Sketchbook: Grinning Through

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: How your monitor displays my paintings?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think everything is all right.

4 100.00%
  • Too saturated

0 0%
  • Too desaturated

0 0%
  • Too bright

0 0%
  • Too dark

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Grinning Through

Hello there!

If youŽre willing to sacrifice some of your time, IŽll appreciate any critique you can give me, and of course comment on your SB as well.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mr. Smile; January 4th, 2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks

Posemanaics sheet 1

These are posemaniacs.com 30 seconds poses.
    I aim for 1001 bodycount. Here is the first sheet.

Thanks

Concept

IŽm having a little idea on a few pictures from detective / police enviroment. I was shocked when I realised this is my first project from realistic enviroment (you know, drawing all kinds of sci-fi and fanstasy, but never done anything this-world). Also, IŽve always had problems with making concept art that is understandable.

Anyway, this is a first concept for title character, Sergeant Samantha R. Levine. As IŽve said before, any crits or insights will be helpfull and apreciated. (whether its anatomy-wise, concept-wise, or idea-wise). Make me smile =).

Thanks

PM sheet 2

Another posemania!
    IŽm feelin so funky and wonder why she is so bored.

Thanks
    Nice start! Love the gestures, but don't forget more detailed anatomy studies too, from time to time.

Thanks

Pm sheet3

bitjockey: Thanks! IŽll be throwing in a few for sure!

...more!

Thanks
    Well as far as I can see you need to push yourself a little more! The poses are great (I'm doing them too), but you need to strive to do more - even if it isn't every day.. From life is damn important! You can't hear that enough. Just draw what you see around you..

MY SKETCHBOOK

I know it's all been done before, I want to do it again. I want to do it again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kasper_P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kasper_P: You actually moved me to quickpaint my glass of juice. First thing I saw after reading *YOUR* comment. And you are responsible for my dehytratation now, cause I couldnŽt touch it .

Nah, IŽm just kidding, It was fun, so thanks for comment! You made my todays smile!

Last edited by Mr. Smile; December 9th, 2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Made the comment more menacing, with "*".

Thanks
    ...more concepts

Thanks

PM sheet... 4 I guess

...and more gestures

By the way, is there anyone knowing if Toshiba Portege M700 is wacom penabled? IŽm definitely getting this baby soon, but nobody can give a clear confirmation if it even supports pressure levels! Even the internet is blind to this subject. Make me smile!

Last edited by Mr. Smile; December 10th, 2008 at 09:30 AM.

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    pretty good start here mate. Just keep working, keep studying and I'll be back

-E

Thanks

Timefiller

Mischeviouslittleelf: Oh, great, youŽve been to my sketchbook! Makes me smile! Thanks, IŽll keep working hard to see you here again, trust me!

Just a quick timefiller, IŽll go to the pub, but my friend moved our little appoinment for an hour. So, like thirty minutes on this speedpaint. An no, I donŽt draw manga (well didnŽt for about four years now anyway).
    And yes, the hand is cut cause I fucked it up Smile.

Thanks
    Yes okay - before you can even begin to make something that resembles what you were going for you need to have the basics down. Good effort tho. Draw from life!!!

MY SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Very nice start to your sb And hooray for PM marathon gestures! For crits I think you need to watch out for how you are rendering the wrinkles in your clothing. You're using a lot of hatching across the fold lines which gives the material a rougher look. Also watch out for the balance and position of the feet on your characters. In the first set on the left she looks like she's tipping over a little and the second one in that same image she's tipping forward and on her toes. The first one in the second set has her right leg twisted outwards while her hip is cocked in the same direction. I think that would torque the knee quite a bit. But otherwise the concept is looking good! I can't wait to see the other characters. After all a detective story is all about the villian that needs to be caught Keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another PM... IŽve lost count

Kasper_P: Thanks! IŽll be sure to make more stills as soon as time allows.
    zhonked: Thanks very much! Yeah, Posemaniacs are like the best invention since pencil. Makes my coffee breaks so much more usefull!
    I have to admit I rushed the first concept, and out of lazyness I left it as it was. And that is the mistake! IŽll do it again and do it right this time.
    Thanks a bunch for help in the second one though! I knew something was wrong, and it felt somehow stiff, but I couldnŽt put my finger on it.
    Oh and IŽll try to find diffirent way to highlight folds. Thanks for a suggestion mate!

For everybody poppinŽ in, you really make me smile
    Oh aaaaand.... is there anybody knowing anything about the tablet pc from the earlier post? I really want to be sure before buying something this expensive...

Thanks

Another Timefiller

IŽm not much of a Star wars fan, but IŽve seen the original trilogy today (after a few years). And man, I didnŽt know the Bobba survived that snack-fest. (I checked the net).

So IŽve found the nerd inside me, and did a quickpaint to celebrate his survival
    And I tried it without a ref, so there might be some inconsistencies with the char. Sorry about the background.

