Flesh Palettes Painter 7

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Flesh Palettes Painter 7

Hello everyone,

I have put together a few Flesh palettes after some of the pros in the Portrait field. Among them my favorite is one after John Howard Sandens.

I have been watching the portraits here and I am seeing a wide variety of Flesh Palettes.

I was wondering, if anyone woud be willing to trade some palettes?

I am sure I might have some of interest. Just a thought

MBStudios

Note for Painter 7

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't every use palets for painting. I tried using them but I found that they got in the way. It would probably be a good exercise for me to paint with a limited pallet . I wonder what other guys use pallets of does everyone use the color picker. I would be interested in seeing what pallet you have collected. The only flesh tone pallets that I have found are the one on the second cd that comes with painter which has all the goodies like extra textures on and one at

http://www.geocities.com/cubic44/skin1.html

but I guess you have already seen that one.

btw this might be useful to find how to repoduce oil paint colors so you can gat pallets out of oil paint books.

http://www.fignations.com/jelisa/tutorials/colors.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Lionel
    I don't every use palets for painting. I tried using them but I found that they got in the way. It would probably be a good exercise for me to paint with a limited pallet . I wonder what other guys use pallets of does everyone use the color picker. I would be interested in seeing what pallet you have collected. The only flesh tone pallets that I have found are the one on the second cd that comes with painter which has all the goodies like extra textures on and one at

but I guess you have already seen that one.

btw this might be useful to find how to repoduce oil paint colors so you can gat pallets out of oil paint books.

I know how to get palettes, what I am trying to find out is if anyone would like to share or trade palettes.

You menion they get in your way... and you use the color picker... not sure what you mean by color picker.

But if you mean what looks like a color wheel of sorts under art materials in Painter 7 then you do use a palette.

Your palette would be to randomly choose a color that best fits the application or painting you are doing.

The difference here is we use a palette or color set as it is termed in Painter 7 that is organized basically in lights and Darks, also Warms and cools.

Abyway, my post wasnt to learn how to create a palette but to trade palettes or color sets with other artist.

BUt thanx for your reply anyway,

MBStudios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: Flesh Palettes Painter 7

Just a note, Palettes in Painter I am speaking of is called Color sets.... just in case I wasnt clear on that.
    However I am used fromt he art world not reffering to them as they do in painter but simply as a Palette.

This may not be confusing to most who read this, but just in case I wanted to be clear.

Thank you

MBStudios

Last edited by MBStudios; October 29th, 2002 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The "Color Picker" in Painter is called the "Dropper" tool. You can access it by pressing the "D" key or selecting the 3rd icon from the left in the bottom row of the "Tools" palette. Use this tool to select a color from any area of an image by clicking on it. One easy method of making a new Color set is to use the "Rectangle" tool (press the "R" key); drag a long narrow selection. Select a warm primary color and a cool secondary one, and fill the selection with a gradient.

Open the "Color Set" section and click on the first icon, choose "Create color set from image". Try different variations of warm and cool colors to quickly make lots of color sets. I sometimes save a copy of any image that catches my fancy, use the "Create color set from image" command to come up with a better color set than the one I might be using at the moment.

Richard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Nzlman
    The "Color Picker" in Painter is called the "Dropper" tool. You can access it by pressing the "D" key or selecting the 3rd icon from the left in the bottom row of the "Tools" palette. Use this tool to select a color from any area of an image by clicking on it. One easy method of making a new Color set is to use the "Rectangle" tool (press the "R" key); drag a long narrow selection. Select a warm primary color and a cool secondary one, and fill the selection with a gradient.

Open the "Color Set" section and click on the first icon, choose "Create color set from image". Try different variations of warm and cool colors to quickly make lots of color sets. I sometimes save a copy of any image that catches my fancy, use the "Create color set from image" command to come up with a better color set than the one I might be using at the moment.
    Yeah I figured thats what He was talking about when He said color picker.... but wasnt sure.... Your tip on gradient color sets was a good one..... I do something simular but your does open some other possibilities so thanx.

