Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Snatch up that One Piece

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    latest pages for 'day of the curse'; part 4.
    (page 19-24)
    I also added the more finished versions to: http://projectz.ashess.nl/
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ah yes, now it looks obvious to me she's bandaging her arm. I guess the stupid neuron was on guard in my head last time. °.°
    But imagine for a second she's not bandaging, her hands will do an interesting dance ^^

The archdruid is particularly mysterious, it's hard to guess what's on his mind. I suppose this is for the suspense. Or a humoristic satire maybe.
    I think you could play more with the camera in the space of the temple. The height of it, the alignment of columns, the light beams, could make eery camera motions up and down, back and forth, including around a column.
    A few low-angle views looking up at the archdruid could strengthen his aura of power, unless you want to show him resigned of course.

Do you have more design studies of the temple (like the glass window) to see the details that can't be in a storyboard?

I won't put the member list of the storyboarding ring in my signature because it's already rather crowded ^^ And we might end up with dozens of members after a while

Thanks
    hi Leo;
    well, I have this one, which is kind of the atmosphere it should have. like a church made out of living trees.
    Attachment 530917

the girl.. yeah. she could be the arch druid is a bit of a mistery figure. if anyone has any idea of how the story will play out, its him ;P
    yes; I could play with the camera a little more. that means draw more temple I'm more of a ppl drawing you might have noticed.
    but I will. never mind the sig; just trying to get some attention for it.
    well, or you can get of that part about attaching thumbnails
    last here's a little posemaniacs 1.5 min. I'm getting slow :p getting the whole figure down was quite a problem. also I'm not much for sketching on the computer I guess.
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Short Character discription: Red 38.

Attachment 530991 Attachment 530992Attachment 530993
    short story:
    no 38, aka the red scourge.
    'red' is one of the 100 supersoldiers created by the federation of planets to win their war against the druid empire. (who were whipping their ass until then).
    this worked a little too well as no 39, 38 'brother' made a coop and took over.
    agains 38's wishes he sets up a 'peacefull empire', to rule in stability.

created for the purpose of killing, all the numbered are, of course, merciless killing machines (well, more or less)
    but red 38 is probably the worst; she lives for the hunt, with no remorse or anger.

the numbered are all 'sculptors', which means they can bend matter to their will. druids have a similar power over living matter and their own bodies.

38's greatest pleasure is finding druids who equal her in combat and then defeat them. their death is only a momentary sadness to her, as the fun is over.
    as such she happily works for her 'brother', the emperor, with the mutual agreement that when there are no more druids left to hunt, the emperor and her will dual to the death over who is the greatest.

red's only traumatic experience consist of once having lost a sparring context with 39. and she is a very, very sore loser.

all would have gone just like that without much to tell, if it weren't for the last archdruid, who places a curse upon Red. he gives Red38 his soul and his live, but in return Red can never kill again.
    now, this leaves 38 not only with a problem on account of a certain deal with her brother. it also leaves her for want of a new hobby...

personality: wild, upbeat, enjoys random acts of violence. has no sense of guilt; loved her job as the army's killing machine and sometimes longs for those days. lacks basic social skills as how to have a normal conversation, what not to mention and such. no self-consciouness or any consideration of others. only notices other's strong emotions such as fear or anger, and tends to provoke those. over-confident.

likes: bloodshed and icecream sundays. making others uncomfortable or afraid; thrill-addicted.
    hates: loosing. "emotional moments"
    sketch: red comming to terms with her rather unfortunate handicap:
    Attachment 531001
    again; she should prolly tell other about it soon Oo
    Attachment 531004
    red showing off the fun you can have with skulpting:
    Attachment 531002
    Attachment 531003
    Last edited by ashess; December 1st, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Lively dialogs! And lively gesture again.
    I'm wondering how 38 can stand her no-kill curse, given her monomania.
    Does the curse prevent her from killing indirectly as well?
    What outlet can she find? Some repressed part of her mind will emerge?
    Giving her personality depth entails making her somewhat complex.
    Just testing the ground with questions until I understand her better.

Did you consider having the tremple trees irregularly planted and more twisted
    so the overall design looks more natural and less artificial, thus stressing
    the cultural and artistic differences between the Druids and the Sculptors?

Yes, camera whirls would give you much more work, I was thinking more
    like 3D staging than hand painting, my bad. Or maybe you could use a mix
    of techniques if you don't like drawing architecture:
    Make rough 3D sequences of the temple which you paint over, then paint
    the characters and other things?

