Thanks

wacom tablet question

I have a question i know there has been discution about tablets and since i am getting interested in getting into art i thought it would be a good idea to get one. also it seems like 4x5 would be a good size from what I have heard from some people. but what i was wonder was what the levels mean like on the graphire3 it has 512 levels and costs 99.95 and the intuos2 has 1024 levels and cost 199.95. also one of the reason i am looking at the smaller ones is because i dont know if i should really be dumping alot of money into it yet since i dont totally know if i will suck or just need practice. well just give me some feedback
    -Devilchild1017 a.k.a. Ben

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    also one of the reason i am looking at the smaller ones is because i dont know if i should really be dumping alot of money into it yet since i dont totally know if i will suck or just need practice
    You can get pretty adept at painting with a mouse.
    And you should draw with pencils as well.
    That's the better way to "get into art" IMHO.

Some of the professionals write that bigger is better.
    When artists say that Intuos tablets are better they mean the bigger ones.
    I never read that the pressure levels make a big difference.

Thanks
    If youre getting into digital art you should in my oppinion get the best tablet you can afford, working with a mouse is not something you want to waste your time with. Get a tablet.

But bigger isnt always better, i hear alot of artists complaining about the size of their tablets, while others love to work on the really huge ones, i suppose it´s a matter of taste. I have heard that the graphire3 is a good buy for beginners, and well worth the money.

The more levels you have the smoother the preassure sensitivity gets, smoother is better.

Thanks
    one more question, do you think then if i get the graphire3 should i get the 6x8 instead of the 4x6, i can afford $200 and plus its christmas soon, bigger usually equals better so i am probably gonna go for the 6x8 so thanks myself also if you have any other tips or suggestions i am open ears
    -Devilchild1017 a.k.a. Ben

Thanks
    I think you can get an intuos2 4x6 for 200$, that would probably be a better buy then the larger graphire3, but im not sure. Im going to get a new wacom soon, so i have done some asking around. Theres a lot of features on the intuos2 that you would miss on the Graphire, but that doesnt make the graphire bad. Get some more oppinions before you decide is my advice.

Thanks
    I highly recommend the Intuos2 6x8 (USB). I've been using mine for about a year and a half and it's awesome. It retails for $350 but you can find them for $300 (give or take). These tablets will last you ten years or more with proper care so they're well worth the investment. 6x8 is also an excellent size since most drawing is done from the wrist anyway. The overall size of the 6x8 is 10"x12.5", about the size of a standard sketchbook.

Just remember, you're purchasing a drawing tool, not "talent in a box." The important part is knowing what needs to be done, the rest is just figuring out how to use the particular medium you're working with.
    bgStudios American Phill
    msnm: fivepiece@hotmail

Thanks
    If you're just getting into art, a tablet isn't something you should be concerned with just yet. It's a fact that if you aren't skilled with a pencil and paper, your work on a tablet will be just as poor. Develop your skills with pencil/pen/marker/charcoal/pastel/etc first, and buy a tablet in a couple years.