Art: Oruhito's Thread
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Oruhito's Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oruhito's Thread

EDIT: Will update soon!

Thought I'd share with you my stuff. As always constructive criticism is welcome. I apologize for the crappy photos.

cheers!

-Alexander

Cast drawing of Dying Slave, Charcoal on Fabriano. (Three months..ACK!)
    (EDIT: picture deleted - newly photographed pic in this thread)

Zara (three hour pose) Oil on canvas

There's a bunch of other stuff, but it's really hard to take decent photos. More to come.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oruhito; June 23rd, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oruhito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I can't believe no one has posted yet. I think your studies are excellent and show that you have potential to be truly great, especially since you are only sixteen. You seem to be very focused. Do you have any idea as to specifically what atelier you would like to attend? Please post more of your work, and if it's possible try to get them uploaded at a higher resolution. It's a little bit hard to fully appreciate your work at the moment due to the quality of the photographs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lookin good. there's so much art on CA that most people don't comment for a while in a thread, rather just look.
    your about 10x better than i was when i was 16. your off to a great start. the drawings look great, and the oil studies are great starting points for longer classical works. seems like you have a nice understanding of the block in stage, and a good eye for values. keep it up. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool man, I'd like to see some of your sketches or figure drawings/gestures if you have any

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For 16, you are a very talented kid.
    However, the type of drawing you are doing relies solely on duplicating the appearance of light hitting the figure. You have gained impeccable rendering skills, but I can see that your figures fail without knowledge or practice of actually drawing forms, drawing inside and out, dramatizing values to make the forms more readable etc. Without this, you are completely lost without something in front of you.
    That said, you make an artist that is two years older than you quite jealous of your abilities so far. Combining your rendering talents with form drawing( I don't know if that's what it should be called) is a deadly combo that will allow you to perfectly replicate what you see, as well as allow you to draw from your imagination with confidence.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the cast study- I don't know why you'd hate it. It may or may not be the photo but all the edges seem relatively soft- and you can see some haphazard strokes in the cast shadow. I can't comment on accuracy but the values are pretty solid.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you would see a significant benefit from finishing an oil. Your work is great, but you'll never master painting if you don't finish one.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man - I saw you pop up in another thread and thought I'd check out your stuff. Really nice! You're very fortunate to be able to attend a school and study as you have been - keep at it and I imagine you'll be a household name some day.

I'm curious if you have specific goals or areas of interest yet? Or are you pretty much in a fundamental learning mode? You mentioned Sargent, one of my favorites, any other artists you really dig?

Looking forward to more!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Thanks Oruhito! I'll check out some of those artists you mentioned - I'm familiar with Schiele of course and Rothko, Goldsworthy. Interesting, in some ways Rothko and Goldsworthy are almost polar opposites but in another way they are very similar. I checked out you mentor too - great work. I'm writing up an article for my blog on my influences as well - I'll let you know when I get it posted. Like I said, you're off to a great start - looking forward to seeing where you take it!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry, I can see them.
    I'm deeply impressed by your skill, especially for your age.
    I don't have any valuable advice for you. You seem to be very good at copying Bargue plates and rendering. It's hard to judge your still life painting since the angle off.
    Maybe now that you're so good at representing what you see, it might be time to start to learn how to bend reality in order to increase the desired effect in your paintings.
    But that's just an old fart with no talent talking.

Keep doing what you're doing, don't lose your passion, and eventually you'll become a great painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Great studies. It is clear that you have tons of potential.

Your colours and manipulation of temperature in your oil studies looks very strong, i havn't seen your mentors work but I'm guessing this is his area of specialty? What bugs me in pretty much all your pieces is the values. You pretty much nailed it in your last post when you talked about pushing the values darker and exaggerating nature. This is exactly what must be done. From what I can tell you need to unify your lights and darks a little more, pushing the darks darker making the lights lighter. What you will discover is that you are missing the dark half tones that occur right when you slip out of the shadow, making them too light, and thus breaking the illusion of the value hierarchy that we see in nature. Also the mid tone transitions are lacking development making the forms look very box like and inorganic, probably due to the unorganized state of the extreme lights and darks leading to a shortage of values to render the inbetween stuff. Simplifying the light lights and the dark darks will give you more room to render all the forms in the middle, where all the information is kept.

There are 2 things that you can do which would in my opinion take your work to the next level, that is to do value studies of master paintings and see just how dark those dark half tones should go. and then squint ! Paint(preferably draw first) your values in the same relationships as to how you see them when you squint, you will notice that the majority of your dark halftones get grouped and end up about as dark as the shadow value. You will also see that you have a tendency to over exaggerate reflected lights in shadows. Once you have the values down whilst squinting, your payoff will be to be able to open your eyes and develop all the intricate details you can see whilst still maintaining the unity of the whole.

Hope this is of some help. Take care

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Oruhito. Thanks again for your help on my painting. I really like all your stuff, you seem to be developing very will for a young artist, I wish I had your focus at that age, not to mention the teachers.

Looking forward to your progress in this last painting and in general.

Coyan: Great advice!!

James.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great works i'm jealous hahaha but i'm inspired thx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is a great job. I really like how you have rendered the colour of the rose and table as a reflective light on the cast.

Couple of questions for you if you don't mind. firstly, do you plan your colour scheme. Secondly, do you use chromatic greys (complimentary colours) for the darks, or do you just push toward a cooler shade. Thirdly and finally, do you paint wet on wet?

Thanks

James.M

Last edited by Marine_Blue; June 3rd, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work...You've go talent... its going to be interesting seeing how you progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great figure! Love the still life too! I'll be at GCA in July for 2 weeks - looking fwd to it too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice

Really solid education. Good progress on the still life painting. Are you sight sizing the figure? It's great that you're also practicing Bridgman in your sketchbook - it's a nice balance. Keep it up!

-H

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow very nice works im impressed i wish i was gettin the same training as you in the clasic realm of art what sort of method do you use when your doing your figure work ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff! I like the direction the painting of your friend is going. And the figure is very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great pictures... U are certainly getting great training. Is the figure done on toned paper? Makes me want to try it out! Keep it up. U are doing great.

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one unfortunately doesn´t show - "The photo is currently unavailable"
    The others are great. The still life with the torso and the flower has great atmosphere.

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have so much energy right now! Its probably because you started producing art so young you are developing your identity in art very strongly. I am excited to see your progression =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.