Multiply/Sponge

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Multiply/Sponge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Multiply/Sponge

I'm relatively new to Painter still, trying to make a switch over from Photoshop because Painter's tools are amazing.

So, I hunted and hunted to find the perfect brush to use to color my line art, which ended up being the smeary wet sponge. I put my line art layer into 'multiply', but the sponge doesn't pay attention to that. It colors right over the lines. Okay, so I figured I'd just leave that one on multiply and color on a layer underneath it. But when I make a new layer, the sponge doesn't do anything at all. On either layer.

What's even more fun is that after I delete the new layer, the sponge still won't do anything anymore. And actually, no tool will do anything.

I can get other tools to work both on the line art layer and on a new layer... so what am I doing wrong with the sponge?

Halp.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the smeary wet sponge requires "paint" to smear so it wont paint on a blank layer

besides that this is not a painting brush it is a texturizer and blender of sorts, try using
    digital watercolor new simple water,
    tinting basic round
    these brushes are more suitable for coloring line art

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

The Sponges' Smeary Wet Sponge variants won't work on transparent areas of a Layer. They use Method: Drip which requires existing color in order to work.

Brush variants that use Method: Plugin also need existing color in order to work.

Open the Brush Controls' palettes (Window menu > Brush Controls > Show General will open all of the Brush Controls' palettes in a docked group).

Then check the General palette to learn what Method the brush variant uses.

If you create a new Layer below your black line work, fill it with white, then change the Layer Composite Method to Gel or Multiply to make the white transparent, you can paint on that Layer because it now has existing color (white) for the Smeary Wet Sponge variant to work with. As long as your Canvas is white, the color applied will look as expected. If you have any other colors below that Layer, you'll see they're darkened where the (now transparent) Smeary Wet Sponge brush strokes pass over that underlying color.

Experiment until you understand how this works.

#

Last edited by Jin; December 5th, 2008 at 02:29 AM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    If you create a new Layer below your black line work, fill it with white, then change the Layer Composite Method to Gel or Multiply to make the white transparent, you can paint on that Layer because it now has existing color (white) for the Smeary Wet Sponge variant to work with.
    THANK YOU!

I read both of your other tips, too.

The problem is that I literally went through every brush in the menu, and the sponge was the only one that gave me exactly the look I wanted. I have a serious lack of patience (and talent) when it comes to coloring, so I need a tool that'll meet me halfway without me having to spend hours blending realistic tones together on the cartoons I draw (ain't gonna happen, sad but true).

But I really appreciate the help from both of you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new to Painter, and really wanted to use this same tool but on a layer of its own without paint behind it, so I just went into the Brush Creator and changed it from Drip to Buildup and lowered the opacity. It's not quite the same look, but for anyone as anal about layering as I am, it's close enough. Plus you can always edit a smudging tool to make it work for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.