Sketchbook: stay calm. measure. learn... - Page 30
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: stay calm. measure. learn...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress, exactly what grumpy pointed out. As soon as I saw the face of the horse lady I thought about the girl on which you struggled so much. The eyes are again to much to the sides of the face. And the mouth is to far up, even if we're watching her from below. But it's sooooo much better than the girl so you have definitely learned from it, that's the important thing. On the plate with a knife and cup drawing, the handle of the cup is drawn like we are watching it from the side, handles on cups are extremely hard to draw because it overlaps in a kinda complicated way. Draw what you actually see and not how you think it should looks, dont think just move you arm. This can be really hard to do though. We people over think everything. Nice work keep it going! Youre improving.

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @marlo- thank you! sometimes I feel like I do.. sometimes I feel like im still stuck on the same hurdles.

@dennis- yeah, overthinking. the 5m freehand I did of the saucer turned out better then the one I spent an hour on over the ellipse. on the other hand, I figured out I'd simplified my ellipes too far. that's worth something. the head, still hard. I know the eye is a bit elonngated. but any shorter and the ear just seemed too far off. and that does have to be around the middle. ah, did some boxes, then make m female near the end. that's something new for me...

Name:  headcs.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  116.4 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Loomis head studies! You are getting there. I made a couple of tweaks. It looks like you made an oval instead of a circle on the middle left. I know that the head has an oval shape to it from profile, but in the Loomis method, the very first foundational ellipse is always a perfect circle. Once you add hair on there it gives it even more volume, so it's important to get the base right so it doesn't look too wide. On the bottom left, I changed the angle and the width of the eye slightly.

Name:  output_rWOxPl.gif
Views: 370
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  output_gTBoP7.gif
Views: 369
Size:  146.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at the bottom gif now, I the right eye is probably to close the the nose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @grumpy-
    thanks for taking the time to crit these! I thought I was pretty precise with my circles. but I guess quite a few were wide.

tried the eyes again. are they okay now?

Name:  headcs.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  135.0 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They really do! But Im not sure how youre measuring the lengths between different parts of the face but the eyes from the one on the bottom right are to far apart. They need to move closer also the mouth is to close to the nose. After you move the eyes close remember the mouth generally goes from pupil to pupil in length, good luck!

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @grumpy- yay!

@dennis- ah yeah. your right. that's what I get for quickly putting in some rough features. lets hope that's the last time i do that... whatg was that thing again? if you cant be bothered to do it right, dont bother ding it at all.

stuff from the last few days. I'm having trouble posting so I hope this shows.

Name:  14011401.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  46.4 KB
    Name:  14011402.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  35.0 KB
    Name:  140114.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  004.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  329.1 KB
    Name:  sorceres7.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  Bouguereau.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  girlfaces.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  71.7 KB
    Name:  femchar14.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  100.0 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now thats what I want to see, faces are looking way better!! Love the coloured version from the horse lady, thats a nice piece. Are you calling it done? The value excercises are also really good and I can see youve been working hard! A quick tip for the horse piece might be to make the light more extreme, because the highlights are really big or how you call it so I think the lightsource should be a bit syronger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay! im not sure about the horse piece. want to call it done but we'll see. will try doing the thing with the horse too!

I've been having trouble posting most of this week, so I hope now that we're on a different server, things will go smoother.

stuff.

Name:  blackknightfem2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  90.9 KB
    Name:  grl.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  40.6 KB

>>mah tumbr

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Huge improvement on the faces. I think you have to retain the head in a box for longer to keep the shape - think of the face as the front plane all the time. Nice to see a fellow classmate working so hard.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Rolling down things on the wind pipes, five by five, marching
    up the hill with a pack on your back, I believe that you appeared
    much more experienced. The experimental stuff came out really
    good and your head drawings are slightly better than before.
    Keep on doing studies like you did in post #875. The horseman
    is looking cool, even if he has a girlish face. But if she’s a girl
    then where are here breasts? Her breastplate should have
    breast holders, bumps. Either way you are doing great,
    and ready for a fresh start in this year, I wish
    you all the best and lots of happiness.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blackspot- gad you think those faces are getting better! I started with a real rough on those and did put a box/ circle in I think but didn’t do much more then that. Maybe these turned out a bit better? Put the circles in in the 2nd stage and pretty much work with m turned on.
    @hey plissken- glad to see you! Ah, the dragon slayer is in fact a girl. She does have a bit of boob-bumbs in her armor, but didn’t want it to be too much of that. Maybe I’d a bit too little, looking at it now. Oh well
    Here’s the character design method I did on black cat. (some comic character that already exists). I figured why wouldn’t it tork, right?
    Well, I might not have done enough resource work. Tbh. Hard to keep at that. Sometimes, I just wanna draw, right?