But again, not really needing to create color sets as much as I was just looking to see if some of the other artist might share their palettes or as I said in painter terms their Color sets.

MBStudios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realise that you are looking for color sets. I apologise that I don't have any to trade with you as I find they get in my way si I use the color wheel and the eye dropper tool.

I was sugesting a couple of places that you can find flesh tone color sets. The first is linked of this page:

http://www.geocities.com/cubic44/skin1.html
    which contains a link to:
    http://www.geocities.com/cubic44/files/skintones.TXT

which claims to be 'The Sanden Pro-Mix Palette' which I am guessing you already have. (Btw I have his book on portrate painting and it is very good).

The second place where there is a skin tone color set is on the second CD that comes with painter 7 which contains a range of example color set one of which is a skin tones one. I didn't explore the second CD when I got painter and missed it compeltly.

The reason I included that link http://www.fignations.com/jelisa/tutorials/colors.html is because there are a lot of books out there that tell you how to paint skin tones using oil paint and acrilic (Hell I have an aweful lot). If you want to construct a color set from the palets of these artists (As I presume you wanted a good selection of color sets used by different artists) you could use that link to match to colors used in these books to the ones from that link and so get color sets from all maner of great artists.

I apologise for my rathar confusing replies but I also am more used to tradional painting and get very mixed up between terms

Nzlman: That is a very!! cool trick with the gradients will rember that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lionel,
    Thnx for the sugestions.... but for clarification its not what I am looking for....

Yes I agree its easily to get confused on here... so let me clarify just a bit.

Im not looking for random internet color sets.... I was hoping to get to share color sets with Artist here.... see what they are using mostly out of curiousity.

My color sets I have of some of the traditonal artist I mentioned are in fact accurate..... I mixed them myself and matched them to the real thing not from a book or off the interenet as they wouldnt be exactly accurate... as often inked color when printed is not as accurate as actual paint on a palette.

I mixed them on a palette and matched them on the computer as closely as possible and Im proud to say they are near perfect.

I know I could take one of the pics of the artist here at tell it to create color set from, image but this not the same....
    Because of blending and such done by the artist you would end up with colors not even on the artist color set.

So I am hoping to trade... perhaps what I need to do is start doing some more painting here and that might gather some interest.

Oh well I can wait but again thanx for your sugestions I do appreciate it

MBStudios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not just open a new file in painter and use that surface (and a rnd. Camel hair brush and Just Add Water tool.) to actually mix paint like one would on a real-world pallete? I made this pretty fast just to kind of illustrate what I'm talking about; so before anyone jumps on it, I know.. these aren't really accurate flesh tones.
    To me it makes more sense and is more natural to work with than 'picking a color swatch' or using the cheese color wheel in painter. It might also help to keep ones colors harmonized.
    Flesh Palettes Painter 7

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool Idea..hadnt thought to do that but I will play with it a bit thnx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

<if this makes sense>

No problem, I hope it helps.

What would really be nice is if Corel includes a feature like this in a future version of painter, where that 'color pallete' was actually associated with your specific file that you open, and that window kind of floated "on top' of everything like the other interface elements...

...and then if they took it a step further.. to where, when you 'pick up paint' off of your pallete with say a Loaded chisel brush or pallete knife or something, that's the paint that gets loaded; not the random values you normally get now that are based off the color wheel. (which is far from a natural look)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grooveholmes -
    I find the color-swatch / mixing thing is great, once you've established your basic value pattern. I generally stop using colorsets once the block-in has been established...just colorpicking/eyedropping from within the painting -- like your swatch method.

But to get the initial painting working, I usually start with one of my own colorsets, 'cause just using color swatches doesn't always get the values going correctly for me. Everyone works differently, and there are no absolutes...just my observation.

MB, Lionel - interesting to see links to my old geocities site and that experimental Sanden palette... gotta update that geocities site and get people over to my newer one...not that I've been able to update the new one much...ah well, so it goes...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.