Try shorter poses on posemaniacs, it will help getting rid of hesitations.
    You chose the advanced mode with canvas rotations, that's hard! ^^

Which moment of the story does untitled-9b.jpg describe?
    Watch out her left arm and hand (on the right), it's huuuge!
    Among the 3 different techniques of the 3 character sheets,
    which one is the closest to the one you'll pick for the animation?

PS: piece -> peace (and tough -> though)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi Leo; thanks again for your interest ^^ its so helpfull to have someone think along!
    the curse is basically the archdruid's spirit trying to stop her when killing. so basically, any conscious decision he can reason to have death as a consequence will count. Basically, 38 will find ways to enjoy herself without killing anyone. mostly by endagering herself and others. I should prolly describe the other 3 main characters for it to make sense; but she does get some help.
    making the temples more natural never even crossed my minds. I was rather hung up on having them be iles of straight rows like a forest walkway; and represent a church like that. its a great idea tough. I think I will experiment ^^
    using a mix of 2d and 3d was the original plan, so using it for architecture at least will make things easier ye ^^

your right about pose maniacs. I'm completely outta practise 00 that happens if you don't keep your studies up! but I do like the advanced canvas ;P
    untitled 9b is waking up after the curse. the blood is the archdruid's. but she doenst know that first.
    the 3 characters are drawn at different times.. I've been thinking of seriously getting on with theis project for maybe 2 years now. the 2nd is the earliest, the 3rd the latest. the latest tries are the storyboard style I'm using now.
    I still havent made a final decision.

and oh god. I spell like a deranged baboon. if I get at least that right. sorry!
    here's some tries at the temple I did yesterday:
    Attachment 531625Attachment 531626

and now.. something completely different!
    cats...

Thanks
    Cute cats ^^ with a hint of wildness
    I did notice you liked cats from your previous animations
    I especially like the one slightly outlined in yellow at the top
    It looks a bit like a fox

The second watercolor of the temple is beautiful
    Can an animation preserve this style?
    If you want to explore alternative shapes but keep some regularity
    try the circle or oval maybe

So the spirit of the archdruid is still around...
    Things indeed look hopeless for 38...
    Unless she learns to fight spirits...
    Good plot suspense!

Thanks
    ^^ I love those cats. and they wer in a real playfull mood sunday. the red/yellow one was sneaking around like a fox.
    im still not happy with the temple. as for keeping the style; I know a few tricks so it can prolly work. I have a 'cut out' programm workable in a 3d plain; you can get nice effects like swaying leaves and stuff from just using one picture. its not real real, but no one will ever no
    ye. gonna try circles and more natural shapes.
    ^^ glad you like the story.
    also. I might hve bought another anatomy book. I know.. I know. I had too many already. but it makes me happy Oo. anywa. did the same I do with all the books so far; read the preface and go back to drawing some stuff from ref.. oh well. ;P

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments on my sketchbook. keep up the good work and try some more studies to improve. The traditional stuff here looks pretty cool.

Thanks
    eh thanks
    anyway, messing with blender's new sculpt mode.
    not really getting it right yet; but seems pretty neat.
    for those that don't know blender go get it!
    free 3d software... really.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Hi! I'm not really a fan of anime / manga stuff, except few things, so I can't really make a crit on the style, but it's definitelt nice to see you practice anatomy. Your characters will be much better when you'll have understood some shapes of the human body! Keep it up!
    Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

Thanks
    hey thank for dropping by my sketchbook, youve got some pretty cool stuff going on, but what i noticed straight away is that those watercolour/ink drawings up there are infinatley better than any of your digital storyboards. but more expressive.

i think the thing with your digitals is that you try and go for a painterly look but you still put those deaddenning black lines around everything.
    a good exercise i can think of would be try not to use a single black line in your next storyboard. by all means use dark colours for shadows but the black line just kills it dead.

youve got some good body language and expressions going on in those colour line sketches and you are definatley improving compared to your first page.
    so keep it up i say,
    toodles.
    wonderous visual delights await you through these many portals!!:

sketch-a-book

Flickr portfolio can be found here

Blog

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Littleman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice stuff man The panther on the first page and the watercolors are great! The storyboard figures could use a bit more attention. I know they are supposed to be quick for the purpose of story boarding, but I think if you flesh them out a bit more like you do your other drawings they'll grab a lot more attention and trigger more imagination. Keep up the good work

Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 ... LastLast