hand placement/ drawing style

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hand placement/ drawing style

Hi

I am relatively new. I tend to smudge my sketches a lot ... my style of holding the pencil is quite faulty ... In addition I tend to draw pictures with a lot of lead

i was wondering if you guys could post some of your drawing stances. Heres mine.

Thank you for any response

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woa! Your hand looks so tense. Doesn't it spasm into horrible pain after like ten minutes of drawing?? I hold my pencil so loose that I often just have it flick out of my hand when I'm shading large areas. I can take a pic later.

Oh and put down a clean piece of paper under your hand to seperate you moving hand from the drawing. That will fix the smudge problem...as long as you don't start sliding the clean paper around.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holding your pencil loosely improves flexibility and reduces the chance of rsi

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You smudge paper a lot beacause you hold the pencil very close to the tip like while writing. For drawing I find it better to hold pencil closer to the middle. It allows for much more loose strokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work with a similar grip, not quite as tight maybe but still more of a "writing grip" than a "drawing grip". I've learned to just deal with the smudging. You can try the trick of leaving a piece of clean paper under your hand, though if you move your drawing surface around a lot it won't help. You can try using a painting bridge though that can take a lot of getting used to.

My solution is just to always have a lot of small-diameter stick erasers (like the Pentallic "Tuff Stuff" eraser) on hand at all times to clean up in between my lines.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  hands_mirana.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  48.3 KB

Hold your pencil from the side to force yourself to loosen up (and not smudge) in the beginning gesture stages. Then move to holding it your normal way. If you use a clean sheet of paper under your hand it should reduce smudge, but if you have issues like CCThrom you need to learn to pick the paper up and move it, not slide.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you have issues like CCThrom you need to learn to pick the paper up and move it, not slide.
    Very true! And I know that my way of holding a pencil is not "correct". Btw, I have learned and done it the "right" way, but I have returned to what's comfortable for me.

Icemax, if you're a younger dog than I am, and able to learn new tricks - go for it! If not, I'm just mentioning some ways to deal with it.

Last edited by CCThrom; December 3rd, 2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: over use of "btw"
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, it's tough to think about stopping to pick a paper up while in the heat of things, but it's possible. I only hold my pencil on the side at the beginning, then I go back to the writing way for detail (I probably hold it too close to the tip too...haha).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My grip varies. It's generally a pencil a grip. Thanks to a teacher showing me, I do use the side grip, and very rarely use an underhand grip. It depends on the scale of the picture. If it's letter size or in my sketchbook, it tends to go to pencil grip; if I'm doing a life drawing on 18x24 or so, I tend to do most of it with a side grip or higher up the pencil, then shift to a pencil grip as I progress. I'm still trying to get myself into the habit of using the side and under grips for better control and such.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should try to use the pencil to the side for rendering also. That way, it's an easier transition to using a paintbrush.

You could also try doing fine line drawings with ink using a thin roundbrush. This will force you to hold a tool further away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for the advice everyone

I think i'll try to change my grip ... coz its not just smudging, it hinders my movement as well especially when drawing curves

I have tried the 'pencil to the side' approach .... extremely difficult (but probably the best i think)

There's another approach that ive read about in a book
    Its basically a higher up writing grip with your pinky extended sort of like a pivot ...

wonder if anyone uses it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, on how to hold the pencil, I've found it depends on what you're doing. If I'm drawing small or drawing details (which are small) I tend to really choke up on my instrument (pencil/pen/brush), but if I'm working on a larger scale or in a broader manner (like gestures or filling large areas) I'll pull back a lot more (like as in the "proper" way to hold your tool).

I'm of the opinion that if it works, it works. Just be mindful of any related consequences. For example, if you're gonna continue holding a pencil like you're writing, then place down some paper or wear a glove to prevent smudging and please make sure to take a break and stretch occasionally so you don't end up with a wrist brace later in life!

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Despite what people say, there is no universally correct way to hold a pencil, in my experience it's whatever works best to get the job you want done accomplished. I hold my pencil very much the same way as you, but as I start the initial sketch I hold it towards the middle.

Last edited by Goog; December 4th, 2008 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    Name:  fist.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  45.9 KB
    That.............is priceless!

hahahahahahah

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To stop smudging, if I was really serious about it and couldn't handle the paper, I put painters/general purpose/masking tape on the side of my hand.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.