CANADIAN ART SCHOOLS? (for international students)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question CANADIAN ART SCHOOLS? (for international students)

Okay, I'm getting to the end of my admissions process for British universities and I've always wanted to keep ALL my options open for future education. I was once going to emigrate with my family to Canada and after the idea was scrapped (damn u ecnomy!) I kinda set my heart on going there one day.

NOW seems like the perfect time to think about the long term future and since I know nothing at all about Canadian uni's (or colleges/art schools.. whatever they're called), I NEED SOME HELP! :s Where do I even start looking?

I'm very interested in illustration, primarily with the aim to design for film (although I'm not saying I want a course specifically designed for this reason) and would love any suggestions for schools over there.

I honestly know nothing about Canada, I've never even been over the pond but I did enough research years ago to fall in love with the place/climate.(OMGITSNOWSINWINTER) I have a limited amount of time to decide because whatever I go for starts in Sep/Oct next year so I have under a year to be convinced that Canada (or America?) is a good idea.

SOOO.. SPAM ME WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm the Director of Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto, and protocol on this site demands that I do nothing more than give you our web site. We also have a thread on this forum. However, our 4 year diploma program in Concept Art for Animation and Video Games may be what you are looking for.
    We have current students at Max the Mutt from Great Britain, Germany, Switzerland, and Spain. I'm sure they'd be happy to connect with you by email.

If you check the website and want more information, feel free to post on the Max the Mutt thread or fill in the request for information form on the website.

Good luck in your search for the right school for you!

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by etoeto View Post
    I'm very interested in illustration, primarily with the aim to design for film (although I'm not saying I want a course specifically designed for this reason) and would love any suggestions for schools over there. D
    in Ontario, OCAD or Sheridan, Sheridan is supposed to be more picky about students, so do your best and try both.
    I've seen several people from Sheridan, and their artwork was amazing (they both improved a lot since university days, though), and one guy from ocad - he's great too. It could be quite pricey for you as international student - read $ 20 k x 3 (4? ) years.
    However, you'll have to work a lot on your own time to move both in the direction set by your school and the direction you're going to work at, if you know what I mean.
    Btw, several other canadian schools were discussed here, includin Capilano in Vancouver.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sheridan woot woot! I'm in the animation program we have this small thing rivalry with the illustration program all in good fun tho. Their work is great and the other school I hear bout in Toronto is OCAD. Not sure about the unis really just that there are many fine arts programs.
    Snow is the bane of my existance! Shoveling driveways is what we look forward to in the long boring winter. I kid you'll love it!

Last edited by Demonique768; December 2nd, 2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Winter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The art schools that everyone knows about are
    Sheridan
    OCAD
    Emily Carr
    Max

But, like most illustration programs, they don't really teach film design.
    Sheridan especially is more focused on editorial or book illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the info guys!! i may apply to a couple and see what happens!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I've heard good things about sheridan and ocad. Make sure you meet the requirements for an international student as they're a little different compared to local students.

From OCAD
    For international applicants:
    Secondary School Graduation equivalent to Grade 12 in Ontario and:

From countries with English as the official language of instruction, a minimum grade of B or 70% numeric equivalent in English 12 or equivalent.

From countries with a language other than English as the official language of instruction, applicants are required to present a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or equivalent test (TOEFL and equivalent test scores). International students must have a valid Study Permit (student visa) and valid University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) before registering at OCAD. (Please also review additional requirements below.)

Also Toronto is a pretty great city, and yes we do get cold winters. Snow may seem fun at first but then it becomes a big annoyance. But if you can get past the delays, dress warm and possibly even take up snowboarding winter might not bother you too much. And yeah it may be pricey as an international student, so you may have to find a job and put in quite a few hours to pay for living expenses and schooling. Anyways best of luck to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why go to Canada? International students have to pay INSANE amounts of money, and as the sticky says - you could go to the smallest art college and be the best. It does not matter which school - it matters how much you want it.

Now knowing that - why put the extra pressure on yourself by going to a foreign country and paying 20k/year for the same thing you can get in your hometown + advice on these forums.

Unless your parents are willingly paying for this, don't bother. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He said he wanted to move to Canada anyways.
    Besides, his home town may not have an art college. Not every place in the world is like America, with colleges and community colleges in every town.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyerOrdStar View Post
    He said he wanted to move to Canada anyways.
    Besides, his home town may not have an art college. Not every place in the world is like America, with colleges and community colleges in every town.
    yeh, id love to go there one day. be it now or emigrating in a few years time after uni. btw, im a 'she' XD

I've not said I'm definitely going to do this, I just wanted somewhere to start looking because I don't know diddly squat about canadian education. But thanks to y'all, I've seen alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alexashka, international students at Max the Mutt do NOT have to pay insane amounts of money! Our tuition is posted now on our web site. As a school founded by artists and animators, our mandate is to be available to talent, i.e. as affordable as possible without compromising the quality of the education we offer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i heard college is way cheaper in canada (even for international students)
    at least no where near 30k a year...

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by alicedanding View Post
    i heard college is way cheaper in canada (even for international students)
    at least no where near 30k a year...
    12 - 20 k/year usually, you can check it at the college websites
    btw, most of the colleges have got university status recently, like capilano, emily carr, etc.etc.etc.

sheridan is the most expensive one afaik

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine Schacker View Post
    Alexashka, international students at Max the Mutt do NOT have to pay insane amounts of money! Our tuition is posted now on our web site. As a school founded by artists and animators, our mandate is to be available to talent, i.e. as affordable as possible without compromising the quality of the education we offer.
    however, they're doomed to read insane amount of advertizing here
    it's really, really annoying

Quote Originally Posted by etoeto View Post
    yeh, id love to go there one day. be it now or emigrating in a few years time after uni. btw, im a 'she' XD
    Where're you from?
    Because I'd consider digging Britain if you're from European Union, you won't have to pay the full tuition (from what I remember, not more than 5 - 7 k pounds/year), and there should be some really good schools.

Last edited by ikken; December 10th, 2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar, damn it

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out NSCAD University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. http://www.nscad.ns.ca/

Members who have read this thread: 1