two or more colors on brush

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: two or more colors on brush

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me get this right.
    You mean like that?
    The closest I could think of was maybe you could make a nozzle, but that would be really annoying.
    Oh! What you could do is take a layer (layer 2, lets say) and put it over the canvas or another layer. With that top layer, turn its mode to "Magic Combine". Now all you have to do is just paint in black on the layer below it, or the canvas. Just fill in the magic combine layer with some random colors (you can go into gradients and just start splattering some colors on).

The problem with this though, is you can't overlap, so you couldn't create depth. Sorry, best I could do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply mos667. Yeah, like that. But I don't think layering is what I'm looking for. When painting with real paints, you can put two or three colors on a brush or palette knife to achieve some very realistic effects. For instance white, blue, black on a palette knife for mountain ranges. This makes great ridges and valleys in your mountains. White and blue, great for glaciers. Gold or yellow with various greens are good for evergreen tree branches at a distance. etc. It also creates the depth I'm looking for. It just creates a better effect than say, putting one color on top of or beside another and trying to blend them.

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I know what you're talking about, I'm still playing around with the brush creator. I've got some interesting results though

I was using the wet acrylic size 30 for this one, it had a really nice effect.

This is kind of fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi folks,

Ways to paint with more than one color:

Method One

Adjust the Hue, Saturation, and Value sliders in the Color Variability palette. Using this method, you can set the Color Variability to HSV, to RGB, or base it on a Gradient or Color Set (both of the latter two you can set up to suit your needs by creating a custom Gradient or Custom Color Set).

For an example, take a look at the tutorial on one of my websites, PixelAlley, Mixing Two Colors on a Brush to Paint Hair.

Method Two

Read the Painter 8 User Guide, Chapter 6 Painting, the section named Creating Two-Color Brush Strokes beginning on page 107.

Method Three

Also read the section named Loading Multiple Colors beginning on page 108 of the same chapter. This method may also be useful at times.

General Tips

Don't forget that, among other settings, adjusting Opacity, Grain, Resat, Bleed, your choice of Paper texture and setting adjustments made in the Papers palette may help you to get the results you're looking for, for a specific painting.

Have fun!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi mos667, that is a great effect. Is that all with one brush? It's something like I'm looking for, although I need to do more curved and straight lines. The one you have here has kind of a stained glass effect. It would possibly go well on the domes of the ice castle I'm working on. Not that I would use it, as it's your creation. Actually, I was wondering earlier if I could create a brush that would pick up two or three colors. Or what a person needs is an eyedropper that picks up three colors and transfers it to the brush. I'll have to keep working on it I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not my creation at all, you can go ahead and make it. All you have to do is take the Acrylics-> Wet Acrylic Brush 10,20, or 30. Then just take the Saturation and Value sliders, and put them at 50 (You can find these under Color Variability). Go ahead and use it, anyone could make that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mos667, I might try your brush on my castle domes, also thanks for helping with the brushes. With this information I hope to come up with a brush for the mountain effect I'm looking for.

Thanks Jin, you're a great help, as always. With a bit of messing around in painter 8, I should be able to come up with the effects I want. btw are the painter courses you teach, online courses?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nikia,

Yes, I teach Painter classes in private class forums at TutorAlley Forums.

I haven't opened Painter 8 classes for enrollment yet but I'll make an announcement when they're ready for enrollment, along with brief descriptions, schedules, and fee information.

We also have open forums for both students and non students who are serious about learning Painter or continuing to learn more about Painter. The URL is below my signature if you want to join, but please fill out the profile fields with specific information. There's a link at the top of the page when you register that takes you to a page that explains what kinds of information are needed and why. Nothing that invades anyone's privacy, just info that helps us to know something about our members and helps us to gear our forums and Painter classes to give them the best support.

Do take time to experiment with Painter's brush variants. Though it seems daunting at first, it's really a lot of fun and you'll be glad to have learned more about how to get the effects you want.

Happy Painting!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jin, I might look into your classes when they come up. Took a look at some of the paintings on pixelAlley. Pretty good. I especially liked the ones your granddaughter did. The next time my grandson comes up, I'll have to get him going on painter. He's three and pretty well knows his way around a computer. It'll be pretty interesting to see what these young folk can do by the time they hit their 20's. Should be some amazing stuff coming up in the future I should think!

Oh, by the way Jin and mos667, I've managed to make a palette knife that does a pretty good job on creating the mountain effect I was looking for. It's a bit wishy washy at first, but second or third coats fix that. It needs a bit more tweaking to get it exactly right. Like how to load more and thicker paint on the knife and how to achieve a narrower angle when doing strokes to the right. All which I will work out in time. Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by nikia; November 26th, 2003 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post it Nikia, I'd love to see it .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to mos667, but don't know how! lol I usually get my son Adien to post my work for me, but he's working full time now and I'm on the waiting list for when he gets time to show me how to do it! I'm still refining it and will write down and post how I made the palette knife to this thread. So far I've basically followed Jin's instructions for doing hair, with a few variatons. I will also post the mountains when I get ahold of Adien. lol, sometimes that's the hardest part. Getting in touch with Adien that is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I kind of had to scrap this idea for now. I got the knife I created to give me some good 3d effects when painting mountains and trees, but everytime I tried going back to one color on the knife or a flatter style, I got nothing but pixels all over the place. I could get rid of the pixels by hitting the undo button at first, but eventually the paint wouldn't stay on the area I had tried to paint. No idea why. I have to mess around with it more.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.