfull thanks
    dan's sketchbook

Thanks
    Ok ive got some sketches too (a pretty good thing from the mind too, if only i knew what the fuck it is, i _think_ its a angel.. smoking a cigarette.. being eaten.. by a jar, with hooves and eyes, i think anyway) but im not gonna put that up today, because im lazy and i cant be assed scanning, rescanning ,rescanning, giving up, rapeing my art in photoshop and fighting the attachment manager, so today you get digitals, sweet sweet digitals, 2 are shit, ones ok, comma, yeah.

these first ones are really bad, i was just messing around more than trying

Attachment 559691Attachment 559692

and the better one, making progress with these i think, the first two actually came first so they have the bigger value changes after advice i was given in the crit center
    Attachment 559693
    dan's sketchbook

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast