Hello
    just wanted to know about my composition skills
    here is the future illustration without nothin,only the main girl
    I'm very bad in composition???

but i think add somethin like that.

some speed f-117 or somethin like that in the back and the moon , maybe put the situation in the space.
    what do you think?

sorry for my byzarre character.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey, I think the character design is pretty interesting!

So she flies and you want to put her in a scene in the air. But you have some problems. She is not in the most aerodynamic pose, she is situated vertically on the page, she is taking up a large amount of the viewing area, she is in the dead center of the picture plane and the picture plane is set up vertically (longer vertically than it is horizontally.) All of these things trump the idea of motion, speed and dynamics. There is also little room left to add anything more to the image without throwing things out of balance.

If you want to make an image with a good composition you have to set out from the start to make it so. It seems this image was a drawing of a character, that you now want to add a background to in order to give that character context. However, not considering other elements in the placement of your figure to begin with makes adding those element later very awkward.

If you really want to do a full blown image of this character flying through the air with fighter jets and a moon in the background then start a new image with that objective in mind. As for this image, the figure is and will be the only focus, so any kind of context or background you do add should be minimal so as not to distract or compete.

Hope that all makes sense! Rock on!
    ...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks

To perspect the whole body, or not to perspect. That is the question...

airman,

I agree with Mute. When you place a character on a page, then you put in the background as an afterthought, it rarely works out to be a believable or convincing composition.

I also agree that your character design has potential. I'm curious to see how the detailing works out.

Now, when you're placing your character into perspective, you can't make her figure seemingly in a 3/4 pose (as her boots and perspective lines suggest), and then not have the character's hips also be facing 3/4. It's like you have her body parts going in separate directions at once.

Wow, that's painful.

So, my suggestion (as you can see in the attachment) is for you to turn her body (starting with her hips) to align with your perspective. When you do that, the thigh closer to the camera now overlaps the one behind it. In perspective, suddenly her legs make more sense.

Even in perspective, I raised her left shoulder to align properly. These very small things are vitally important to making your character's pose and body convincing.

So next time you do a composition, try to think forward enough to know where your character is, what he/she's doing, who he/she's doing it with, so you can accommodate the space you need to convey all the information in your illustration.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to magnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey thanx a lot !
    Yes i should admit that in the first time ,the characters was on a blank page , then after, i got some ideas for a background and decided to creae a background for her.
    it seems that , it suxx , so i think i'm gonna just remove the background with satellites,spaceshuttles,earth etc etc and let the white blank background.
    i have some ideas for her ,so in the next illustrations, i'm gonna more thinking from the start to the background+her like both fusionned elements.

This , is a side illustration for training myself to composition , i thought this one like a little story , but i don't know if it's good , hope so!!

i thought this illustion in 16/9 type, hope it's gonna be cool in the end.

sorry for the lack of details, new version comes asap!!

for the megagirl, thanx again both!! i'll show you the final version in first.and like i said, i'll remove the background, it's not a problem^^
    of course magnut,i'll follow your suggestion, thanx you are very helpful!.you are right, i should be more focus on little details, that's why i'm bad in anatomy too.anyway i try to do my best!

Thanks

George Perez Comes To Mind!

Quote Originally Posted by airman View Post
    This , is a side illustration for training myself to composition , i thought this one like a little story , but i don't know if it's good , hope so!!

sorry for the lack of details, new version comes asap!!
    airman,

Your 'side illustration' is very impressive, because it shows that you are okay with taking risks. THIS is one of the key things that will propel you forward with how you apply your talent in your career.

It's good because it shows how your brain works. It shows that you're able to figure out spacial representations, even the extreme ones. I took my hands and made a TV-frame around the left part of your composition, and I then panned my frame to the right. It looked like a successful representation of a camera that pans from one side to the other, like I would see in any film or television show. Your fish-eye lens representation would work very well when designing environments for animation or comics, or concept designs for film or video games, or whatever.

Your 'side' reminded me immediately of George Perez. Back in the 1970's, Perez's work was in many ways not pretty. Figures were all lumpy, men's calves were the size of small boulders, and everyone looked like they needed to go on a diet.

This is a gross exaggeration, but you get my point.

But there was one thing I distinctly remember about Perez's work that always grabbed me and never let go: mannnnn, he was FEARLESS with how much detail he puts into his work. Same with his compositions. He would simply never back down from giving you the detail on windows on a building that's a good couple miles away from the camera!

I believe everyone forgave him for the small things that weren't quite 'well-drawn', because everyone was so damn impressed with the sheer energy that he was able to bring to his work. Cosmic was COSMIC in a George Perez comic book.

Over the years, he's made his characters more attractive and symmetrical, though we can see that his work has the same aesthetic that he started with, though it's MUCH more sophisticated and lush.

This is what I thought of when I saw your 'side'. Ambitious, well thought out. You shouldn't worry about your 'bad anatomy', because Perez had those problems when he started, too. Just keep punching your way through, and you'll be okay.

Now, stop complaining about what you're not able to do, and get your butt to finishing this drawing! I've seen that you have a brain, and you know how to use it, but now I want to see how you're able to bring a composition to completion!

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to magnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magnut View Post
    airman,

Your 'side illustration' is very impressive, because it shows that you are okay with taking risks. THIS is one of the key things that will propel you forward with how you apply your talent in your career.

