Thread: Your Best of 2008

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Your Best of 2008

The Following is a Game. Here are the rules:

1. Post the best art images (however many you feel deserve mention, but no more than 4) of the last person to post, looking through their sketchbook/finally finished threads, etc. Work selected must be submitted during the year 2008.

2. Work posted must be accompanied by the reasoning for the choice - don't just post an image, say something. This thread isn't meant so much to praise as to learn.

3. You can post more than once, but you may only discuss a specific member's work once. Don't post new works by the same person over and over again. That way, every time you post, someone new will get to talk about your work.

4. As 2008 isn't over yet, feel free to edit your posts, should a better artwork come along between now and January.

5. If you haven't submitted any work in the year 2008, you can't play.

EDIT: Okay, I seem to have been skipped. Okay, Bhanu gets to be first for the crit!

EDIT 2: I changed the title which seems to be causing confusion. This thread isn't about the site's absolute best art, but the best of whoever happens to be posting here.

Last edited by TASmith; November 24th, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    TASmith I know what you are trying to do...you just want see them hot eye andy pictures...now doncha???
    hah.... ME TOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bhanu, it looks like I'm goin first. I'm really having a hard time picking out which of your works I like the most, since there's so much to choose from. I'm going to break my first rule and post several favorites, because I think it's required for anyone to get an understanding of your work. Here are some things I see in your work that I like:

1. Normal physical laws don't exist in your work. You work figuratively, but you remember it's mark making on paper, and so you have fun with it. You warp perspective, anatomy, cut people in half, have then going into walls, etc. It's very liberating - and it's an important lesson for artists. No matter how realistic you want to draw, always remember it's not real. Be aware of what the natural laws are, and how you can bend/break them to make magic.

2. You're heavy emphasis on mark making is very strong. The marks tell the story in each piece. They're very rarely beautiful in a traditional sense, but they more than make up for this in their close examination of a subject, exxageration, abstraction, etc. I particularly like when a collection of overlapping, ovoid scribbles just perfectly describes a face or torso, and I like how you treat different parts of the body differently. There's a very symbolic use of mark making going on. It's very expressive and honest, in a fun, juvenile way.

3. Your overall themes seem to be insanity, desire, self-esteem, and claustraphobia, which you handle well. Your imagery is compelling, and action oriented. You don't portray specific people so much as iconic people, and much of what's happening, the emotions, etc, connects with the viewer.

If I were to suggest anything, it'd be to work on your comics with pen, building the figures the way you do in your sketches, and then color them the same way you did Sketch's works. I think it'd make for a very strong series. Let's see, here are some of your best:

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by TASmith; November 24th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This really is pointless with the fact that we have an exclusive sketchbooks section, a best of CA section (which I may note has post dates so you can see if it was selected with in this year), and a new free for all thumbnail gallery system that lets you sort by most voted and most viewed....

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Robert.B, you might wanna (re)read this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh* man, no one's playing...

Is it too late for you two to edit your posts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TA I guess what im missings is whats the relevent difference bewteen of us talking about them in the lounge vs commenting in the these persons threads instead with them possibly missing all the contrsuctive praise? Even if you lay down ground rules by limiting it to 08 posts it still leaves the question open. I guess what im saying is it would be better if the selected artist had emediate notice of there mention becasue it could really help them to know of thier successes. Thats just my opinion which doesnt mean much so continue on..

Last edited by Robert.B; November 24th, 2008 at 02:26 PM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's not fair Robert, you've got too many to choose from.

TA Smith, I don't think this game will work - some sketchbooks are huge. Maybe if you narrowed it down to the last four pages it might work.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a big effort. The way I see it, you can take as much or as little time as you want choosing. If you want to view the last 4 that's fine, but say so. And also, this thread doesn't need to be played so quickly. We can take some time with these posts.

This is different from just commenting in a sketchbook because it's a year end review, and it's everyone's combined with reasoning behind it - i.e. something we can learn from

And, people will expect a reply because they will have posted first.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have trouble looking through a lot of sketchbooks because they are so big, even in one year. I'll be starting a new one next year and I'm only on page 5 or 6. It's daunting looking through 40 pages or so - I want to be drawing myself after 3 pages.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I support this thread and the idea behind it. Therefore I will contribute, also partly because this explicitly does NOT follow the usual pattern of the threads in the CC, the SB and the FF-section.

Ok Mr. Smith, I guess it's your turn. I took a little peak into your scetchbook every now and then so I think I am a bit on par with your overal development the past half year at least. I took the liberty to watch again and several things came to my mind:

+ Your definate biggest asset is your continuity. You work hard and every day on your scetches. That's also the reason why there's such a shitload of them in your scetchbook @_@. Anyways, you're driven, and that's GOOOD!

+ your sense of proportions is sound, especially with the figure. Your legs seem about the right length, so do your hands etc. Whatever you draw, it becomes recognizable, which I guess is good too.

+ You use diverse and different media, paint and draw and all that. Being diverse and experimental is good, espescially like your oils, that as the reason for me to attach that painting of yours.

however:

- When firtly seeing your scetchbook, i had the impression that you are actually getting worse at some point. At the end of last year, you were so much more patient with your studies, and with the observation of your subject it is kind of sad to see you rushing things like this atm. It seems you are cranking out studies for the sake of it and you tend to loose the eye for quality on the way. It's something that frequently happens to me too, don't get me wrong, but in my view the first and foremost skill for any one wanting to get better at one particular skill lies in patience. Learn to sit down and draw the time _that is takes_ it might not be done in 10 minutes or so, sometimes you have to spend dozens of hours at one particular drawing. Be calm, enjoy the moment and let that teach you the patience you need.

- Your studies of other peoples works is crude and not very focussed. Taking the last cicinimo-study, for example, there's really nothing particularly taken from the original. The proportiones look ifferent, the hatching is way more rough and uncontrolled. Set yourself a goal when doing such things and keep at that.

- subject matter: Before it was nice, seeing those silly folk-dancers and your lifestudies from school, but now this flood of portraits doesn't do it for me. For one, you don't nearly have enough grip on the basic shape of the head to aquire a sound illusion, and for second, they look rather poorly chosen from magazines and such, considering the lighting and the prototype. The Loomis-head was a step in the right direction, but you somehow went back on your usual path after that.

- You use a lot of flat greens in your forest-paintings. That may be personal taste, but the convention about this kind of subjects is to tone down the green and go more for a brownish.etc. Unless you're super-tight with color. Then you can do that.

Best of what I've seen sofarATTACH]526967[/ATTACH]

All in all I think you were successful in establishing a drawing-habit, making art your life, which is an amazing step, the improvement will come next for sure. I just think you can make it come faster with slowing down with your hand and take your time to look.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ~Faust~; November 24th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I gotta go and produce some good art for once.
    I feel a bit ashamed for being a part of this community and not making any progress.

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.