Sketchbook: Sketchedelic - SKIP TO PAGE 6 - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Chaturvedi View Post
    Who was the teacher? I've been in Mark Tennant's and Chris Schenk's classes this semester and they've seemed really good. Don't know much about the rest of the faculty yet. Anyway, good to know you got all that practice. Is the exhibition an academy thing or what?
    Yeah the exhibition is for the pre-college classes... anyone who's anyone is going to be there.

I don't know the last name but I think his first name was Marco? He was Asian and didn't speak English extremely well, bowl-cut hair with glasses... Sound familiar?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Yeah the exhibition is for the pre-college classes... anyone who's anyone is going to be there.

I don't know the last name but I think his first name was Marco? He was Asian and didn't speak English extremely well, bowl-cut hair with glasses... Sound familiar?
    Hmm, doesn't ring a bell. This is my first semester here so I don't know which ones to look out for yet. I'll try to make it to that exhibition though, it'll be nice to see some of your stuff up close. Who knows though, probably see some in Dallas too (holy crap that workshop is gonna be fun).

Cheers.

-Sid

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool man! I'll see you there! Damn, Dallas... I need to get a portfolio printed up. :/

An acrylic sketch of Jason Rainville... Bad picture, sorry.

NP: Isis - Wavering Radiant

Disclaimer: I am not supporting the illegal pirating of music...

That said, buy this when it comes out in May (or in April if you get on the all holy VINYL) because it's AMAZING!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you have some sick stuff No way in hell you failed, you're young and have skill, just keep at it, grow, learn, and I'm sure your future is promising Good job with the airbrush art for that band & the drawing, must have been quite satisfying

DON'T GIVE UP.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Not much artwork in this thread, but what you have here is killer. Wish I had stopped in earlier.

It'd be cool to see you venture outside the style and themes you've been working in here though, the Rainville portrait is an interesting study.

Keep going man, nice stuff.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepulverture For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    AHH DUDE I SO FUCKING HATE YOU FOR GETTING TO MEET OPETH! Thats sooo frigin cool!

Anyways great work on that painting of Jason, and man you've gotta update this thing more, your digis are sick!

So lets see some art alright dude?
    cheers
    matt,

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been drawing non-stop these last few days. I have about more than about more than 50 pages to scan from my sketchbook and to photograph from other traditional stuff. For now, here's some digital stuff I've done. A figure study I'm working on from reference. Two Hogarth studies of torso anatomy. And three sketches I did at the workshop (2 from head and one from life though unfinished).

NP: Rainbow - Rising (Dio + Blackmore = win!!!)

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1239002280

that one is nice dude! Looking forward to the sketches.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Matsign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The finished character study. Ref is here.

NP: Nothing... just finished Yes - Fragile and before that Amesoeurs - Ruines Humanes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    man i'm so jealous of your paintin' skills
    you better update this more or i'll FUCKING FIND YOU AND politely suggest that you do.

dammit

17. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jake,

I thought that I posted in here before but I don't see it. Anyway, I like what you do and you seem to have some pretty mature skills for your age. I hope you keep doin' your thing.

Respect.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here's a MASSIVE (black) art dump of sketchbook stuff. Some of this stuff is very old. It should be apparent which drawings are newer though. I hope at least. This way you can see my progress I guess and how much of a friggin slacker I was this year. It's also sort of insane to the differences in quantity... I'm literally drawing as much in a day now as I used to in a month. These are various things some from imagination, some from life (like people in class in such or from models), and some from ref (Like some Bridg-Man Bridg Ma-han haha should ride you wild...). Lately I've been marking them but the earlier ones aren't marked. If something is scribbled over then it means I just really hated it. I still have to photograph the stuff from my AAU figure drawing course.

Also...

I'd like someone to mentor me in composition and dynamic image making (including abstraction). My images are almost always very bland compositionally. Theirs rarely more than one object and it's always directly in the center with no background work or anything. So that's what I'd mainly like to work on. Also color slightly but again, I know a little about that and I at least know what to study in order to improve in that area. PM me if you're interested!

Jake

NP: Gojira - The Way of All Flesh (was one of the best Tech Death albums of '08!)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    play0-wait, what? oops.

sorry about that. anyway, it's high time I checked out your stuff again!

I like these drawings and everything. your faces are looking good! but why use precious moleskine pages for Bridgman studies? Shouldn't they be used for rendered stuff? I don't know, I stopped doing gestures in mine for this reason.. and mine is almost full. Darn.

I bet you had an awesome time in Dallas!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sure is a lot of stuff. o-o

There's a vast difference in quality. Some really sick stuff, man.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jovian M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake -

dang dude! Have a freakin' update, why don't ya!? That is a crazy lot of stuff you've done lately - and all of it shows improvement just from a couple of pages ago. You really came back from Reverie driven!! When we were at Reverie you handed me DanielC's sketchbook and were all impressed (understandably), and you've got a lot to be impressed with here, as well. Your tonal work is great and you're definitely staying focused on strengthening your anatomy skills. Your concepts are great!

