Sketchbook: Snatch up that One Piece - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1227247275

this is amazing kind of technik ! I woud like to see more!:-)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worry, you didn't see my earlier comment because we were posting roughly at the same time.
    Damn, 3-8 is merciless ^^ but they made her so...
    The storyboard reads reasonably well but I'd like to see a few scenic indications
    or whatever it's called, you know: motion arrows, camera travelings and zoomings, sounds, durations, etc. when needed.
    I suppose all square-angled tags are thought voice-overs with the own voice of the character?
    I have no specific criticisms at the moment, the sequences look fine to me, but let my brain digest and grind and I'll be more critical.

Wild Nymph will be a humoristic comic not connected to the story of Keis the mapmaker but she nevertheless started her existence as a character in his story,
    although not as a simple nymph but as a more powerful being, I'll tell more about her in my thread later on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @VanDog: thanks for checking out my stuff. I like that one too. its aquared&ink with some post in photo/painter.
    I kinda did these storyboard pages in the same way -tough the balance between analogue&digital shifts a bit.
    @Leo: yeah, that musta been it. 38 isn't really nasty. more like a cat that likes to play with birds. yes its speech balloons and voice-over by the characters in squares. I'll go back and make some clearer scenic directions to the storyboard from before soon; I'd love to have more critz if you think of any ^^

gonna post my storyboard here; well, first few.
    this is the day of the curse, first pages.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    >>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess..hi

neat work..
    i liked your traditional stuff.. the black panther for instance,,it reminds me of pinnachiolli..
    can you show me more of the hand painted stuff..?
    i think they are more than awesome..
    cool..
    and wats up with the elf-manga style..?

cool anyways..
    keeep visitin my sketchbook again..
    work and take care..

Last edited by animosapien; November 29th, 2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: spell check
    There is but one short cut to success...apparently its called Hardwork.

The Great Indian Mythology Character Design Trick - ( please do leave your comments on this sketchbook) http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=142727

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ animo:
    thanks; I'm glad you like them. they're what I used to do sort of. tough that one turned out particulary well. I'm looking for a mix between that and an comic or anime style; something's that's a little easier to read then the real hand pianted. I'm currently experimenting with that mix.

2nd part of the day of the curse:

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeaeah, I'd been waiting for the rest of 38's intermission since I'd read the beginning on the website
    She's so dynamic that I can't wait to see her animated - but I know I will have to wait quite some time anyway.
    How much time can you devote each week to the project?
    I like the way your coloring is taking, although it seems you'll have to handpaint each frame.
    I still have no detail crit on this storyboard or the revolution day storyboard,
    I just drink the story as it goes, meaning it's good, which is a form of crit.

I've been thinking about setting up some sort of storytellers ring or network here on CA,
    a thread in the sketchbooks or lounge section where people can sign up,
    then add a link to that thread in their signatures.
    It may help comic and animation makers keeping in touch about storyboarding issues.
    Would you be in?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Leo; ye I love drawing 38. a little bit of madness every time.
    about time; I got time on thursdays and in the weekend. other days sometimes I work a bit in the evening, depending on how tired I am Oo. about 10 to 15 hours a week I guess.
    the handpainted pictures have turned out best ye still working on a decent balance. they take quite a bit of time; but in some ways so does computer coloring.
    I'm glad you like the story. it's a little dry I think; but its just background really. working on a slightly more detailed version now.

EDIT:
    the setting up a storyboardgroup is a WONDERFULL idea! I'm all gonna support that anyway I can!

here's some more of 'the day of the curse' (part 3); sort-of finished pages.
    (I still had them in storage I'm almost to where untill I fihished it. might post the draft versions too though)

Last edited by ashess; November 29th, 2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: forgot..
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your druidic people are lovely and funny at the same time. The angry faces crack me up. ^^
    What is the girl doing with her hands on 15 and 17.jpg? An invocation? Or she's just bored?
    And, the Storyboarding Ring is up! See my sig and click to see the details

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :d ye matka particularly is a liiiitle too serious.
    the girl is supposed to be bandaging her hand Oo

and yay! added to sig and gonna reply there

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latest pages for 'day of the curse'; part 4.
    (page 19-24)
    I also added the more finished versions to: http://projectz.ashess.nl/

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, now it looks obvious to me she's bandaging her arm. I guess the stupid neuron was on guard in my head last time. °.°
    But imagine for a second she's not bandaging, her hands will do an interesting dance ^^

The archdruid is particularly mysterious, it's hard to guess what's on his mind. I suppose this is for the suspense. Or a humoristic satire maybe.
    I think you could play more with the camera in the space of the temple. The height of it, the alignment of columns, the light beams, could make eery camera motions up and down, back and forth, including around a column.
    A few low-angle views looking up at the archdruid could strengthen his aura of power, unless you want to show him resigned of course.

Do you have more design studies of the temple (like the glass window) to see the details that can't be in a storyboard?

I won't put the member list of the storyboarding ring in my signature because it's already rather crowded ^^ And we might end up with dozens of members after a while

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Leo;
    well, I have this one, which is kind of the atmosphere it should have. like a church made out of living trees.
    Name:  forest_sanc.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  184.4 KB

the girl.. yeah. she could be the arch druid is a bit of a mistery figure. if anyone has any idea of how the story will play out, its him ;P
    yes; I could play with the camera a little more. that means draw more temple I'm more of a ppl drawing you might have noticed.
    but I will. never mind the sig; just trying to get some attention for it.
    well, or you can get of that part about attaching thumbnails
    last here's a little posemaniacs 1.5 min. I'm getting slow :p getting the whole figure down was quite a problem. also I'm not much for sketching on the computer I guess.

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Short Character discription: Red 38.

Name:  red_23_08_07_03.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  40.5 KB Name:  Untitled-9b.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  17.9 KBName:  redz5b.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  17.3 KB
    short story:
    no 38, aka the red scourge.
    'red' is one of the 100 supersoldiers created by the federation of planets to win their war against the druid empire. (who were whipping their ass until then).
    this worked a little too well as no 39, 38 'brother' made a coop and took over.
    agains 38's wishes he sets up a 'peacefull empire', to rule in stability.

created for the purpose of killing, all the numbered are, of course, merciless killing machines (well, more or less)
    but red 38 is probably the worst; she lives for the hunt, with no remorse or anger.

the numbered are all 'sculptors', which means they can bend matter to their will. druids have a similar power over living matter and their own bodies.

38's greatest pleasure is finding druids who equal her in combat and then defeat them. their death is only a momentary sadness to her, as the fun is over.
    as such she happily works for her 'brother', the emperor, with the mutual agreement that when there are no more druids left to hunt, the emperor and her will dual to the death over who is the greatest.

red's only traumatic experience consist of once having lost a sparring context with 39. and she is a very, very sore loser.

all would have gone just like that without much to tell, if it weren't for the last archdruid, who places a curse upon Red. he gives Red38 his soul and his live, but in return Red can never kill again.
    now, this leaves 38 not only with a problem on account of a certain deal with her brother. it also leaves her for want of a new hobby...

personality: wild, upbeat, enjoys random acts of violence. has no sense of guilt; loved her job as the army's killing machine and sometimes longs for those days. lacks basic social skills as how to have a normal conversation, what not to mention and such. no self-consciouness or any consideration of others. only notices other's strong emotions such as fear or anger, and tends to provoke those. over-confident.

likes: bloodshed and icecream sundays. making others uncomfortable or afraid; thrill-addicted.
    hates: loosing. "emotional moments"
    sketch: red comming to terms with her rather unfortunate handicap:
    Name:  scetch1.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  102.8 KB
    again; she should prolly tell other about it soon Oo
    Name:  scetch_4.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  115.2 KB
    red showing off the fun you can have with skulpting:
    Name:  scetch2a.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  110.7 KB
    Name:  scetch2b.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  86.9 KB

Last edited by ashess; December 1st, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lively dialogs! And lively gesture again.
    I'm wondering how 38 can stand her no-kill curse, given her monomania.
    Does the curse prevent her from killing indirectly as well?
    What outlet can she find? Some repressed part of her mind will emerge?
    Giving her personality depth entails making her somewhat complex.
    Just testing the ground with questions until I understand her better.

Did you consider having the tremple trees irregularly planted and more twisted
    so the overall design looks more natural and less artificial, thus stressing
    the cultural and artistic differences between the Druids and the Sculptors?

Yes, camera whirls would give you much more work, I was thinking more
    like 3D staging than hand painting, my bad. Or maybe you could use a mix
    of techniques if you don't like drawing architecture:
    Make rough 3D sequences of the temple which you paint over, then paint
    the characters and other things?

Try shorter poses on posemaniacs, it will help getting rid of hesitations.
    You chose the advanced mode with canvas rotations, that's hard! ^^

Which moment of the story does untitled-9b.jpg describe?
    Watch out her left arm and hand (on the right), it's huuuge!
    Among the 3 different techniques of the 3 character sheets,
    which one is the closest to the one you'll pick for the animation?

PS: piece -> peace (and tough -> though)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Leo; thanks again for your interest ^^ its so helpfull to have someone think along!
    the curse is basically the archdruid's spirit trying to stop her when killing. so basically, any conscious decision he can reason to have death as a consequence will count. Basically, 38 will find ways to enjoy herself without killing anyone. mostly by endagering herself and others. I should prolly describe the other 3 main characters for it to make sense; but she does get some help.
    making the temples more natural never even crossed my minds. I was rather hung up on having them be iles of straight rows like a forest walkway; and represent a church like that. its a great idea tough. I think I will experiment ^^
    using a mix of 2d and 3d was the original plan, so using it for architecture at least will make things easier ye ^^

your right about pose maniacs. I'm completely outta practise 00 that happens if you don't keep your studies up! but I do like the advanced canvas ;P
    untitled 9b is waking up after the curse. the blood is the archdruid's. but she doenst know that first.
    the 3 characters are drawn at different times.. I've been thinking of seriously getting on with theis project for maybe 2 years now. the 2nd is the earliest, the 3rd the latest. the latest tries are the storyboard style I'm using now.
    I still havent made a final decision.

and oh god. I spell like a deranged baboon. if I get at least that right. sorry!
    here's some tries at the temple I did yesterday:
    Name:  301108_4k.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  37.7 KBName:  301108_5k.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  45.2 KB

and now.. something completely different!
    cats...

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cute cats ^^ with a hint of wildness
    I did notice you liked cats from your previous animations
    I especially like the one slightly outlined in yellow at the top
    It looks a bit like a fox

The second watercolor of the temple is beautiful
    Can an animation preserve this style?
    If you want to explore alternative shapes but keep some regularity
    try the circle or oval maybe

So the spirit of the archdruid is still around...
    Things indeed look hopeless for 38...
    Unless she learns to fight spirits...
    Good plot suspense!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^ I love those cats. and they wer in a real playfull mood sunday. the red/yellow one was sneaking around like a fox.
    im still not happy with the temple. as for keeping the style; I know a few tricks so it can prolly work. I have a 'cut out' programm workable in a 3d plain; you can get nice effects like swaying leaves and stuff from just using one picture. its not real real, but no one will ever no
    ye. gonna try circles and more natural shapes.
    ^^ glad you like the story.
    also. I might hve bought another anatomy book. I know.. I know. I had too many already. but it makes me happy Oo. anywa. did the same I do with all the books so far; read the preface and go back to drawing some stuff from ref.. oh well. ;P

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments on my sketchbook. keep up the good work and try some more studies to improve. The traditional stuff here looks pretty cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eh thanks
    anyway, messing with blender's new sculpt mode.
    not really getting it right yet; but seems pretty neat.
    for those that don't know blender go get it!
    free 3d software... really.

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'm not really a fan of anime / manga stuff, except few things, so I can't really make a crit on the style, but it's definitelt nice to see you practice anatomy. Your characters will be much better when you'll have understood some shapes of the human body! Keep it up!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thank for dropping by my sketchbook, youve got some pretty cool stuff going on, but what i noticed straight away is that those watercolour/ink drawings up there are infinatley better than any of your digital storyboards. but more expressive.

i think the thing with your digitals is that you try and go for a painterly look but you still put those deaddenning black lines around everything.
    a good exercise i can think of would be try not to use a single black line in your next storyboard. by all means use dark colours for shadows but the black line just kills it dead.

youve got some good body language and expressions going on in those colour line sketches and you are definatley improving compared to your first page.
    so keep it up i say,
    toodles.

wonderous visual delights await you through these many portals!!:

sketch-a-book

Flickr portfolio can be found here

Blog

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Littleman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff man The panther on the first page and the watercolors are great! The storyboard figures could use a bit more attention. I know they are supposed to be quick for the purpose of story boarding, but I think if you flesh them out a bit more like you do your other drawings they'll grab a lot more attention and trigger more imagination. Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @clochette: been @ anatomy for over 12 yearz now.. get better when I practise. but leave it to rot for a few weeks and its like back at square 1 :p

@littleman: hey, thanks. thats a great idea with no lines. I can use the practice for tonal stuff too :p I tried redoing my last storyboard image. will do a few more.
    @zhonked: yeah. getting there. need to get the ideas down fast first though.

arr.. stuff from the last 2 days. some posemaniacs.. 30 sec not-on-advanced-mode. as suggested and next to eachother.. lot less work then having to layer during drawing.
    Name:  021208_01.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  38.0 KBName:  021208_02.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  36.6 KB

err. some enviroment scetches.. dont like the first one, but other are ok.
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  18.3 KBName:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  14.9 KB
    Name:  planties.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  13.1 KB

and.. the last storyboard image in tones. colors& real gray values.
    Name:  01_Sh24.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  27.9 KBName:  01_Sh24.jpgg.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  24.2 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should realy start playing with the opacity.It the way you colour in your stuff looks wierd.

But anyways i like the first enviorment the most.The one that you dont like

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you mean use transparent brushes? I used some finishing up here. but really, whats that gonna do?

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mudblood from the start
    not unhappy about this. but I'm gonna haveta see what a finished work will look like. one of the reason I went for an animish style is that its easy to read with a general public. don't want to have a too much of an obstacle for ppl to follow the story..

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those cats are awsome! but you should stop with the manga style, its not good for your drawing skills try to do realistic stuff. in a few years youll thank me

–Tim

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks.. but uh. I updated the front page. with a little explanation. hope that clears things up a lil.

Last edited by ashess; December 4th, 2008 at 08:54 AM.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some hands and elbows.. hmm embows..

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The animator in you is showing up in the posemaniacs studies! Lines of action ^^
    When I commented on your previous posemaniacs I had only seen the last image
    because I was looking at the storyboard above it when the gif was playing oO
    You didn't set it to loop

Your anatomy studies turn out pretty well, good structural exaggeration.

I like the style and design of untitled-2 in your project studies.
    May I ask you add a bit of text description along with your concept art?
    I will help both understanding and commenting.

I also like the style of panel 25 on post #56.
    I know it's hard to find a quick style for a storyboard, I'm always changing my mind in mine...

I'll ask again for a text area in your panels for extra information.
    It will also make it clearer to the zipping-by visitors that it's a storyboard.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 260