Painter 7 Problems... Help Please!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter 7 Problems... Help Please!

I'm really trying to play with Painter to color in some sketches and I've run into a big problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Often times it doesn't. I'm not aware that anything different is going on but most of the time when I try to paint with water color the program just closes without saving or anything. Just crashes. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem. I've also updated the service pack and such too. Did it several times and reinstalled it over and over. Still, same problem. Really getting pissy as you could imagine.

Ryan

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

It's always good to state your complete system specs, OS version, and Painter version number (including the update/patch, if any) when posting questions. This is because the answers will vary depending on what you have.

In the meantime, here are some suggestions that may help.

Uninstall Painter 7, install the Painter 7 Update - Follow all of these steps to help prevent problems:

1. Move any files you created into a backup folder somewhere outside of the Painter 7 folders.

2. Uninstall Painter 7.

3. Manually delete any remaining Painter 7 folders and files.

4. Reboot.

5. Install Painter 7 and don't open it even one time.

6. Install the Painter 7 Update.

7. Reboot.

8. Check to see if the Painter 7 Update was installed correctly. The version number should be 7.1.357. In Windows you can check the version number as follows: In your file manager, highlight the Painter7.exe file, right click and choose Properties, click the Version tab and in the lower left panel highlight Product version. In the lower right panel, you should see 7.1.357. I don't know how it's done on Mac's but someone here should be able to tell you if you don't know already.

9. If the version number is correct, launch Painter 7.

Other things to do:

Delete the Painter.ssd file (Windows) or Painter Script Data file (Mac). This is the default Painter Scripts library file and the next time Painter 7 is launched, it will generate a new, empty Scripts library. This file tends to become corrupted sometimes and keeping it small helps to make Painter run more smoothly.

After each Painter session, go to the following folder and check the file size of the Pre-built Brush File:

Painter 7 > Brushes folder

If it's large, delete it and it will be regenerated the next time Painter 7 is launched. This file is used to store brush information to make brush building faster (Painter has to build the brush when you select it). If it's deleted, no harm is done and if it's allowed to grow too large, it can slow down Painter's performance and cause other problems as well.

I delete it if it's over 1 MB but that may not be necessary depending on your system resources.

It grows large very fast when certain brush variants are used. For instance, in less than 20 minutes testing the Impasto variants, my Pre-built Brush File grew from its base size of 113 kb to over 60 MB.

Inside Painter, go to Edit > Preferences > General and set the Auto Save Scripts for [ ] days to a lower number if you have it set to the maximum of 10 days. It takes up memory to save a lot of scripts and Painter records them automatically for each session.

Also, go to Edit > Preferences > Undo and set the number lower if you have it set to the maximum of 32. This also takes up memory and can affect Painter's performance.

Keep your default Painter Brushes brush library in its original condition by creating custom brush categories for your custom brush variants, then moving the custom brush categories and their accompanying .JPG icon image files into custom libraries. (Create the custom brush categories inside Painter, then create the custom libraries in your file manager and move the custom brush categories into your custom brush libraries, also in your file manager.)

Also keep your art materials libraries in their original condition by using the Movers to create custom libraries and moving the icons for your custom art materials into your custom libraries, then deleteing them from the default libraries.

Hope this helps.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.