Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I miss the storyboaoaoard!!!!
    Well, I'll try to be of some help about the sketching and lining.
    You seem to be hesitating between structure and lines of force
    but you have to melt them together, sacrificing a bit of both
    in quantities that depend on the style you're aiming for.
    I believe your style will lean more toward the lines of force,
    meaning you'll have to twist structure quite a bit, but always
    trying to keep consistent in this, or the characters will
    look unbalanced. I bump into the same problem all the time,
    and I have no other solution than experimenting.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    thanks Leo; ye that does kind of sum up the problem. though I feel more like I'm sacrivicing quality in both directions. meh just a little annoyed with it. it usually wears off :p
    maybe I shouldnt bother and just continue the storyboard.
    err. this is, to get around the frustration, 1 brigdman study in ink, 1 fantasy in ink, and 1 in pencil.
    Attachment 562969

Attachment 562971Attachment 562972
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Last edited by ashess; January 13th, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Brigdman studies are looking very very nice, keep up with that stuff!

Your storyboards are interesting... they're pretty complex and have a lot of fighting going on in them, but I think it would serve you well to calm things down a bit. Maybe if you tried some slower pieces, instead of fighting, it would do you some good. It's pretty difficult to follow the action in your storyboards, because a lot of your shots that should establish where everyone is and who they are... are too sketchy and non-descript. I think it wouldn't hurt at all to try some storyboards with 1-2 people, doing something a bit less crazy.

Otherwise, your work looks good,your brigdman studies are definitely paying off (very beautiful studies), and your lines look pretty confident in most cases. Keep it up man.

Ik denk dat jij bent een goed artist.

Mijn Nederland is niet so goed, hahaha. Ik gewoon bij mij groteouders voor ses maanden, maar ik kan nog niet praat.

Last edited by cdejong; January 14th, 2009 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks
    Ik hoorde storyboooord? I agree with sebbonaparte that the fights are a bit difficult to follow. But I trust you can manage the complexity, just be kind to the poor readers who don't know everything that's going on inside your mind, and provide us with some extra info, such as a few overall views that are not part of the scenes for instance (map of the clearing with camera tracks and the like, you see?)
    Apart from that, I still admire the dynamics of action. Maybe watch out your stylization of backbone flexion, you tend to arch it back a bit too often, in my view it takes strength off the characters.

Thanks
    Ah, Bridgman. Its enough to make you go insane, isn't it? =P I'm really digging the ink studies. And huge props on tackling some really difficult poses!

Thanks
    aah, wouldnt you know it. so much usefull feedback, and suddenly I'm completely swamped for time.
    anyway, finally got a few minutes to myself on my own comp; and time to scan what little I scetched in the last few days.

@ sebbonaparte: haha dutch ^^ goed gedaan hoor, met zo weinig oefening! yeah I might have gone a little overboard on the action. I guess I'll need to add at least a bit of scenery somewhere. espec with the last page being a bit busy already.

@Leo: I do love flexing backs ^^ ye I only noticed when you pointed it out that I had one in over half the shots.. also, I do really need the scenery I guess. though its a little inconsequential in my mind right now. but I'll give these a re-work with some more expanation; your right. it gets hard to follow. and its supposed to be readable as a comic book too.

@Mock: ye bridgman completely rock ^^. I'm glad you like the inks; though I think I mighta got the proportions wrong on quite a few. and I like doing difficult poses. I'm afraid I might have to do some work on my perspective a bit though. maybe just do some simple exercizes. I never seem to feel like it tough :p

--
    here's some quick thumbnails for the 'bigfoot' competition. its a girl bigfoot that's entralled at the ladie's shoeshop. ^^
    I'd love to hear which one you'll like. I'm leaning towards the on top left.
    Last edited by ashess; January 15th, 2009 at 01:43 PM.

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    Hey hey hey.

I've noticed with this Figures arm, the overlap is confusing, open that Burne Hogarth and observe how he uses overlap. Also look at various trained artists like Bridgman and and see how they've used the principles.

Also be more aware of silhouette. Be aware of your carecters in terms of readabilty.

On the postive note, I love how you "think with a pencil" Indulge in it!
    Last edited by Fitzin; January 16th, 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammer, not sure. Continued noodling with it to make it sound more postive.

Thanks
    I know.. its a rather failed experiment with drawing a quick line drawing over a pencil drawing. maybe I shouldnt a posted it :p

Thanks
    You should post mistakes along with successes. Both are part of shaping a great artist. =P On these latest figures, try to focus in on the feet and hands. I know they were probably intentionally rushed a bit, but they're looking dough-ish rather than structure, and practicing on those will help you more than you can imagine. (Im slowly getting over my own drawing hand/feet phobia)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like the bottom middle or the one on the right, although I would swing the camera down a bit lower so that we can get a real feel for how big she is.

Also what Mock said, on both counts.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    I usually like drawing hands. put a little more work in these its also easier if you can zoom in.
    @ sebbon: I tried getting the angle a little more crazy; but wanted to show the happy face too, so this is what I came up with.

Thanks
    im actually having a lot of fun on this one. hell, might even finish for once.
    I'm messing with the lighting now. not too great with that. want it to be evening. a quiet night. maybe a little fog..

Thanks
    The left leg looks a little too small, I would fatten up the quad a bit. Also think of composition... maybe move the scene to the left a little bit more so the girl is on the left side instead of the middle, and then maybe make the window bigger so we get a good look at what's the object of her adoration.

Otherwise good work! Looks like a fun exercise and you seem to have a pretty good idea of where it's going.

Thanks
    Funny topic
    I see a problem of scale when I imagine a human-sized human in front of the shop. If the door is the lower rectangle, then the window is very very high.
    I think Bigfoot lady would look more natural with the head leaning down to the shoes. If you want to have her face clearly visible you can either change the angle a bit or place her arm differently.
    About the storyboard: I'd forgotten you wanted it to be a webcomic at the same time. It's quite a challenge, and I'll keep it in mind in my critiques.

Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast