Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Get back'

So,
    Mostly settled here in Japan. Things are crazy for sure, life is an absolute mystery. I will say this, don't paint people you know unless you have their permission to post online, otherwise you'll end up like me with decent content and no legal way to post it.

Also, have yet to get my scanner up and running over here. But in the meantime I do have some photos of Japan to share if interested.

http://awanderingartist.wordpress.com/

Here's to getting back into it!

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Progress

So,
    I figured living in Japan would supply me with the motivation I needed to create great artwork. How very specific our needs can be for motivation.

I highly suggest to anyone who thinks an absolute life altering change is necessary for a breakthrough to slightly reconsider. Define what makes you happy and accommodate it into your life. Even if you "think" you've found what makes you happy, be 100% sure, and "know" instead.

Granted, I'm comfortable enough, but true inspiration takes more. Then again, I'm somewhat out of my mind, so my views may differ greatly from yours.

Also, the subject matter may also be a reason for my lack of speed in my latest work. These are portraits of local people I know here in Japan.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Michaelsama; September 18th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.
    My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pump it out

Hey sketchadoo's,
    So, shortly here I'll be entering into the world of oil painting. I'm very stoked to get started. But, I just like sketchin for the most part. So tonight I did a sort of speed painting exercise. The first I drew without erasing, period. I limited myself to two brushes. I just wanted to get something out of my head.

This worked really well because the next I was much more comfortable with and even though it took a bit more time to set up the angle and everything I wasn't stressing over it. All in all, I just enjoyed sketchin tonight.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Getting work out.

Despite the fact that I have some self destructive tendencies, I refuse to give up on art. I've been sketchin alot in my little art book, but I've been too lazy to get set up with a scanner over here yet. Anyways, just busted out this work because I need to further study the back muscles for a piece I'm workin on.

Last edited by Michaelsama; October 10th, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
    My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Landscapes

Dear Landscapes,
    I hate you! Why are you so dang difficult? I need to do a landscape per day or something, but only spend like 15 min or so on each, just to pump some work out. I worked on this piece until the battery died on my laptop... well, the 20% warning came up at least.
    I did this painting on location at a place called kanondake. It was absolutely gorgeous.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Saturday Already

Time is flying!
    So I had my first art meet with a group of highly esteemed Japanese oil painters. We planned out the rest of our sketch meets. Next one is going to be during a Fall Colors festival! I just got set up with all my oils and whatnot. It sucks having to reinvest in equipment I already own back in the states, but as you all know, it will definitely be worth it. It's an absolute nightmare figuring out how to get this ol' Japanese scanner to work. I literally have to install a virtual emulator to use the scanner because it's incompatible with friggan windows 7. All else fails I will resort to a camera. Anyways, I figure I might as well post something just to rub it in your face that I'm sketching and your not, haha. Now take that anger and draw something bad ass!

These are some simple loomis sketches.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fed Up

So,
    I've been working on getting this Japanese scanner working with Windows 7, but no matter what I do, I can't get it to work. I know exactly how to, but I really don't want to spend the time to do it. I would much rather be drawing. Also, I could buy a compatible scanner, but I'm stingy these days do to those evil evil college loans. So, here are the sketches I have been updating. Sorry for the crappy camera work. I need to get some better light for this stuff as well.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Workin

Just sketching traditionally in my free time while working on my digital stuff. I'm still really loving the ball point pen feel. I missed out on the last CA workshop in Texas because of my damned wisdom teeth. I really wanted to go to the Amsterdam one, but I'm just too poor. At least I can still invest in the tutorials or online classes here though.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ugg

This week I've been really sick...
    I read through some tutorials and I put in some hard work on my large scale project which I hope to unveil here on CA in December if all goes according to plan. But, here's a lame post for this week.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Perspective

I took some sick leave this past week and used the time to do some various studies. I actually sketched a ridiculous amount, but I don't think I'll post it all, simply because I have various sketchbooks at this point and it's a real pain!

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up whit studies and remamber practise makes good

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CRYPT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Too much

So,
    As always I've bitten off more than I can chew. I'm working on more projects than I have the time for and I'm honestly wondering when I'm going to get caught up. I'm working on an oil painting for the art league here, a portrait for my folks, and all of my personal projects; which God willing will someday see the light of day. My only question is, when am I going to start getting paid for art again? That's the one I need to figure out to salvage my direction in life.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I couldn't help myself.

Dude...
    I made a steam punk pinnochio!

I'm still working on my other paintings, but I busted this out for fun.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So,
    Maybe I'm cheating, you tell me, but I've even seen pro's do this on CA so I'll do it too. I was looking for some subject matter for a post this week and I figured I'll kill two birds with one stone and participate in a weekly sketch thing as well as use it as a post for my sketchbook. Sue me!