Thanks
    nice start to your sketchbook, I especially like the shading in post #9, it's so simple and still provides so much information. keep on smiling

Thanks

Hamm Figure

Meilin: Well I am using this technique quite frequently to quickshade (mainly when doing concepts and doodles), but as zhonked pointed out, it should be used only on rougher materials as it gives the hint of texture. Still, thanks for kind words .
    Thanks for stopping by! I surely wonŽt stop smiling now (the grin wonŽt come down anyway). In fact, your gallery is making me smile right now. Those color studies of streets at night are awesome! IŽll be sure to drop by sometime.

Right now I am grinning into Jack Hamms "Drawing head and figure" book. Very similiar to Loomis, but hes got something new here and there. Here are some hand studies that caught my eye and study of a sketch by Ron Tiner.

Last edited by Mr. Smile; December 13th, 2008 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Aaand another timefiller! This time done in work... (so I had more time to polish it).

I was thinking of steampunk something girl, but in the end I decided to remove flying goggles and toolbox =). Oh, again its non-ref. And yes, I'll study some hands, because this is *BAD*. Smile

Thanks
    One more...

Thanks
    Keep going, you're doing great.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    About the poses, did you read what it says below the 30 second drawing application?

"10. Observe your result, and analyse the good point and bad point. Change the style and find the way to conquer your weakness. IT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT"

Now, your poses are almost exactly the same. DON'T just mindlessly do the same thing all over again - consider what could be done differently to gain more gesture, movement, dynamics and line!! The tip that says that you should try to keep the pencil on the paper is good - it forces you to think in forms in stead of lines.. Experiment!

MY SKETCHBOOK

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kasper_P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, this is work assigment (for company's T-shirt). My supervizor said to me it's more like for 7-year olds and that she won't use it. It's a bit stylized yeah, but she sounded more like it's ugly . Ya'll be the judge.

I'll respond later, got to leave this shithole. Smile anyways

Last edited by Mr. Smile; December 17th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    FightingSeraph: Thanks man!
    IŽll keep going... maybe even speed up a bit. Been slacking too much lately.
    Kasper_P: Thanks for a suggestion! IŽve been thinking about more indepth gestures already (three minute ones, outline and shading). IŽll try out that trick. Seems more messy though.
    Oh and thanks for repeated visits, I appreciate it!

Today I was doing some anatomy from mind, to see what to focus on. Yup, it pretty much sucks all . I guess what I need to train most are hands, feet and overall energy of the sketches (do you know of any tutorials on this subject?). I also found out that my torsos tend to be somewhat stretched, got to watch this.

Thick rimmed glasses rule.

Thanks
    Nice new posts I'm glad you are doing personal evaluations and seeing that there are some proportion issues with the figure. Critiquing yourself is the best way to improve in my opinion. Take the same exact drawing and do it again and don't leave it until you get it right. There's no time like as you're drawing to correct yourself and learn. As for tutorials on hand and feet or any anatomy details, I'd suggest the usual set of people: Bridgeman, Loomis, Vilppu, and just plain old drawing from life and photos Vilppu, who was an animator as well, has a real strong emphasis on the gesture and his stuff may offer you some good insight in capturing the energy of a figure. You may want to try some really exaggerated stuff like cartooning or comics to really get the feel for big poses before going back to the really subtle stuff too. The colors on that squirrel are looking good! He looks a bit angry though Too bad she didn't want to use it! You should find out why and then make another version that suits what they want more and try again. The reward would be the awesome feeling of seeing your stuff printed on a t-shirt! Keep up the energy level man! You're doing really good!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The squirell ain't ugly! He looks a bit pissed though like "What are you looking at?"

If you wanna get better at gesture i'd suggest posemaniacs and if you don't like that you could always go out and just draw people in a coffe shop, mcdonalds or whatever place suits you really.

Here's a process vid of Vilppu btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8AoShEHu4

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Imaginary For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Damn my head hurts.

zhonked & Imaginary: Thanks guys! I canŽt wait to look into this Vilppu guy. Unfortunately I caught flu (what a great time to get sick! Damn.) so IŽm pretty much wasting my time laying in bed and watching television. IŽm glad you like the squirell. I think he looks pissed, cause I was pissed at a time... picture with a message, you know

Anyway, as I said, IŽm sick, my head hurts, and I watched too many chritmas movies from the horizontal position... so I got all pissed about not doing anything and did this portrait of my friend. No-brainer really, just what I need right now.

Anyway, have a nice christmas and SMILE!

Thanks

More hands

Screw the flu

Loomis study

Last edited by Mr. Smile; December 23rd, 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks very much for visiting my sketchbook, Mr. Smile!

I'm loving the huge amount of figure drawings you have here. Wow. That must help a lot when it actually comes down to drawing completed figures. I have to say, though, my favorite pieces so far are that glass, and Boba Fett. Way to go!

Keep it up! I'll definitely keep visiting.

Thanks

Flu-matic

Vickie B: Yeah, they will definitely help when IŽll beat 1001th pose. Right now? Dunno .
    YouŽre gonna keep visiting? I should really work on myself now!! And I must thank you back again, because that rancor piece youŽre working on right now inspired me to do this. I love CA, the deepest pool of imagination and creativity!

Anyway, it doesnŽt matter if youŽre good guy or a bad guy person, still, everyone knows that sith just have more style .

SMILE

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4