Thanks

painter x to photoshop

When I open up a painter x file in photoshop, why does the image always show up darker? and it's also vise versa, when I open up a psd file in painter it's way lighter, can anyone tell me what's going on? when I upload any psd files in photobucket they really look like shit, almost as if they have some kind of muted white color over them, as if the 'values' are much lighter, but painter files show up fine in photobucket, it's really frustrating

thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think it's probably to do with your colour management settings. If you haven't calibrated your monitor, you should do it. But anyway, HERE is a handy guide by John Derry on the colour management settings you should have in both Painter and Photoshop. Note that I use sRGB as my work space of choice, whereas John chooses Adobe RGB (possibly something of a UK verses USA choice - but I don't think it matters as long as you are consistent).

Anyway.... to get over your .psd file looking all washed out when coverting to web, make sure you choose Relative Colormetric in the Photoshop Color Settings under Conversion Options. Web doc's are all converted to sRGB and if you choose another method they tend to go dull and wishywashy.

Also, just a warning, or heads up on the colour management in Painter (note you need to have a doc open to access it). It is pretty buggy and liable to crash if you go in and out of it more than once or twice a session.... bit of a nuisance, but just make sure you save anything before fiddling with it.

Another possible reason you might have a colour difference is if you have the Impasto Effect turned on in Painter... gets turned on automatically when you use brushes that use impasto (depth) effect. Look at the top right hand side of an open document. There are four small icons there, the blue star-like icon at the bottom is the Impasto Effect one. When it looks flat it's off, when it looks like its got depth (embossed) it's on.
    Last edited by fes; November 21st, 2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: correction

Thanks
    in painter are you by chance using any impasto? Using it automatically turns on an overhead lamp of sorts that hits the canvas at a certain angle to give the strokes a 3d effect, causing the entire canvas itself to brighten up a bit.
    -------------
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/mikonos[/URL]

Thanks
    Fes, thanks a lot for taking time to respond, I will definitely look into all the settings, thanks for the guide.

AdventDawn, I'm not using the impasto tool at all, I don't know what the hell is up!

Thanks
    No probs. Hope you find the solution.

Thanks
    There is no solution, it's a bad calibration to industry standards on the part of Corel. This is the way the two programs interact, and if you don't think your experiencing it, you're merely not noticing it. Therefore, don't print or archive from Painter, adjust the image in Photoshop with a levels or curves adjustment layer and go from there.

I use both all day every day, and it's not anyone's fault as far as monitor calibration or software settings. It's a problem with Painter, not you or Photoshop. (I use Painter X and Photoshop CS 3 or 4 on 8 core Mac Pros with state of the art 64" inkjets, could be a Mac issue?) Just know that most of the time, you can actually improve the image in Photoshop, or bring it back to normal easily.

Still, pretty strange for 2008 technology. Just know that it's the nature of the beast, not your monitor or preference settings. That's consistent among 5 different brand new systems on my end, and honestly, complete crap that I have complained about. Painter's great for brush/canvas work and golden in it's own way, just not professional publishing.......why?......

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James Thornton View Post
    There is no solution, it's a bad calibration to industry standards on the part of Corel. This is the way the two programs interact, and if you don't think your experiencing it, you're merely not noticing it. Therefore, don't print or archive from Painter, adjust the image in Photoshop with a levels or curves adjustment layer and go from there.
    Uhh... when I adjusted my color management settings the problem was solved. (Fes just beat me to posting the color management setting issue).

Let's not jump to conclusions since the I don't recall the OP saying that they actually tried calibrating the color management. It was stated they'd check it out first, if there's still a problem then you can run your theory.

Thanks
    ...I've never had to calibrate Photoshop to print art or share images correctly with other apps.......just monitors.
    Last edited by James Thornton; November 26th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I've had to change calibration settings with photoshop because some of their profiles were off. It wasn't just a monitor adjustment.

Even older PSDs don't always display correct color information correctly. Even had problems where someone overseas sent me their image and the color information was different because they had the Japanese version.

Whether or not Painter needed to be calibrated for PS isn't such a big deal, monitor calibration considering various color modes is always a pain in the ass regardless of the application. I've had as much headaches with PS ad Painter when it comes to color information.

Thanks

Thank You!

Thanks so much for the tutoria. I've had nothing but trouble trying to figure out how to calibrate color with Photoshop. This worked a treat! Very much apprecated!!