Name:  blackcat2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  65.4 KB

edit: hmm.. thats not much is it? ill just post some more stuff I did to appear hard-working.

Name:  satanicfem5.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  headdss.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  62.3 KB
    Name:  backhow.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  mucle.jpg
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  deer.jpg
Size:  117.3 KB

Last edited by ashess; January 28th, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Oh my, what is happening with CA again, as we get used to one phase,
    it just turns to something else. Last posts I did, they all came out automatically
    as double posts, such complications for no reason, why, I mean really why?
    Anyway, I think that nothing can stop you from posting here, which is a good
    thing, cause you are a kind who shares our daily dose of motivation. You are
    better with painting heads, but the problem shows up when it gets tilted in
    some direction, especially when the neck is bent straight back, you have
    some trouble representing the foreshortening. You got yourself some nice
    references, so I suppose you just need to do more studies and copies of them.
    Greyscale paintings are coming along nicely, still I think as I said earlier, you
    should need to do some more slighter value changes, and think more about
    where should be the sharp and where the soft edges.
    So generally you are nailing shapes
    and proportions much better than before, you just pay a bit more attention
    to your values. Keep on painting greyscale, and try to paint shapes from life
    of course (even if they tend to be boring if you ask me). Well, that’s it
    for now, thank you for your visit to my book and for the constant support,
    I hope I will be able to post effectively pretty soon. Take care and
    keep on sharing art.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The faces are just way better I hope you can see for yourself that theyre actually looking alot better. I agree with LtPlissken that the foreshortening needs some work. Sycra has a pretty neat video on this but I think you can find alot of good information in general on the web. The demon is sick! Really love that piece, maybe make a finished version ( please, pleaaaaaaaasssse ) The value piece with the deer value wise I think its really good (did you check by using the filter as well?) But as Lt has ofcourse already pointed out especially the thing on its head ( sorry dont know what it is in english ) should have alot sharper lines. But value wise thats really good. Nice improvements overall!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a book that helped me alot was michael hampton, is really great to improve the information you get from studies of the human figure, keep on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @plissken- ah, those upturns are still hard. Though, looking again, its not so much the neck that is the issue. Which is good, bc that’s what I’ve focussed on so far. Well, we’ll get that. And the values too

Dennis so glad you think the faces are better. It is hard to tell sometimes. Yeah ill definitely finish the demon!

Buxu- thanks for the tip. Ill give it a look. Probably have that book actually.

messed a lot with the construction to get this right.
    Name:  headdss-Recovered.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  138.5 KB
    Name:  headdss-Recoveredb.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  60.2 KB

decided to do the chow/idw cross challange.
    Name:  chowthumbs345_3.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  71.9 KB
    Name:  idwtumbs251_2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  118.0 KB

masterstudy
    Name:  russcoloretc.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  64.3 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work going on here ashess. Seems like you're struggling a lot with construction. That's something that requires quite some practice to master. What helped me with this aspect of drawing is to practice a lot of technical drawing like indutrial designers do. Scott Robertson has some great videos on the subject that are worth investing in.

What I'm missing in your paintings is more clarity through value organization and simplification.It seems like you're trying too hard to copy your ref. Remember that you're in control of the picture and can make any adjustments you see fit for the sake of clarity. Here are some notes I saved from funkeymonkey1945 on CGhub. The topic is portraits but this applies to all picture making when it comes to simplifying values into big shapes:

Name:  970_max.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  225.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, thanks fantasy! that's sound advice. yeah, so much to do at once, right especially when stuff is so new it doesnt come naturally yet. I been thinking about buying that how to draw book. is it worth it?
    stuff.

Name:  chowthumbs345_5.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  53.1 KB
    Name:  deer2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  190.7 KB
    Name:  bugreyev.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  62.1 KB
    Name:  ladyreddoor.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  187.2 KB
    Name:  morecolor.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  idwtumbs251_3.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  69.3 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That lady with the blue armor is looking really cool, nice work! I don't like the color studies as much as others you have done or did you take less time for these? The woman's hand and background has to be way darker and less blueish. The colours on the deer one are quite different. Oh I think these are coloured and the others arent. I see now, okay then it's good practice but it needs work the colours on the deer one are quite different but I think you made it a bit to hard for yourself because that one is very tough because of the lightning. I do really like the one with the sailor ( or whatever that is called in english ) So good practice for now and I advice you to definitely keep doing these color studies. The woman in the armor for the challenge looks super cool thats really good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know dennis. the color stuff is still pretty hard for me. I'll try a few more, then if things dont get easier go back to greyscale for a while. at least I was somewhat getting the hang of that.

the lady (chow)

Name:  chowthumbs345_6.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  87.7 KB

and trying some different things for the idw piece.

