Concept Art and Photo-Manipulation??
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concept Art and Photo-Manipulation??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Concept Art and Photo-Manipulation??

Alright, So I started working with photoshop back when CS2 came out (On and off for the most part) and when CS3 came out I moved on to that. I've been working with it more and more, and almost everything memorable I have done has been photo-manipulation.
    I have tried getting into making more things from scratch, and working towards "digital painting", but I keep getting pulled back towards photo-manipulation cause I love it so much

The question I'm left with is:

Can you create concept art through photo-manipulation? Or at the end of the day is it still just photo-manipulation?

Here's a link to some of my stuff on deviant art if you're interested

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Concept art needs to be generating new ideas and novel shapes. The concept artist needs to be versatile enough to illustrate pretty much anything, in every position.

Using photo manipulation as the main tool for concept art is kind of pointless, since you'd just be sticking a few things together that wouldn't really flow. Not only that, you're entirely limited to the images you can find, unlike when you actually DRAW something and you're only limited to the things you can imagine.

EDIT: Yes I know matte painters and some concept artists use some photo manipulation but they either use it sparingly or have the skills to use it right, alongside their illustration skills.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    working with photomanipultions will greatly limit your ability as an artist, as a lot of things are already taken care of for you.

also, ethically you can run into some issues if you use pre-existing images in your manipulations.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be the contrarian and say pursue whatever technique/medium appeals to you and makes you happy. Photomanipulation is widely used both in the commercial and fine arts spheres. Do be aware that the more you understand perspective, anatomy, light, etc, the better you will be at combining and manipulating photos, and the less likely you are to end up here.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can use photomanips, but I'm going to second the opinion that to be doing it seriously you need to use your own photos or purchase the right to use others.

What you're doing right now...doesn't seem to be much in the way of manipulation. The ratio of your input to what is already there is pretty low. Take a look at matte painting to see what ideally the ratio should be in a concept art job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright,
    So i'll be working on making my own stuff for a bit, but it's good to know that I can still use photo manipulation
    I had never heard of matte painters combining the 2 =O
    Thanks a lot

Members who have read this thread: 2