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Parents Finished

I've finally finished the portrait for my parents. I used a special printing company that uses and acrylic printer and stretched canvas. Almost as good as traditional. Anyways, spending a bunch of time back home trying to line up work to get out of Japan. I want to work in the industry again more than ever. I just need to find a position that will allow me to have a life as well as pay my bills.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back in Japan

I got pretty sick while I traveled home. My life is sort of in shambles at the moment. It will continue to be until I can devote my life to art I think. Anyways, I know it takes guts to pursue your dreams. I've been wary about posing nudity on this page because family and other who view the page. But we as artists all know how important the nude studies are, and those who don't understand it have alot to learn anyways. The legs are a Hogarth study and the female is from observation. I grabbed my copy of Dynamic Figure Drawing from home so I'm happy to have that back. So, here we go.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Friday

Oh,
    This has been quite a month. I'm making some drastic changes and getting back to what's really important... I think. Anyways, it's Friday night in Japan, so what am I doing. POSTING!!! Also, I'm just now getting my hands dirty in zbrush, of course I could paint over some crazy cool monster looking dude, but I'm taking my time and building up the features from memory.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ugg

A rather disappointing week on the art front, however I've been writing like crazy which is something. Also, I just feel gross if I don't post something up here. A little progress is progress all the same.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Plain...

I feel as if I should share my art mentality with you. You might be the only people out there that care or appreciate it. But I just created this plane the other day. After doing it I realized, hey, I actually made that thing. It's taken awhile to get to this point. It's not that amazing, I agree with you, but for someone who's dabbles in fantasy and life sketches and never digitally drawn a plane before, I was happy. My point is this. I've come to the point now where I'm drawing whatever I want to and not thinking about whether I can or can not do it. That's pretty great considering art isn't a state of what's possible but a persons interpretation of what should be. I mean, I've always drawn what I wanted so that in itself isn't that groundbreaking, but I just pray that it can continue that way. My idea of hell is having to draw up and present someone else's ideas through my art, for example through advertising. Unless of course it's for something or someone that I myself was passionate about. It sounds selfish, but at least I'm being honest.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This week in art...

So,
    I had I a strange occurrence this week. I was having a really rough time drawing anything for myself. I had one school where I drew a pokemon in a students notebook, unfortunately the teacher saw and gave me a stack of 8 others, so I spent my lunch drawing pokemon. I busted those mofo's out and actually learned a thing or two. Anyways, when it came to drawing something for myself, something personal, I could not do it. In fact, I attempted to force myself to draw one evening and it turned out awful. My character was all lumpy and wasn't proportional. Anyways, fast track to today. I found out I had a three day weekend I didn't even know about so I called some friends to travel around, but those plans fell through. SO, I was going to go buy a PS3, but, Japanese ones don't play U.S. bluerays so I decided against it. Anyways, I ended up coming to the conclusion that I was not going to sleep until I drew something worth a damn, and so I came up with this. It's a new banner for my portfolio site that I've been intending to do for a long time now. It pretty much describes how I feel about art sometimes. I feel like I'm fighting it or something instead of enjoying it like I truly want to. There is still so much I would like to do with it, but at least I busted something out, and that's what matters.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yo

Hey,
    So for those of you that wonder why I've been rare to post here these days, it's because I'm busy actually doing art instead of attempting to pull teeth from CA.
    While frequently updating a 'digital' sketchbook can be a good habit you can also waste a lot of time and get distracted by internetz, know what I mean? Anyways, here's a recent collaboration between myself and my friend Micheil Salmons: an up and coming gallery artist out of Flagstaff, AZ.
    Enjoy.

My Sketchbook, Plunge
    < < すぱだか > >
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quite crazy levels of progress in 2 pages sir!
    You started out doing very simple sketches and youre already making complex colour imagery. impressive.
    keep up this pace for another 2 years, working it every day or as often as possible, and youll be kicking ass. youve got the right attitude which makes it inevitable.

I noticed in one of your early posts you were having htis issue: The only way that I can figure to add shade without having the color overlay my lines is to use opacity.

Thats easily solved if you havent already; either make the lines layer a Multiply layer and put it on top of all the other layers, or draw over the lines on a new multiply layer. either should work.

Also, re that kick you got doing the F22 jet, yeah man! that realisation that you can draw anything you want, and you dont have to be an anime guy or a girls and guns guy or a cars guy, but you tell any story you can imagine, thats the buzz thats better than drugs!

these are my favourites so far:

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; December 10th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.