Name:  idwtumbs251_4.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  37.1 KB
    Name:  idwtumbs251_5b.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  38.9 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've been busy! Keep up the good work, my dear.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice man, your putting dedication, had you tried to work first having solid lines (take your time) and then put the color below?
    just delet the lines when the whole thing when the planes are solid, if you take more time and try to do as best as you can even if you take more time i think it will pay off.

https://www.facebook.com/reneaigneri...type=1&theater

this is what im talking about

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Buxu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you grumpy!

@buxu- that's a nice idea... I'm gonna try that o the figure im working on.

Name:  chowthumbs345_9.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  30.6 KB

Last edited by ashess; February 5th, 2014 at 04:33 AM.
    >>mah tumbr

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey Ashess! check out my sig!

Great to see so much stuff going on in your SB! lots of improvements and works in progress - time to put it to the test - Deadpool style!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey 7! great to see a new comic challenge!!

and one of my old-time favorite chars too! yay! I'm gonna lobby for this one I promise! and make time to do something awesome ofc.

stretching it a little thin these days, but what the hey.

chow and idw challange. done just in time.. sort of.
    Name:  chowthumbs345_13.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  140.7 KB
    Name:  idwtumbs251_6.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  56.9 KB

joined up on the dayly master study.
    the latest (lady with the fish) isnt quite done yet, but I'm liking it so much better then the older ones that I had to show.

Name:  Alexander_John_White_An_Idle_Moment.jpg
Size:  75.0 KB
    Name:  Lefebvre_Jules_Mary_Magdalene_In_The_Cave5.jpg
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  isabella.jpg
Size:  78.9 KB
    Name:  IvanFedorovich_cs3.jpg
Size:  42.7 KB
    Name:  seargantc2.jpg
Size:  57.4 KB
    Name:  Shaw_John_Byam.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  160.9 KB

and just a little head study stuff. you know, to keep up.
    Name:  Andrew-Loomis---Drawing-The-Head-&-Hands-70.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  99.8 KB
    Name:  tries.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  74.3 KB
    Name:  bwfan.jpg
Size:  27.4 KB
    Name:  bwmidvalmumbling.jpg
Size:  50.7 KB

I also got some stuff on paper. a few small still lives. drawings of kids. I'll scan soon.

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    soo. image dump again! aah. some half-finished sketches in here. seem to have a lot of those lately. there not all here. just the ones that were in my scanning pile, so nothing digital for one.

hmm.. perspective stuff.
    (and light sometimes...
    Name:  06021402.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  91.2 KB
    Name:  06021401.jpg
Size:  125.9 KB
    Name:  13021401.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB
    Name:  140214.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  81.7 KB

kid portraits from life.

Name:  07021401.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  12021402.jpg
Size:  141.4 KB
    Name:  12021401.jpg
Size:  125.2 KB

master study stuff.

Name:  Frank_Cowper_(1907)_Vanity.jpg
Size:  177.7 KB
    Name:  Malcolm-T-Liepke.jpg
Size:  67.7 KB
    Name:  latindancer.jpg
Size:  86.5 KB
    Name:  brianblood.jpg
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  bongard.jpg
Size:  79.6 KB
    Name:  LeinilYu.jpg
Size:  159.8 KB

and a bit of comic inspired horsing around...
    Name:  mismarvel.jpg
Size:  116.4 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi ashess. I admire your work ethic, especially in regards to structural improvement and creativity. One of the biggest areas I see that is holding you back is the way you are using your brush and brush settings. It looks like you have taken the blur tool at high strength and applied it to large areas of your painting, at random. It is also creating very muddy colors. I saw your video and know that you aren't using blur tool, so it has to do with your brush settings and how you are applying them.

I would urge you to research how other artists use their brushes and what settings they have them on at different parts of the process. Two good places to start are: http://onepixelbrush.com/tutorials/ and: http://ctrlpaint.com/library/ under 8) the brush tool. You are using a tablet, am I right?

I am still figuring out the best settings for myself, but my suggestion would be, when doing shading and transition work, to set the brush at 100% flow and 100% opacity, and then checking the box by *other dynamics or *transfer, depending on what version of photoshop you have. Make sure your opacity and flow jitter are set to pen pressure. This has allowed me more control and it has saved me time, because I can control a lot of values and colors through pressure.

I think you'll find a big jump in the quality of your work if you can figure out a better working relationship with your brushes. Take the time to research and experiment. Your current approach is not successful. From what I see, you have really great ideas and I want you to be able to express them better!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving your aquarelles...but I must check all work again....I think you like to go back and studie again some things like you are doing it the first time////and that is very good

34. The Following User Says Thank You to marko markovic For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For goodness sake ashess, slow down. This isn't a race, it's meant to be you learning, not done that let's move on to the next one. Speed comes later. Unless you put more care into the studies, you aren't going to learn much. Take the woman in the kimono, why did you move her nose? Check, double check. Come on, I know you have it in you. Knuckle down and rock this place.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 542