It's good because it shows how your brain works. It shows that you're able to figure out spacial representations, even the extreme ones. I took my hands and made a TV-frame around the left part of your composition, and I then panned my frame to the right. It looked like a successful representation of a camera that pans from one side to the other, like I would see in any film or television show. Your fish-eye lens representation would work very well when designing environments for animation or comics, or concept designs for film or video games, or whatever.

Your 'side' reminded me immediately of George Perez. Back in the 1970's, Perez's work was in many ways not pretty. Figures were all lumpy, men's calves were the size of small boulders, and everyone looked like they needed to go on a diet.

This is a gross exaggeration, but you get my point.

But there was one thing I distinctly remember about Perez's work that always grabbed me and never let go: mannnnn, he was FEARLESS with how much detail he puts into his work. Same with his compositions. He would simply never back down from giving you the detail on windows on a building that's a good couple miles away from the camera!

I believe everyone forgave him for the small things that weren't quite 'well-drawn', because everyone was so damn impressed with the sheer energy that he was able to bring to his work. Cosmic was COSMIC in a George Perez comic book.

Over the years, he's made his characters more attractive and symmetrical, though we can see that his work has the same aesthetic that he started with, though it's MUCH more sophisticated and lush.

This is what I thought of when I saw your 'side'. Ambitious, well thought out. You shouldn't worry about your 'bad anatomy', because Perez had those problems when he started, too. Just keep punching your way through, and you'll be okay.

Now, stop complaining about what you're not able to do, and get your butt to finishing this drawing! I've seen that you have a brain, and you know how to use it, but now I want to see how you're able to bring a composition to completion!

Good luck!

"Your 'side illustration' is very impressive, because it shows that you are okay with taking risks. THIS is one of the key things that will propel you forward with how you apply your talent in your career. "

thanx a lot buddy!
    I'm like you said most well-know for taking risk than another thing(and often other artist hates me because of that...T__T, i get flamed most of the times on other art sites lol)

George Perez? , didn't know, maybe knew his work without know his name.
    I usually read more mangas than comics these days (even if i keep reading some comics like amazing spiderman ,catwoman etc etc)
    thanx a lot for that , you seems know well a lot of artist and have great culture.
    Now i saw him, it's very similar yes(the last pic you posted , i made a similar one when i was art student lol , with a lot people on pic, i like that!)

((for example, my big last illustration here is a bit full of elements too(of course i'm a rookie so i'm not compare my work with perez)
    I'm very bad in composition???))

When i say bad anatomy, it's just because i think my art style character is not popular(that's life)
    when you look at this:

(the character is featured as a roller derby girl)
    Some artist i know will insult me and flame me .

But you're right, i should stop complaining and work!

soon, retakes on megagirl and adavanced version of the "side" illustration!
    Last edited by airman; November 26th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks
    Ah, you are in (or near) Senegal Africa!

I write first, and never really look at where people are from.

I am very happy to see your finished work, which is very interesting and attractive. I hope you are getting paid for your talents.

Good luck with your future work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magnut View Post
    Ah, you are in (or near) Senegal Africa!

I write first, and never really look at where people are from.

I am very happy to see your finished work, which is very interesting and attractive. I hope you are getting paid for your talents.

Good luck with your future work!
    Thanx a lot to you!
    You helped more than you can imagine !!
    Now i can see many possiblities with my characters because yes, i followed your correction line and now it's better for me to draw characters(but i need work i know)
    so there is the new version, i think it's better , maybe for after i'll re-drawn the old pose of her.

Two version
    one alone
    and one with background.

Mega alone

Mega+BG

also another drawing i'm making, hope you gonna like it!.
    Candice the elve(in this version, she dont have elve ears, but human ears +starnge horns, it's just somethin free fun i wanted to do, the final drawing, i think to remove horn of course.)

colo speed+sketch(1 hour maybe)

candice is maybe inspired by some harry potter universe , i think i was inspoired by the movies maybe ,but anyway i found her cool and i dont draw usually this kind of heroic fantasy ...so i hope to go far with her.
    she is kinda old elve(i know it's weird)and she uses whip to fight mysterious creatures(she is a guardian of a mysterious library which have some dangerous devilish books of spells)
    I tried at least to keep her a young body, for the moment some people kinda love it .
    Personnally i like a lot her costume,maybe that's why i love to draw her.

edit2
    another character again
    Original character (from my animation project again)
    salama

I love derby roller girl ,so now i stopped animation and make a lot of characters designed in derby roller girl(just for fun and for change my habits)
    also ,it's very funny to see those girls running and fighting in the matches.

ps/yes, I live in senegal, in main economic town dakar.after my studies in france , i returned in africa^^'
    dont worry about the fact you didn't know i was african lol, it's normal, you can't know it, no one is perfect ^^
    For the moment ,unfortunetly i'm not hired ...i still looking for jobs, but i can't find even one ,i suxx all (yes i was graduated but no job lol , nothing ,shame on me, that's why i'm a bit in a sad mood ...)
    but i hope one day to begin to work!

anyway if you can't follow my work now, dont worry, but i'd like to have your site to see your works maybe (if i may ask)
    Last edited by airman; November 29th, 2008 at 12:35 AM.