Also I just gotta say this older piece http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1235804322 is jus too wicked. I love your design sense and wish I'd had it when I was your age!

Keep it up. Try not to strain something with such a huge update - you might give your scanner a hemorrhage!

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to maldrin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, your lines have really cleaned up, keep it up.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great body of work there dude, my main critisim at the moment is to do with structure. If you can, buy a small hand mirror, that you can use to check on your pics for irregularities. A lot of your stuff leans to the side. Thats not to say a lot of it isnt really cool also

I like the slash portrait and this jumping dude the best becuase its got really cool clean lines

Also, you may wanna study necks and faces more, there is a lot of potential to create some really cool macabre looking art with your sort of grim portait works, but a lot of the time you have the neck connect in a strange way, or have it too short, or some other issues with structure. I feel if you continued to study regular human faces, and skulls, then you could do a really good job at distorting that.

Like this piece, I think it is a good example of your strengths and weaknesses

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1239524993

The rendering, and concept are cool, and interesting enough to be appealing but the lack of structure makes the jawline look flat, and the chest imbalanced.

Just keep on working at this pace and I can't wait to see where you go

Also, have you heard of the album, Lazarus Bird, by Burst, It seems really cool so far

take care bretheren!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Miles_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jake,

Happy belated birthday! I keep thinking like... you're 20, you have to be.
    Seems a little surreal that you only just turned 16.

Was great meeting you, you you you, with your sensible head on your neck and good ideas and all.

And kickass update you posted man! I still remember standing in line with you infront of marko and coro so vividly, and you coming away almost refreshed at the ideas, their ideas, yup, powerful stuff (something about no one else needing to see what you fill your sketchbook with? doing art for yourself, mhm).
    Yeah.

See you in Germany or Italy! (at least send a robot or something, k?)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Helioth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Max Challie... I'm not really sure. I carry my Moleskine in my pocket so I always have it with me. Therefore I use it for all drawings, not just rendered works. I suppose if I had enough room to carry two or three sketchbooks I could vary it like that?

@Meissner. Thanks!

@Maldrin. Thanks man! Actually that piece is newer than many of the sketches I posted... Dan's sketchbook was maybe my favorite part of the workshop... ugh I'm such a fnboi!

@Dile_. TACK SJÄLV!

@SamC. Thanks!

@Miles. Long time no espeaky mang! I greatly appreciate the criticsm and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! It's funny that you say the thing about the neck studies because if you look a bit after (or before?) that drawing there's about 3 pages worth of neck studies hahaha. And yeah, Lazarus Bird is a really impressive album.

@Helioth. I already told you on Facebook but thank you so much for the comment! It's comments like those that are very inspiring. I'm so sorry but I very, very, severely doubt that I am going to be able to make it to the Euro Workshop. Maybe a robot...

I haven't had a chance to scan my traditional stuff but I'll hopefully get that done soon... For now here is some digital stuff. A very work-in-progress logo that I'm designing for myself. It's sort of black-metal-esque... The first picture is the ink work with the sketch under it and the second is only the ink. The others are just random sketches that have been accumulating in my hard drive...

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hola amigo!

Really nice stuff you have been ptting out lately, I envy you the chance to go to such a fantastic venue as the Massive Black thing, I am so gonna be there when they come to europe^^

Anyhoot your stuff is looking better and better, though you seem to be focusing on singular issues when doing different pieces, ie. some have very good structure but the rendering is so so, and vice versa. Try and take the time to combine the two, and you might find that to be quite helpfull

Also the digi stuff is looking a lot better since last I looked in on you. The life studies are real nice, especially the edges and all, and even though I find hogarth best left in pencil, those digi studies are looking quite alright

Keep up the good work, and try to update more regularly, like once a day

-E

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischeviouslittleelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PROGRESSS!!
    Keep drawing dont stop! More more more!
    You are starting to get rly good!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looks like you're studying hard, but not forgetting to have fun too.
    i see great balance of what you need to go and what you want to do in that art dump of yours.
    keep up the hard work, and you'll be a freaking art god before you hit 19. *__*

42. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Logo's done! I'm REALLY excited about how this came out! I've never done a "pro" logo before and I've always wanted to. Black Metal logos are one of my favorite art-genres... they're truly beautiful! I'm dreaming of getting so T-Shirts printed with this design!!! If I did, honestly, would you guys buy them??? It says KO B R IN btw...

44. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looking great man! i like the logo haha.. nice ! do more studies man..

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huge improvements Jake, huge improvements. There's a lot of great stuff in that April 12th dump. Your logo is pretty cool, and it would make a sweet tshirt. You could put it onto one of those sites that prints on demand and you get a cut.... cafe press or something? That way if anyone bought one you could get a few $'s, but you wouldn't have any risk....?

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

48. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sweet logo, mang. Reminds me of some good times.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Brushcommander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you DO want to buy a T-Shirt tell me what size you want. They're $20 each ($21 for 2XL) and the logo is in red on a black t-shirt.

SEND ME A PM, DON'T POST IT HERE!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have come a long way since I first saw you on CHOW. Keep up the good work!

53. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.