Thanks

Just for kicks.. where chudds has been

Heylo. (got halfway through this once and accidentally lost it.)

Although only 4 or so will recall my name from an occasional daily sketchbook thread back before summertime. I have read a large number of posts everyday since January. That stacks up and ive felt very much a bystander in this magnificent society.

I just turned 17, on the 17th, and am about halfway through my time as a highschool artist. What joy... only if my teacher would catch on that she cant hold me to bounds or i'll throw things at her. I am just under a year away from what Im goin to be when i front my portfolio to colleges. So im anxious.. especially since everyone else in my portfolio class in a senior and doing it all right now. Regardless.. time is cool.

So my teachers and a certain past attender have convinced me to pursue applying for Governors School of Visual Arts for Virginia. yeah The process here is spanned over two interviews. The first selects one student from a area of schools. Im that one student beating out two of my best friends in my own artsy microcosm in Williamsburg. So I have a Jan 10 date with round two. I am very confident on my interview and only nervous about the production of two 3d pieces i need to do before then. O well.. I'll figure something.

Last night, the 20th, I attended a student exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. My pastel Falling Waters piece that a few may remember from my sbook thread (if thats possible) was in it. So im stoked on that mark. I listened to Inka Essenhigh give a "lecture" for an hour or so. Shes a fruitcake and a half but I enjoyed her and her ironically and hysterically humorous personality. I also saw the fantabolous work of anamorphic sculptor Robert Lazzirini. Wow. thats worth driving/flying quite a ways for it. And Suntrust or someone is paying for free admission for the rest of its run. So if your in richmond, va the next couple weeks. his phone booth will satiate you for quite a while.

My sole birthday present was Feng's 3rd DVD. I loved it and it had brought insight into some simplicities i didnt think possible. I do plan to become a high post member soon. Maybe tonight. Maybe next week or in a few months. But i will so hey. Im hoping to take some pics of what ive done this year. even though im not satisfied. its still what ive done.

Finally I am considering VCU, Ringling, and SCAD so far for applications. Ive heard alot on the latter two. And I know many who have gone to VCU, but id be interested in outside opinions of VCU in richmond if anyone is familiar. The academic part is much the party school. But i reckon their art program looks much more sincere.

Hopefully none of you wasted your night reading this. Ive had some social issues not needing discussion and off topic rambling helps. Piece and love - chudds

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I goto VCU (this is my 4th year), and it's really what you make of it. The curriculum is disorganized, the equipment substandard, and the city is a scumhole. However, I've stayed here, and I'm getting what I can. The professors are mostly good teachers.. but most are adjuncts and they cycle through "guest teachers" every year or so. As far as the way the school works, you go through a year of foundation where you do mind numbing design projects (by hand), drawings of cones and boxes and perspective, and make conceptual/performance art. As a sophomore (in the illustration track, which I'm in), you don't do much drawing at all, mostly conceptual/designy things. Don't expect to do a lot of painting in your classes, throughout your years. I've had to teach myself how to paint, because one or two classes with it just doesn't cut it.

Not to sound like I'm down on my school, because I've made great friends here and I have learned quit a bit, but just don't come here and get everything you want to learn from your classes... you'll have to do a lot of work on your own. Which should be the case anywhere, but especially here.

This post sounds pretty negative, I'm just thinking that the other choices you listed would be better. Apply to all of them, though, and see where you get in... VCU's probably the cheapest of the bunch.

Thanks
    Yea I understand that from most of what I hear. Its mearly a top choice because of its proximity to my current home and that I'd have 3 or 4 fellow art friends along with like 20 or so other alumni from my class there with me.. so id know a few ppl to keep grounded with.

Thanks for the reply. Im leaning towards scad due to bigger selection of majors.. but if i end up pursuing illustration(or think im going to) then I may lean towards ringling.. i got a lil while. Thanks again - piece - chudds

Thanks
    anyone know the required gpa to get into VCU?

Thanks
    GPA- i think you have to have a passing gpa to get in. People have 2's and get in here... they mainly want to see your portfolio for the art school.. they have a policy of accepting too many people (to get their money, probably), then weaning them out when they get to sophomore level.

I sound like I hate this place, I really don't, I'm just tired of dealing with it. I should stress that it's not a "bad" school, it's just not what it could be.

Thanks
    Yeah i understand. My gifted teacher here tells me how great it is. And shes a very wise woman who knows a ton about art history and schools and stuff. her son went there and she said there is no shame going there. I think the whole out of control party school rep for the academic portion which im sure is mostly true.. is what gives it that bleh feeling. The management isnt key-on it seems. But technically i wouldnt have a clue . and yea vcu prob doesnt give a crap about gpa even for an nonart major

Hey! Question... does anyone know how much of a positive influence Gov school for the arts is on a application.. i think someone said certain schools in the state give scholarships just for having that down as an experience. i know academically its considered pretty awesome to have.. but since art schools care so much on portfolios.. whats it to them?